X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Ah, you've had that recurring dream, too, I see!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Sparcs aren't flying yet, are they. Flay? I would've thought it might've generated a lot more Elektricity, if not last night, then at least this mourning.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

Sparcs aren't flying yet, are they. Flay? I would've thought it might've generated a lot more Elektricity, if not last night, then at least this mourning.
        No, I think all this rain has fused the lot of them It was simple enough. Why do we never hear the M.A. music? It's good enough, I think.
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• rubbernecker

then at least this mourning
          You shouldn't joke about such things, Ferney, it doesn't become you

How great to see Taps back I do hope he'll stick around, at least for today

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
            ...it doesn't become you
            Care to comply with Anna's Law, Ferney?
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Richard Strauss: Opera, Elektra (1st GB perf under Beecham, ROHCG 1911);
              Malcolm Arnold: Ballet, Electra (ROHCG, 1963, choreography by Robert Helpman);
              David Levy: Opera Mourning Becomes Electra - after the play by Eugene O'Neill, set just after the US Civil War; Met 1967, conducted by Zubin Mehta (and with a stellar cast, as they say!)

Never heard the Arnold or Levy works - certainly it's surprising that the Arnold isn't better known, given the interest in his work.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Richard Strauss: Opera, Elektra (1st GB perf under Beecham, ROHCG 1911);
                Malcolm Arnold: Ballet, Electra (ROHCG, 1963, choreography by Robert Helpman);
                David Levy: Opera Mourning Becomes Electra - after the play by Eugene O'Neill, set just after the US Civil War; Met 1967, conducted by Zubin Mehta (and with a stellar cast, as they say!)

Never heard the Arnold or Levy works - certainly it's surprising that the Arnold isn't better known, given the interest in his work.
                I'm slightly surprised Mikis Theodorakis of Zorba fame wasn't included. His third opera Elektra was premiered in Luxembourg in 1995. Just so you know...

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

Wow that was quick, ferney!

I heard the one and only performance (as far as I am aware) of the concert version of the Arnold at the Listen Up! (remember that ) concert in the RFH in 2004 http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/performanceon3/pip/vsmas/

I won some tickets on the BBC Listen Up! competition
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

I have to work this afternoon, so I'll cogitate an F (avoiding the obvious !) to present when I get back at about 4:30 - 5:00-ish. UNLESS, someone has a spare F that they could give to keep matters rolling along before then, please feel free to offer it!

(My ruddy machine's playing up, too: it's frozen twice and crashed in the last 90 mins. )

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

I'm slightly surprised Mikis Theodorakis of Zorba fame wasn't included. His third opera Elektra was premiered in Luxembourg in 1995. Just so you know...
                      How could I mave missed that? I won't be able to sleep tonight. The shame...

Not to worry about the break, ferney. I should be doing paperwork anyway. It sounds like you are making enough F words for yourself just now
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Tapiola
                        • Jan 2011

You shouldn't joke about such things, Ferney, it doesn't become you

How great to see Taps back I do hope he'll stick around, at least for today
                        Cheers rubbers You know too well my fly-by-night tendencies.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                          You're a gent, ammy!

Last we spoke, you asked me about the Elizabeth Wilson Shostakovich book. Well, in the interim I have given it a good old read and I am delighted to report that it is very highly recommended. Some stunningly enlightening interviews therein. For example, illuminating discussions on the late quartets and the Michelangelo songs - from some of the original performers of these works, who subsequently recorded them on disc. Fabulous.
                          Many thanks for this positive review, Taps. I'll toddle over to a well-know internet supplier to check the damage & order when resources permit

Comment

• rubbernecker

I have to work this afternoon, so I'll cogitate an F (avoiding the obvious !) to present when I get back at about 4:30 - 5:00-ish. UNLESS, someone has a spare F that they could give to keep matters rolling along before then, please feel free to offer it!
                            Personally, I am in a playful mood and not sure I can hold out that long. Anyone else want to move things along?

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Personally, I am in a playful mood and not sure I can hold out that long. Anyone else want to move things along?
                              The silence, being defeaning, I could oFFer to Fill the void!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Personally, I am in a playful mood and not sure I can hold out that long.
                                You could always play ahinton's 2 1/4 hour string quintet (see 'Quintets' thread)

That should keep you going till ferney gets back

Or Cloughie could come in with something more play-full
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X