This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Intriguing, norfs. Going out for a spin on the bike to do some chores. Shall attempt to solve senza wiki

Did you really spot who done Frank in before it was announced? What gave it away for you?
    Yes, honestly. It was her shifty reaction to the business of the missing watch, which strengthened my suspicion that, having lost her husband, the thought of being elbowed out of the business had probably unhinged her. Fine performance from Gwen Taylor, I thought.

Comment

Intriguing, norfs. Going out for a spin on the bike to do some chores. Shall attempt to solve senza wiki

Did you really spot who done Frank in before it was announced? What gave it away for you?
      A spin on your bike doing some chores, what's that then, will you be freewheeling in a pinny with a feather duster brushing the cobwebs off the petals in the park?

As to Frank's killer, if you recall Caliban you asked me whodunnit last weekend, to which I gave you the correct answer. I think Frank was going to cut her out of the business with his latest squeeze and she also realised that Frank did in fact rape Carla as she overheard the conversation, being as she was concealed in the factory, the watch of was central as it belonged to her late husband. All good stuff and better than watching the dreadful Platts! Edit: Oh Norfy and I make a good detective team!!

Comment

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
        You see, Flay, FAR too easy, despite the disclaimer - got it in half an hour, by Jove! I shouldn't have included Napoleon, on reflection, that was a bit of a giveaway, should have put Lenin (Khachaturian) instead. Particularly well done, Caliban, for getting the Exhibition one -- I was damn sure that was google-proof! (I'd hoped someone had set McGonagall's Ode to Torquay, but no-one's set it to music, alas (yet):

"All ye lovers of the picturesque, away
        To beautiful Torquay .....

Also a mistake to have put five or six instead of three, as it lessens the odds, but I think whoever started this malarkey said three to six words?
        One learns, one learns. At least I've lost my virginity, perhaps to Anna's dismay.

(But, composer of Intimations of Immortality? Birth? and I hadn't intended the Duke of Wellington as the 'death' one.)
        I'm getting everyone in a right mix-up here, thanks to Mrs Flay rushing me to get up and out this morning.

I confess that I overlooked Holst's Ode to Death, based upon a poem by Walt Whitman.

The others I chose were poems. That's allowed (chiz chiz). I didn't realise you wanted all music. I should have remembered: always read the question. You did say "we sing of... "

By the way, Jiffl, it's OK, you can use as many clues as you want. We haven't had Topaz yet!

And as for Norfy:
        Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
        Gosh- I didn't think I'd done enough to be asked to set the next question! Led by the refernce to 'creatures', I then came upon a chamber opera called 'Prometheus Bound' by Christopher Lord. Dunno where Meg fits in.
        However... if I can't manage a Q, I'll work on an 'R'. (And there I was, all set to do a bit of gardening...)
        The referees are considering a recall on this one, to solve the Meg mystery and the rest of it
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          The referees are considering a recall on this one, to solve the Meg mystery and the rest of it
          What are you on Flay - I thought we was on our Rs are you questioning the veracity of the latest P Or has Mrs. Flay's splurges on the shopping spree got you frazzled!

Comment

I would have thought that 3 minutes short of 2 hours was a bit late for a recall, but.....
            might the predictor have been Margaret Rowen? I think I've covered the 'Creatures' element.

Comment

"Mystic" or Prometheus or Promethean chord c/o Scriabin ??

regarding hero of the day, is that Schubert?
              he wrote a Prometheus song, apparently orchestrated by Nielsen
              Liszt and Faure also had a go at Prometheus, as did Scriabin of course
              there's also a "scenic oratorio" by Rudolf Wagner-Regeny
              Last edited by mercia; 24-03-12, 17:58.

Comment

I'm off to enjoy the sunshine in the conservatory and start my latest library book ('How To Survive The Titanic' by Frances Wilson). I'll pop back in an hour or so to discover (a) whether we're still on 'P' and, if not, (b) whether anybody's made any progress with my 'R'.

Comment

(b) whether anybody's made any progress with my 'R'.

I have no idea what's going on with the M, N, O, P & Q... so am concentrating on R.

It's not Respighi, is it?
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    A spin on your bike doing some chores, what's that then, will you be freewheeling in a pinny with a feather duster brushing the cobwebs off the petals in the park?

As to Frank's killer, if you recall Caliban you asked me whodunnit last weekend, to which I gave you the correct answer. I think Frank was going to cut her out of the business with his latest squeeze and she also realised that Frank did in fact rape Carla as she overheard the conversation, being as she was concealed in the factory, the watch of was central as it belonged to her late husband. All good stuff and better than watching the dreadful Platts! Edit: Oh Norfy and I make a good detective team!!
                    Exactly, Anna - have you been watching me on my bike?!?

What a vivid imagination you have, if not!

In fact dull stuff like picking things up from dry cleaning, finding shoe laces (they have kept breaking lately ... infuriating first thing in the morning when one's already late!), that sort of chore.

Congrats to you and Norfy on the deductions. I had no idea. Sad that's all over, now as you say it's just the trailer trash Platts and whether horse-faced Audrey shall be surprised in 'leg over' mode with Nigel Havers!!!

Comment

- an upcoming celebration
                      anything to do with the Queen ? .............. Regina ???

Comment

It's not Respighi, is it?
                        Actually, I can answer my own question... yes it is. I knew it was nagging away at my subconscious, and I've nalied it.

Respighi's 'Feste Romane' are:

1. Circenses: Circuses [as in 'Bread and...']
                        2. Giubileo: Jubilee [as in the Royal...]
                        3. L'Ottobrata: October Festival [as in Munich beer...]
                        4. La Befana: Epiphany [as in 'sudden revelation']

It was the Epiphany connection that did it.

I'll wait to get the green flag before taking to the track with S

Comment

Circuses [as in 'Bread and...']
                          wot ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            wot ?

It's yer akshual Juvenal innit...

Awfully satirical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

Comment

Exactly, Anna - have you been watching me on my bike?!?
                              What a vivid imagination you have, if not!
                              In fact dull stuff like picking things up from dry cleaning, finding shoe laces
                              Oh course I have been watching you, I am the third wraith on the second horse chesnut tree as you do a left turn. Oh, I don't need an imagination, your Sturmey Archer gears do it for me. But shoe laces, and the waft of Sketchleys, are they as exciting as steam trains?

Comment

It's yer akshual Juvenal innit...
                                blimey don't you noe a lot

Comment

Working...
                                X