X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Who they?

I get the LvB but what's the dead ringer reference (I get the Quasimodo connection...) but Meat Loaf? One of his songs?
    Cal - a brief tutorial for you in a different timezone/genre combination.

Explore Quasi's discography including top tracks, albums, and reviews. Learn all about Quasi on AllMusic.

Q isn't the easiest letter to set, or it appears to solve!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Explore Quasi's discography including top tracks, albums, and reviews. Learn all about Quasi on AllMusic.

Indeed it isn't! I must confess that, if I've been fortunate enough to solve a 'P', I usually cop out and jump to 'R'.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
        Indeed it isn't! I must confess that, if I've been fortunate enough to solve a 'P', I usually cop out and jump to 'R'.
        New kid on the block learns the hard way!

This game seems to have the rules of petanque and Mornington Crescent

Comment

After nearly 2800 posts, I'm still learning. The most recent thing I've learned is that there are still perfectly good 'Q' questions out there! (I once got taken to task for setting a question where all 4 elements were the titles of Abba songs - but the Church of AA is thankfully a broad one, and I wasn't excommunicated).

Comment

I'm obliged to Counsel. They are ensembles akin, I presume, to... ahem... ah!... The... ah... Beatles?

PS Knock-out, Knorfy - now get yer Rs in gear!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Bonjour tout le monde!

Which 'R' connects: a peace treaty; an orchestral interlude from a work, the composer of which shares a name with a character; and a Chicago dance hall?
              Last edited by Guest; 08-03-12, 09:35. Reason: (Hopefully) greater clarity!

Comment

Bonjour tout le monde!

Which 'R' connects: a peace treaty; an orchestral interlude from a work, the composer of which shares a name with a character; and a Chicago dance hall?

Salut!

Ah... a four-parter! We had another of those very recently, or even a five-parter, didn't we?

Is the R word a place name which also fits the other contexts?

Whilst writing, how is the Lady Norfolk coping with the shocks and surprises from Weatherfield?

(I now have foreign visitors this weekend - I shan't be catching up with the omnibus till at least Sunday evening )

Comment

I'm obliged to Counsel. They are ensembles akin, I presume, to... ahem... ah!... The... ah... Beatles?

In the broadest sense in that their music not strictly classical, but sound very different to the Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starkey, and have not benefited from the talents of George Martin, who did start off strictly classical!

Comment

Ah... a four-parter! We had another of those very recently, or even a five-parter, didn't we?

I think if you look at the semicolons this is in three parts...

Comment

peace treaties - hundreds to choose from - does it start with R ?
                      orchestral interludes - a fair number to choose from - does the character who shares his/her name with the composer appear in the work from which the interlude comes ? is the work an opera ?
                      dance halls - Freiberg? Aragon ? Trianon ?

[p.s. is the use of google/wiki now forbidden ?]

Comment

Yes, it's a three-parter.
                        The peace treaty does not begin with 'R', but the celebratory work does.
                        'R' is part of a place name in one case only.
                        The interlude, which begins with 'R', does feature in an opera.
                        The dance hall begins with R;
                        The Lady Norfolk is still managing - just - not to spit feathers whenever Carla appears. (If we were a bit - by which I mean quite a bit - younger, I think we'd seriously consider adopting Simon before he's terminally damaged).

Comment

Yes, it's a three-parter.
                          The peace treaty does not begin with 'R', but the celebratory work does.
                          'R' is part of a place name in one case only.
                          The interlude, which begins with 'R', does feature in an opera.
                          The dance hall begins with R;
                          The Lady Norfolk is still managing - just - not to spit feathers whenever Carla appears. (If we were a bit - by which I mean quite a bit - younger, I think we'd seriously consider adopting Simon before he's terminally damaged).
                          Ah yes... three parts... whoops. Early morning bleariness. Pleased to hear about her Ladyship!!

Comment

the celebratory work
                            is that the opera that begins with R or another work related to the peace treaty?
                            is the opera by Wagner?
                            which century is the treaty?

Comment

The peace treaty was signed in the 18th century and led to the commissioning of the celebratory work.
                              The opera is not by Wagner, and doesn't begin with 'R' (but it does feature an interlude that does).
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-03-12, 11:56.

Comment

True: but yours was a corker!
                                I'd never've got the Sam & Janet, but missing Beethoven is reproachable . And "dead ringer" is a perfectly reasonable translation of Quasi!

Bravo, Cloughie!
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X