Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
      Like a Gong?
      indeed - can they be harmonic ? - I've no idea

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        Sacred Sound/Harmonic Gong concert Nia Moves Houston, TX. The gong has long been considered magical in many societies and used throughout the ages as a tool ...
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Wiki: <<Large flat gongs may be 'primed' by lightly hitting them before the main stroke, greatly enhancing the sound and causing the instrument to "speak" sooner, with a shorter delay for the sound to "bloom". Keeping this priming stroke inaudible calls for a great deal of skill. The smallest suspended gongs are played with bamboo sticks, or even western-style drumsticks. Contemporary & avant-garde music, where different sounds are sought, will often use friction mallets (producing squeals & harmonics), bass bows (producing long tones and high overtones), and various striking implements (wood/plastic/metal) to produce the desired tones.>>

So yes, they can.

Furthermore: <<Gongs can also be immersed into a tub of water after being struck. This is called "water gong" and is called for in several orchestral pieces.>>

That would make them damp all right.
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

can they be harmonic ?
            well, Charlene's are, as long as you're prepared to sit on the floor

Comment

... this G is not a musical instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... this G is not a musical instrument.
                ..... so are we in the land of notation / ornamentation ?

Comment

Or gardens? Hanging ones in Babylon. We aspire for all our gardens to be harmonious, and hopefully damp (especially those who live in the south-east!)
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Or gardens? Hanging ones in Babylon. We aspire for all our gardens to be harmonious, and hopefully damp (especially those who live in the south-east!)
                    sounds good to me. at one point I thought it might be Gene (Kelly) who got a bit damp in a musical I think.

Grace notes ????

Comment

Gardens it is!

Yes - but now some details please. Various languages are involved...

Comment

well done flay brilliant

Comment

well done flay brilliant
                          What the heck??? How did I get that right? I think you're going to have to help me out here, mercs.

"Various languages"..... Greek: κήπος, Azerbaijani: bağ, Esperanto: ĝardeno, Arabic: حديقة, or perhaps Welsh: gardd
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

What the heck??? How did I get that right? I think you're going to have to help me out here, mercs.

"Various languages"..... Greek: κήπος, Azerbaijani: bağ, Esperanto: ĝardeno, Arabic: حديقة, or perhaps Welsh: gardd
                            ... o, I'm not that cruel - German, French, and Italian shd suffice

Comment

help me out here, mercs.
                              I think the harmonic one is Italian (dating from 1696)
                              the damp one French ?
                              the suspended one either French or German ???

I'm sure you don't need my help

Comment

I think the harmonic one is Italian (dating from 1696)
                                the damp one French ?
                                the suspended one either French or German ???
                                right on all counts (tho' the Italian I was thinking of was founded in 1985... )

The hanging one German...

So - flay or merx - are you going to give us the details??

Comment

Working...
                                X