X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which French composer/violinist might have been awoken in 1958 by a guitarist born in New York State and, a few years later, by a British group who signed up with Brian Epstein?

Comment

It might help if I insert 'Baroque' between 'French' and 'composer/violinst'; he would have been asleep for just over 200 years before the first possible awakening.

Comment

I'm going to be rebellious and ask: what letter we are on, Norfy?
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I think you might have all the 'elements' to the answer...would you care to elaborate? (I have to go offline shortly for about 4 hours).

Comment

OK if on-one else will, but you might have to wait a little while for the "S"

Jean-Féry Rebel (18 April 1666 – 2 January 1747) French Baroque composer and violinist

Duane Eddy - Rebel-Rouser

Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers was the first London band to be signed by The Beatles manager, Brian Epstein

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I'll plod on. What S links:

A hippo.
              A long professional partnership
              The Lord of the Rings
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                I'll plod on. What S links:

A hippo.
                A long professional partnership
                The Lord of the Rings
                Well done Flay, a plodder is to be commended. Duty before pleasure. Tortoise and the Hare and all that.

Well, a hippo instantly invokes Flanders & Swann or Fantasia and the Duke Ellington take on Tchaikovsky, but neither of these can relate to the other two elements. So, I just thought we'd get it out of the way before the regular crew come aboard!!

Comment

Donald Swann?

Wrote Music for Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud during his long professional partnership with Stephanie's dad, and gave some of Tolkein's words Music in his cycle Th Road Goes Ever On.

?
                  Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 29-02-12, 17:55.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying - events, dear boy, events (nothing serious, but time-consuming).
                    Flay's answer is of course correct in all its rebellious glory.

Comment

Thank you norfy

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Well done Flay, a plodder is to be commended. Duty before pleasure. Tortoise and the Hare and all that.
                      Well, a hippo instantly invokes Flanders & Swann or Fantasia and the Duke Ellington take on Tchaikovsky, but neither of these can relate to the other two elements.
                      You should have plodded a little longer, Anna, you were nearly there.

So, I just thought we'd get it out of the way before the regular crew come aboard!!
                      But too late! Pipped to it by ferney!

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Donald Swann?
                      Wrote Music for Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud during his long professional partnership with Stephanie's dad, and gave some of Tolkein's words Music in his cycle Th Road Goes Ever On
                      No need for the eroteme, ferney. It's T time already!
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                        events, dear boy, events
                        Reminds me of that line in Bennett's 'History Boys': "History? It's just one f***in' thing after another"

Swann sounds right. I had no idea Stephanie Flanders off t'telly was Donald's offspring.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

You should have plodded a little longer, Anna, you were nearly there.
                          But too late! Pipped to it by ferney
                          Story of my life Flay, always bowing and scraping to the superior male, not watching Top Gear and not being able to comment about headlights or batteries and Other Vitally Important but Totally Boring Things ....

Comment

No need for the eroteme, ferney. It's T time already!
                            Indeed it is! A teaser to follow after tea!

(And, Anna, as well you know - there ain't no such animal as the "superior male"!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              (And, Anna, as well you know - there ain't no such animal as the "superior male"!
                              Yes, but us women have to buy into the whole fantasy to make them think they are superior otherwise the poor dabs would become unmanageable and burst into tears at the slightest provocation. Oh, it's their hormones of course, slave to them they are!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                Story of my life Flay, always bowing and scraping to the superior male
                                But not today, Anna. It's the 29th Feb. You can kneel to propose! It's not too late.

Who here is going to be your lucky man?
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X