• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    I have no idea Anna! Very strange!

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Meanwhile back on topic...either I'm being too cryptic again or you lot need to pipe down!

I'm thinking of an instrument...or part of one at least. And, of course, I do throw in the extra hidden clue as I go along.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
        Meanwhile back on topic...either I'm being too cryptic again or you lot need to pipe down!

I'm thinking of an instrument...or part of one at least. And, of course, I do throw in the extra hidden clue as I go along.
        A perfectly justified call-to-arms, BtS!

Alas I am nowhere near solving your U, even with the very helpful clue...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Highlight was Norris's "You have to hand it to them , the Barlows are very good value" comment...
          I thought Norris was the star turn in the 2030 episode. As for the future...I think Tracy and Nick are made for each other.
          As for bts's question: Caliban's #1793 goes for me too. Perhaps the proverbial light-bulb will flicker into life tomorrow morning!
          Last edited by Guest; 15-02-11, 00:14.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

I think that you guys are going to have to pull out all the stops on this one, by the look of things. Some more clues, perhaps?

Skinner was an instrument maker as was Groves.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I do know that some Germans use 'Uke' where other people say 'Ukelele' and also 'Ukulele' (a word of Hawaiian origin). Or is the reference to 'stops' a suggestion that we head to the organ loft?
              Just discovered a certain Doug Skinner, presumably a noted exponent in this field.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I've now discovered Ernest Skinner, manufacturer of organs. Is there a ukelele stop on an organ?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                  I've now discovered Ernest Skinner, manufacturer of organs. Is there a ukelele stop on an organ?
                  Yippee! A ukelele/ukulele is indeed part of an organ. (Collapses, exhausted).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

O Lord... I was investigating the ukelele briefly yesterday...! But I dismissed it when I read that it was from Hawaii .... Dummy! Hawaii is one of the US This thread makes me feel really stupid sometimes.

Well winkled out OFCA....
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I'm sure Roy Cropper - and our own Anna - would have rumbled bts once they'd got onto the right track. bts is currently offline, and I now have to do a solid 90 minutes' or so work offline. I'll log on again around 10.00; I have a 'V' question ready if needed.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Well done, Ofcachap. It was actually the Unda Maris stop that I had in mind but Ukelele is good for me. There is some controversy as to where it originated as per the clue.

I did give two extra cryptic clues in my posts. I asked you all to 'pipe' down and 'pull out all the stops'. I was ready to suggest that perhaps we needed a 'manual' for this thread.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Thank you. Right-ho - here's your 'V' question.
                          How the guitarist, the singer-songwriter and the cellist (and their musical companions) got from gig to gig?

Comment

• Tapiola
                            • Jan 2011

Van?

Eddie Van Halen (and his eponymous band), Van Morrison (and Them, amongst others) and Josephine van Lier.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

That was fast work, Tapiola! The cellist whom I had in mind was Christopher van Kampen, but you have certainly done enough to proceed with 'W'.

Comment

• Tapiola
                                • Jan 2011

Thanks Ofca. I do like a bit of (early) Van Morrison. Astral Weeks is magnificent.

Please do bear with me whilst I devise a W.

Comment

Working...
                                X