X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm two-thirds of the way there, but seem to have ended up on the homepage of 'The X Factor' in the search for the third.....

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
      I think I'm two-thirds of the way there, but seem to have ended up on the homepage of 'The X Factor' in the search for the third.....
      She's quite pretty though, so your effort was not wasted
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I haven't quite worked out the Diana Vickers/Stacey(?) Solomon link...
        Jon Vickers has played Peter Grimes
        Howard Goodall wrote the theme for 'The Vicar of Dibley'.

Comment

Jon Vickers has played Peter Grimes
          Howard Goodall wrote the theme for 'The Vicar of Dibley'.
          2 out of 3 ain't bad.

I haven't quite worked out the Diana Vickers/Stacey(?) Solomon link...
          And you won't, because it's not her. Keep it going, every syllable is a second gained...
          Last edited by Flay; 01-03-12, 10:29. Reason: correcting my quote <doh> (which is not a clue by the way)
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

The Vicar of Bray by Edward Solomon ??

Comment

Actually that quote couldbe a clue. It was very close. Very close indeed. I wish I were cleverer.
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                The Vicar of Bray by Edward Solomon ??
                Yes indeed. Can you work out why my non-clue could have been a clue?
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                  Can you work out why my non-clue could have been a clue?
                  I haven't really been following this question, I don't know which clue you're referring to

Comment

Are you referring to the songs in the 1882 comic opera The Vicar of Bray by Mr Solomon?

Comment

Yes indeed, Solomon's Vicar of Bray

Sorry I confused you. I was referring to my mutterings:
                      Keep it going, every syllable is a second gained... Last edited by Flay; Today at 09:29. Reason: correcting my quote <doh> (which is not a clue by the way)
                      It could have been a clue. I had wondered if you knew of a connection between "every syllable is a second gained" and the somewhere near Bray, that was all. Me trying to be too clever (one has to aspire on AA with the powerful intellects hereabouts)
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Thank you. So...
                        Which 'W' connects Washington, Arnold and Norwell?

Comment

Thank you. So...
                          Which 'W' connects Washington, Arnold and Norwell?
                          Well it's not Antal Dowati!

Comment

a connection between "every syllable is a second gained" and the somewhere near Bray
                            I'm intrigued. what is that connection ? where is that somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              I'm intrigued. what is that connection ? where is that somewhere?
                              One of my favourite plays, Beckett's "Embers" - the location was supposedly Killiney Beach, just north of Bray.

Towards the end of the play when his late wife stops talking to him in his mind (just as she appears to be telling him answers he longs for, perhaps about the death of his father) he pleads with her: "Keep on, keep on! Keep it going, Ada, every syllable is a second gained."

But she doesn't return, so he continues talking by himself (as he always has done): "Not yet! You needn't speak. Just listen. Not even. Be with me. [Pause.] Ada! [Pause. Louder. ] Ada! [Pause.] Christ! [Pause.] Hooves! [Pause. Louder.] Hooves! [Pause. ] Christ! [Long pause]" etc

I have the script - signed by Michael Gambon
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

One of my favourite plays, Beckett's "Embers" - the location was supposedly Killiney Beach, just north of Bray.

Towards the end of the play when his late wife stops talking to him in his mind (just as she appears to be telling him answers he longs for, perhaps about the death of his father) he pleads with her: "Keep on, keep on! Keep it going, Ada, every syllable is a second gained."

But she doesn't return, so he continues talking by himself (as he always has done): "Not yet! You needn't speak. Just listen. Not even. Be with me. [Pause.] Ada! [Pause. Louder. ] Ada! [Pause.] Christ! [Pause.] Hooves! [Pause. Louder.] Hooves! [Pause. ] Christ! [Long pause]" etc

I have the script - signed by Michael Gambon

Good esoteric stuff, Flay Hadn't got a clue what you were talking about earlier!
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X