This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    Which 'B' connects offerings from an American songwriter in 1907, an English composer the following year, and another English composer a further 18 years later?
    Daisy Bell
    Wand of Youth Little Bells
    Grainger Blithe Bells

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Grainger Blithe Bells
      ... but Grainger was an Orstrylian - who eventually became a US citizen - so not an "English composer"??

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        ......... or is it grizzly ?

Comment

oh, just returned to computer, I thought cloughie had it there.

if I give the answer to this, would cloughie like to set the next one?

Bratton - Teddy Bears' Picnic - 1907 - words added later
          Elgar - Wand of Youth, Wild Bears - 1908
          The 3 Bears Phantasy - Coates - 1926

Comment

Bears it is! Over to cloughie?

Comment

Bears it is! Over to cloughie?
              Can I pass for now as I am busy with other things.

Comment

C connecting

section 7 before The Dance Song
                an 1859 novel
                a fifteenth string quartet worth 50 ducats

Comment

Dance Song = Tanzlied
                  American novel

Comment

Only quick, shall I essay some thoughts which can be discounted? To encourage the others. Only 1859 Novels I can think of is Tale of Two Cities and Adam Bede. The ducats stuff is surely Beethoven? This answer is complete nonsense of course but mercia can dismiss them to let others get to the goal. Incidentally, the combination of a C connecting a Section brought fear to this female. Oh, perhaps it has to do with Julius Caesar?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      weird links!
                      yes very weird. you're spot on with Beethoven. it's a very obscure American novel.

section 7 of 9. section 1 used cinematically by Stan(ley).

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        yes very weird. you're spot on with Beethoven. it's a very obscure American novel.

section 7 of 9. section 1 used cinematically by Stan(ley).
                        Ah, you quoted my weird links and then I deleted them, for fear of being thought weird!
                        Edit at 22:07, have I killed this thread stone dead? Sorry!
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-03-12, 23:08.

Comment

The novel is 'The Convalescent' by Nathaniel Parker Willis.
                          The 7th section of 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' is 'Der Genesende' (= The Convalescent) [Stanley Kubrick 2001 A Space Odyssey]
                          The third movement of Beethoven's String Quartet Opus 132 is described as 'a convalescent's holy song of thanksgiving'.
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-03-12, 00:12.

Comment

Oh well done Norfy. And thanks for the heads up re The Indian Doctor and smallpox in Wales. Have caught up on iplayer, bit like Heartbeat with hypodermics! Also, I am back into Corrie, goodness me, who will deliver Frank's fatal blow? Back on topic, Oh, I never knew that!

Comment

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying 'The Indian Doctor'. It's a bit formulaic, but has its moments. I've been very impressed by Mark Heap, and Megan is lovely!
                              I've no idea who killed (I mean is going to kill!) Frank, but if it turns out to be Simon I shall be happy to contribute to the poor lad's defence fund.
                              (Don't worry about caliban, by the way - he knows about The Event that will be revealed on Monday night).

Comment

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying 'The Indian Doctor'. It's a bit formulaic, but has its moments. I've been very impressed by Mark Heap, and Megan is lovely!
                                Actually Norfy, I really enjoyed it! Mark Heap was the uptight postie in Larkrise I think? I knew I had seen him somewhere else being anally retentive! No, thank very much for a gentle, entertaining programme. I look forward to series 3.
                                (Don't worry about caliban, by the way - he knows about The Event that will be revealed on Monday night).
                                You edited your post! When should I ever worry about Caliban and the Event to be revealed on Monday? On, blimey, now I am worried ..... does he have a guest spot on Corrie ... is ower Cali the real Nigel Havers?
                                Last edited by Guest; 03-03-12, 00:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X