X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinteuil ~

I've turned into a prune and you are churlish ~
    I can't discover any way to come up with an answer.

~sigolene

Comment

All I've got is to know a quartet which contains two brothers, but no further, in spite of being a bit of a motor racing enthusiast! (But then maybe the required quartet is a piece of music, not a group, anyway.)

Second afterthought. (Or rather second straw being clutched). Weill's Seven Deadly Sins has that family quartet building the brick wall in the background, representing father, mother and two sons. Might get us to Ute Lemper, who at least is a U.
      Last edited by Guest; 23-12-10, 10:09. Reason: Afterthought

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        All I've got is to know a quartet which contains two brothers, but no further, in spite of being a bit of a motor racing enthusiast! (But then maybe the required quartet is a piece of music, not a group, anyway.)

Second afterthought. (Or rather second straw being clutched). Weill's Seven Deadly Sins has that family quartet building the brick wall in the background, representing father, mother and two sons. Might get us to Ute Lemper, who at least is a U.
        Got me stumped too, and I've been a motor racing follower since the days of James Hunt and the Lord Hesketh.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Got me stumped too, and I've been a motor racing follower since the days of James Hunt and the Lord Hesketh.
          I was a great fan of James, someone a bit in the Mike Hawthorn mould. Sometimes I feel as if I've been a follower since Gordon Bennett.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
            I was a great fan of James, someone a bit in the Mike Hawthorn mould. Sometimes I feel as if I've been a follower since Gordon Bennett.
            1975 was the year the bug bit me, all those tall airboxes. Loved the whole Hesketh enterprise and the victory at Zandvoort, and great cars like the UOP Shadows and the Ferraris with the tall white airboxes with Italian tricolore stripes (as well as awful lumps like the late BRMs). Then there was the drama of Lauda's crash the next year and Hunt splashing to the championship

Comment

I'm now getting images of the Karamazov Quartet, a little known Russian ensemble from between the wars - a father and three sons, and presumably the Moskvich factory, and it was all in the USSR, and ... Help! It must be a dream. You see what extremes you've driven us to, vinteuil. (And I had a good question for V in readiness, too.)

Comment

rubbernecker has gone very quiet... needs to get his thinking cap on...!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  rubbernecker has gone very quiet... needs to get his thinking cap on...!
                  Likewise, I am being driven round and round in circles (appropriately enough). Have even been through a global list of motor racing circuits hoping for inspiration. String quartets, are we talking the name of an ensemble or the nickname of a work? Bro-dsky, Concord... Aagghh. We're all probably ready for another clue, Vinteuil...

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                    Aagghh. We're all probably ready for another clue, Vinteuil...
                    OK, a clue.

The city, the circuit, the quartet, and the U which has a connection with all three - are all Italian...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      OK, a clue.

The city, the circuit, the quartet, and the U which has a connection with all three - are all Italian...
                      Umbria? I can get Milan, and the Circuit of Umbria, but the quartet????

Edit: Actually, Milan's not near, geographically anyway... Ugh!
                      Last edited by Guest; 23-12-10, 14:33. Reason: Geography blindspot

Comment

You beat me to it!

I also think it is Umbria. The city is Turin not Milan (that's for fashionistas!). The Umbria Jazz Festival...maybe some quartet there ..all brothers? I have to confess i thought the circuit was Monza but that is in Lombardy.

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                          the circuit was Monza .
                          betweenthestaves was right - the circuit referred to is Monza...

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                            The city is Turin .
                            ... and betweenthestaves is also right that the city is Turin...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... and betweenthestaves is also right that the city is Turin...
                              Turin, that's what I meant! Always was a fashion victim...

I think in the light of my faux-pas, betweenthestaves was the true victor and should set the next question on the letter V

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                                Turin, that's what I meant! Always was a fashion victim...

I think in the light of my faux-pas, betweenthestaves was the true victor and should set the next question on the letter V
                                rubbernecker - hold your horses! no-one's won yet - I still need to know the quartet and the identity of the "U"....

Comment

Working...
                                X