This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Oh, thanks for that (not being an opera fan) all I got when googling Golem and Glasgow was either Pokeman or really weird stuff, some of it to do with Lord of the Rings.

So let us progress to an F, as detailed above, and I won't be around until the early hours, so please start without me!

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      So let us progress to an F
      sorry did I push you out of the way, Anna? how very ungallant
      I bet you were itching to set a question

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Oh, thanks for that (not being an opera fan) all I got when googling Golem and Glasgow was either Pokeman or really weird stuff, some of it to do with Lord of the Rings.

So let us progress to an F, as detailed above, and I won't be around until the early hours, so please start without me!
        Does it help to identifty the R J and A - are they all composers - if so 2 German and one French?

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          2 German and one French?
          Albert is German too (this collaboration is probably his main claim to fame)

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            sorry did I push you out of the way, Anna? how very ungallant
            I bet you were itching to set a question
            I would have been itching if I had got anything right, which I seem uncapable of doing at the moment! No, I am just your affable, aimiable, anna, happy to be third man in the slips (have I got the cricket analogy right?)

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

I would have been itching if I had got anything right, which I seem uncapable of doing at the moment! No, I am just your affable, aimiable, anna, happy to be third man in the slips (have I got the cricket analogy right?)
              From R J and A we get FAE.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

that is indeed my F

a galloping G from cloughie ?

Comment

• Anna

Explanation please? (I am bemused) What's the F? Incidentally, I, neither do others, tolerate wiki as posted, because, quite frankly, we cannot be arsed to do it.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

Explanation please? (I am bemused) What's the F?
                    Robert Schumann, Johannes Brahms and Albert Dietrich collaborated on so-called FAE Sonata

I really should have let you set a good question

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I, neither do others, tolerate wiki as posted, because, quite frankly, we cannot be arsed to do it.
                      *Frenchie 'language' robot activated!*

What do you mean about 'tolerating wiki as posted' Annakins?
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        Robert Schumann, Johannes Brahms and Albert Dietrich collaborated on so-called FAE Sonata

I really should have let you set a good question
                        What an excellent idea merc, Anna the G is yours!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I mean, it's no bluddy good just posting some wiki stuff and going on to the next letter without, I'm sorry (I am old fashioed) posting correct answers, chapter and verse, and stop being a smart-arse (and that's me on the naughty step along with Ammy)

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

I, neither do others, tolerate wiki as posted
                            sorry, you mean people find it difficult to click on links ?

oh very well

The F-A-E Sonata, a four-movement work for violin and piano, is a collaborative musical work by three composers: Robert Schumann, the young Johannes Brahms, and Schumann's pupil Albert Dietrich. It was composed in Düsseldorf in October 1853.

The sonata was Schumann's idea as a gift and tribute to violinist Joseph Joachim, whom the three composers had recently befriended. Joachim had adopted the Romantic German phrase "Frei aber einsam" ("free but lonely") as his personal motto. The composition's movements are all based on the musical notes F-A-E, the motto's initials, as a musical cryptogram.

Schumann assigned each movement to one of the composers. Dietrich wrote the substantial first movement in sonata form. Schumann followed with a short Romanze as the second movement. The Scherzo was by Brahms, who had already proven himself a master of this form in his E flat minor Scherzo for piano and the scherzi in his first two piano sonatas. Schumann provided the finale.

Schumann penned the following dedication on the original score: "F.A.E.: In Erwartung der Ankunft des verehrten und geliebten Freundes JOSEPH JOACHIM schrieben diese Sonate R.S., J.B., A.D." ("F.A.E.: In expectation of the arrival of their revered and beloved friend, Joseph Joachim, this sonata was written by R.S., J.B., A.D.").

The composers presented the score to Joachim on 28 October at a soirée in the Schumann household, which Bettina von Arnim and her daughter Gisela also attended. The composers challenged Joachim to determine who composed each movement. Joachim played the work that evening, with Clara Schumann at the piano. Joachim identified each movement's author with ease.

The complete work was not published during the composers' lifetimes. Schumann incorporated his two movements into his Violin Sonata No. 3. Joachim retained the original manuscript, from which he allowed only Brahms's Scherzo to be published in 1906, nearly ten years after Brahms's death. Whether Dietrich made any further use of his sonata-allegro is not known. The complete sonata was first published in 1935.

Oliver Colbentson, Violin and Erich Appel, Piano, play the first movement of the F.A.E. Sonata, Allegro, by Albert Dietrich
                            Last edited by mercia; 21-04-12, 19:29.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Comment

• amateur51

I mean, it's no bluddy good just posting some wiki stuff and going on to the next letter without, I'm sorry (I am old fashioed) posting correct answers, chapter and verse, and stop being a smart-arse (and that's me on the naughty step along with Ammy)
                                **shoves up a bit to make room**

Comment

Working...
                                X