This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    a childhood addiction to the "Five" and "Seven" stories....
    me too (much to the hilarity of schoolfriends)

I think P Rabbit & friends belong to Beatrix, don't they ?

Comment

Flay, I reckon - got the K-k-k-king connection.

My only links with Ms Blyton were being brought up on Peter Rabbit and Mr McGregor, &c., notably Mrs Tiggywinkle (the nickname for one of my grandmothers... "Before you let the sun in, make sure he wipes his boots") and a childhood addiction to the "Five" and "Seven" stories....
      Beatrix Potter, surely?
      Enid Blyton peaked in her Famous Fifties and died in her Secret Seventies. I used to read the 'Adventure' series (with Kiki the parrot).

Comment

My only links with Ms Blyton were being brought up on Peter Rabbit and Mr McGregor, &c., notably Mrs Tiggywinkle (the nickname for one of my grandmothers... [I]"Before you let the sun in, make sure he wipes his boots"[/I]) and a childhood addiction to the "Five" and "Seven" stories....
        Actually, that's Mrs. Ogmore Pritchard in Under Milk Wood, (and it's shoes not boots) ..... not Mrs. Tiggywinkle! So you have muddled memories of Blyton, Potter and now Dylan Thomas!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
          Beatrix Potter, surely?
          Enid Blyton peaked in her Famous Fifties and died in her Secret Seventies. I used to read the 'Adventure' series (with Kiki the parrot).
          Thanks Norfy, Merc and Anna for giving Cal a noddy in the right direction - he probably thinks Harry was Beatrix's grandson!

He should have kept his big ears open when listening to stories as a kid.

Comment

My kids liked the Famous Five - their stories were superior to the silly secret Seven, although I have a suspicion it was the Dick and Fanny references that kept them chuckling

Let's try an L:

A happy song before death
            An opera about a capital French dandy (translation required for the L)
            A musical set in Times Square
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              Actually, that's Mrs. Ogmore Pritchard in Under Milk Wood, (and it's shoes not boots) ..... not Mrs. Tiggywinkle! So you have muddled memories of Blyton, Potter and now Dylan Thomas!
              B*gger!!! I did make a Horlicks of that, didn't I?! But I'm not so think as you drunk I am!

I much preferred Thomas the Tank Engine ( toot toot, Anna !!!) to Beatrix Potter and the Biggles stories to Julian and George's cavortings, anyway.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

He should have kept his big ears open when listening to stories as a kid.
                That's right, kick a man when he's down!

Comment

Thomas the Tank Engine
                  by Audrey off Corrie

Comment

B*gger!!! I did make a Horlicks of that, didn't I?! But I'm not so think as you drunk I am!

I much preferred Thomas the Tank Engine ( toot toot, Anna !!!) to Beatrix Potter and the Biggles stories to Julian and George's cavortings, anyway.
                    Yes indeed Caliban, the phrase "Pig's Ear" springs to mind ....... but you evidently had an interesting crossover literary childhood and if you wish to remember your Grandma as Mrs Ogmore Pritchard crossed with a hedgehog, well, we all have our funny little ways! Personally, I was quite fond of Arthur Ransome and Swallows & Amazons.

To keep on topic: I have no idea about Parisian Dandies. Might be more your area of expertise?

Comment

Parisian - brilliant deduction, Anna.

Poor Calibs, is it making you want to swear and curse?
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                        Parisian - brilliant deduction, Anna.
                        Brilliant? Moi? I just been down on a memory lane trip with Julian and George! Gosh! George, or Georgina, is arguably the most interesting character of the Blyton charactera, and certainly the most popular as far as fans are concerned. She's feisty, obstinate, brave, strong-willed as well as strong physically, an excellent swimmer and impressive in a small rowing boat and insists her hair is cut like a boy.
                        Cripes, Julian! Does Cardinal O'Brien know about these books?

Comment

Geor(gina) was the best, even I agree. Julian was too wet.

Back to the L. Parisian is correct in English, but in the French translation it would be parisienne

Many alleged that my "happy song before death" was blasphemous when it was written. The whole caboodle was banned in some places.

Corry was a shocker just now, wasn't it?
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                            Geor(gina) was the best, even I agree. Julian was too wet.

Back to the L. Parisian is correct in English, but in the French translation it would be parisienne

Many alleged that my "happy song before death" was blasphemous when it was written. The whole caboodle was banned in some places.

Corry was a shocker just now, wasn't it?
                            I suppose we are dealing with Life as we know it!

The song must be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ from Life of Brian...

La Vie Parisienne is the opera? (Life - Vie: bit of a cheat Mr F - let's blame the Night Nurse! - but you get away with it coz you're ill)

Google tells me there was a musical called The Life...

Looking forward to Corrie at the weekend: do please keep the spoilers non-specific, just like that appetising one Mr F !!

Comment

Has Flay retired in a post-Corrie fit of nervous shock??!

I have a small M prepared, but await dutifully in the starting gate...

Comment

Has Flay retired in a post-Corrie fit of nervous shock??!

I have a small M prepared, but await dutifully in the starting gate...
                                Forgive me. I had indeed been watching the Corrie second part, and am duly traumatised. While I was watching a friend texted with a spoiler. Don't worry, I'll give nothing away.

You are indeed right in all respects, Caliban. Forgive my little cheat. I couldn't find anything else musical about Life in English.

I just wanted an excuse to post this video, which to me is Python at its peak:

I had an evil Latin teacher, I suffered him for 2 years. He had a strap called Excalibur which he used to great effect for the slightest error.

The M is yours.
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X