This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... I shd jolly well hope so, what with you being a trombonist an' all!

Happy Ystre to all - go steady with them chocolate eggs

Merci vinsanto... But what's a trombone got to do with it?! Wind bands an' all???

Anyway it's frustrating when no one says the answer... I'll throw in a

GARDENS

and if that's right, donate the next go to whoever wants a Heaster Hegg

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      [ But what's a trombone got to do with it?! ]

What did Mr Weldon Leo Jack 'The Swinging Gate' play? - the trombone. And his full name was??
      Last edited by vinteuil; 08-04-12, 11:06.

Comment

What did Mr Weldon Leo Jack 'The Swinging Gate' play?

I am not at all sure!

Was thinking of Country (Cecil) Gardens (Percy and also Manuel's 'Nights in the Gardens...')... but I haven't had time to look up the Weldon connection... (I was pursuing the Grossmiths last night, till I remembered that was Weedon not Weldon )

So shall look forward to the connection, assuming W.L. Jack Esq was a trombone virtuoso!

Bonne journée à tous et à toutes.

Comment

Comment

Well I never!

It's been said before and will be said again, but: je me coucherai moins bête!

Good one Monsieur V, sorry I can't respond in customary fashion but... just seen the time... I MUST GO!!!

Comment

so
              not sure exactly when Sharp collected Country Gardens, but Grainger arranged for piano in 1918
              de Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain completed 1915
              Weldon Leo Jack Teagarden, 1905 - 1964

Comment

yes - so we have

a tea garden
                night gardens
                country gardens

Various of our team seem to have got this - mercia seems to be the most up-to-speed...

so I wd be very happy to pass him the Honour of an aitcH ...

But wd note in passing - we seem to be a dwindling band - where have they gone, our erstwhile stalwarts? - where is Anna? - and subcontra? - and ofca-cum-norfy? - and whatever befell the Rubberknickers - or wozzit rubberknockers? - has there been a centrifugal whizzing away? is everyone en villégiature ? Should we close and re=open after the hols??

Comment

Should we close and re=open after the hols??
                  good idea, fine by me
                  I think I've managed to offend two or three people, so a low profile from me will definitely help

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    a low profile from me will definitely help
                    - o mercia, please don't hide too! I'm worried that subcontra and norfy have also chosen to go away because clumsy people may have found a way of offending them... This whole method of electronic intercommunication is far too fragile and insensitive - we can't have all our best colleagues evaporating!

Comment

- o mercia, please don't hide too! I'm worried that subcontra and norfy have also chosen to go away because clumsy people may have found a way of offending them... This whole method of electronic intercommunication is far too fragile and insensitive - we can't have all our best colleagues evaporating!
                      Ironically, things seem to have got unpleasant about "Romance"! IT'S ONLY A GAME, GUYS! And, hitherto a very enjoyable one when everyone was joining in. Ho Hum! Perhaps a break is called for: once we realize what we're missing we'll all come back eager for more?

Best Wishes.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        good idea, fine by me
                        I think I've managed to offend two or three people, so a low profile from me will definitely help
                        And I just upset people with my clues - which are ignored for hours on end - so what difference does a break make.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          And I just upset people with my clues - which are ignored for hours on end - so what difference does a break make.
                          "IGNORED"????!!! You must be joking!!!

"AGONIZED over for hours on end", more like! It was three days before I realized that the wife and kids had left me. "Every cloud", I suppose!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

"AGONIZED over for hours on end", more like! It was three days before I realized that the wife and kids had left me. "Every cloud", I suppose!
                            OK Ferney I'll take a month off!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              OK Ferney I'll take a month off!
                              NOOOOOO: that's not what I meant! I wanted to assure you that your devilish clues weren't being ignored!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Crumbs, ferney, lucky you. Mrs Flay is on my back all the time about "your Radio 3." Guests had just gone but neighbours have turned up now! Keep associating, the rest will return! Don't let the flame burn out....
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X