• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    a rubbery I ??
    Oh, well, if you Insist.

Give me a mo...

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      I think it was the capital B on Black that was misleading, no doubt deliberately. I kept thinking of Poulenc's Black Birgin...

Flay, how do you feel about Haitch? I've got one germinating, but if you h-h-h-have one in full flower, do go for it, unless Mrs F is hovering ominously about the breakfast table...
      I was once upbraided in committee for using the term 'Black' when referring to people. "Why the capital letter?" I was asked - "we don't use a capital in other instances."

It was one occasion when I was in advance of l'esprit d'escalier and managed to respond "well only with God and the Queen'. As the Comittee had close connections with both institutions I got away with that one

Comment

Bartok, Medtner, Poulenc... they must have written it down? What's the I?

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Flay... ...do go for it, unless Mrs F is hovering ominously about the breakfast table...
          You don't know the half of it...

Yesterday she looked at the computer and quizzed me: "who's Anna? She seems to be on a lot when you're on your Radio 3."

My wife doesn't understand me...
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
            You don't know the half of it...

Yesterday she looked at the computer and quizzed me: "who's Anna? She seems to be on a lot when you're on your Radio 3."

Your wife is not alone, Flay

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
              What's the I?
              Improvisation

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                I was once upbraided in committee for using the term 'Black' when referring to people. "Why the capital letter?" I was asked - "we don't use a capital in other instances."

It was one occasion when I was in advance of l'esprit d'escalier and managed to respond "well only with God and the Queen'. As the Comittee had close connections with both institutions I got away with that one
                Funnily enough Ammy, I was very recently castigated for allowing the term 'coloured' through in a sympathetic report about racial prejudice, mostly towards blacks and asians. During my carpetting I was told that 'black' was the correct word to use to describe all these racial groups, and that 'coloured' was no longer acceptable. Twenty years ago, it was exactly the opposite. O tempora, o mores....

Comment

Improvisation
                  8 minutes. You need to be quicker than that, Mercs! Yes, they all 'wrote' Improvisations for piano.

Now for that jokey J of yours...

Comment

Improvisation
                    Medtner - 3 Fantastic (opus 2 ?)
                    Poulenc - Quinze pour piano
                    Bartok - 8 on Hungarian Peasant songs opus 20

but there are probably others

Comment

8 minutes.
                      slow by some standards

J connecting

Bob's psidium, Marigny Ferdie, a scholarly concerto

Comment

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

These are all-too familiar phrases, the favourites in the Rubbers household being: "You are obsessed", "Put it away", "I'm dishing up, NOW" and (having previously allayed any suspicions on this front) "So when are we going to meet Anna?"

Comment

Funnily enough Ammy, I was very recently castigated for allowing the term 'coloured' through in a sympathetic report about racial prejudice, mostly towards blacks and asians. During my carpetting I was told that 'black' was the correct word to use to describe all these racial groups, and that 'coloured' was no longer acceptable. Twenty years ago, it was exactly the opposite. O tempora, o mores....
                            I was at a conference recently on ethnic diversity, when one of the invited speakers, an American professor, took exception to the phrase BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) stating that such people should - as it was in the States and in Canada - be referred to as members of the "Global Majority". PC to the point of meaninglessness, in my opinion.

Well done mercs, btw. I was thinking "Images"...

Comment

Huh?? You are misleading yourself: it was lower case black, upper case Venus. I could have uppercased parlour, but that would have made it too easy.
                              I can't get past the wrestler called Black Venus.
                              Quite right, rubbers, apologies... it was Flay's gloss that misled me!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

These are all-too familiar phrases, the favourites in the Rubbers household being: "You are obsessed", "Put it away", "I'm dishing up, NOW" and (having previously allayed any suspicions on this front) "So when are we going to meet Anna?"
                                You think you've got problems?! My beloved gazed over my shoulder one afternoon and spake:
                                "That Ferneyhoughgeliebte character's full of himself, isn't he!"

I've put a lock on the door since.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X