This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    Your'e looking for a word that occurs in the titles of a song in each of the first two cases, and in the third case for a surname adopted by a singer-songwriter.
    D for Dee

1762 Miller of Dee
    1946 Zip ah dee doo dah
    1968 Dave Dee

Comment

The Cheshire folk song 'The Miller of Dee ' features in Arne's 1762 ballad opera 'Love In A Village', and the song 'Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah' in the part-animated Oscar-winning 1946 film 'Song Of The South'. In 1968, 'The Legend of Xanadu' was a No. 1 hit for Dave Dee , Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.

Comment

My mother taught me to sing The Miller of the Dee when she used to bath me in the kitchen sink (so I'd be about 4) and I remember being fairly traumatised even then by its bleak world-view

Antonio Quaranta singing "The Miller of Dee" arranged by Benjamin BrittenPiano: Ryan Palmer

[other ways of traumatising your child are available ]

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post

The Cheshire folk song 'The Miller of Dee ' features in Arne's 1762 ballad opera 'Love In A Village', and the song 'Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah' in the part-animated Oscar-winning 1946 film 'Song Of The South'. In 1968, 'The Legend of Xanadu' was a No. 1 hit for Dave Dee , Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.
          Please can somebody else take the E - I've things to do!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Please can somebody else take the E - I've things to do!

Back in the loop and happy to oblige with an E...

... linking operas set in medieval Flanders and an apparently tumble-down house, with the Americas.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Puccini's Edgar ??

can't help you with the rest though

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                Puccini's Edgar ??

Bravo mercs

following on, what about Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  Puccini's Edgar ??

Fall of the House of Usher (Philip Glass, based on Edgar Allan Poe) ???

Comment

And possibly Amériques by Edgard Varèse

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                      Fall of the House of Usher (Philip Glass, based on Edgar Allan Poe) ???
                      Or perhaps the uinfinished opera by Debussy La chute de la maison Usher?

Comment

Ammy 2 Mercia 1

I know Varèse was sometimes Edgard, but equally sometimes Edgar

I was thinking of the Debussy (had no idea about Glass having essayed it - ammy, you probably guessed I wouldn't! )

So even though mercia scored first with the E, I think ammy goes into the next round

F us up, man!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Ammy 2 Mercia 1

I know Varèse was sometimes Edgard, but equally sometimes Edgar

I was thinking of the Debussy (had no idea about Glass having essayed it - ammy, you probably guessed I wouldn't! )

So even though mercia scored first with the E, I think ammy goes into the next round

F us up, man!
                          I knew nothing of Mr Glass' effort but I did attend a performance of Debussy's at the South Bank aeons ago, when they used to have a summer festival there.

How exciting! ....

What F might link a stramash that starts in a Gitanes factory, a painter who should have kept away from razors, and a somnolent comely wench of good breeding?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

What F might link a stramash that starts in a Gitanes factory, a painter who should have kept away from razors, and a somnolent comely wench of good breeding?
                            Frasquita ???

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              Frasquita ???
                              I had to look up frasquita scb - I can see what you mean but it's not what's on the card.

Comment

A knotty poser, ammy. A bijou clue-ette to set us up for the evening, praps?

Comment

Working...
                                X