• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubbernecker

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    Denmark ?
    Spain ?
    One door leads to salvation, the end of the quest and the Answer, the other to oblivion, eternal sorrow and gnashing of teeth*. You probably need to adopt your erstwhile detective guise to work out which, Mercs. I can't help you. Nor can God. You are very much alone.

* not necessarily in that order

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      You are very much alone.
      is that a bit of Kierkegaard ?

Comment

• rubbernecker

is that a bit of Kierkegaard ?
        It could well be, Mercs.

Care to give us chapter and verse in compliance with the Law laid down by Her Whose Name is...etc

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

give us chapter and verse
          wish I could

Samuel Barber's opus 30 is Prayers of Kierkegaard for soprano, tenor & alto soloists, chorus & orchestra

is Kierkegaard Danish for boatwright ?
          who's the violist?

I know not.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

I know not.
            Kierkegaard is the Danish for churchyard...

Comment

• rubbernecker

wish I could

Samuel Barber's opus 30 is Prayers of Kierkegaard for soprano, tenor & alto soloists, chorus & orchestra

who's the violist?

I know not.
              OK, you've toiled enough. Come, mop your brow on this cool towel, shaped like a dove

Both Samuel Barber's Prayers of Kierkegaard, for soloists, chorus and orchestra, and (the only marginally less well-known American composer/musicologist) Howard Boatwright's Six Prayers of Kierkegaard, for soprano and piano, both set verses by the Danish philosopher/poet/thelogian/diarist and general God-Botherer, Søren Kierkegaard. Often credited as being the father of existentialism, he has, in turn, led to Jean Paul Sartre and the French existentialists being described as "Kierkegaard without God".

The violist is Ingegerd Kierkegaard (any relation??), who, despite being a musician of some renown in her native Denmark, I appreciate is not a household name on these shores. But then again, until recently, neither was Sarah LuuuUUUnd....

Kierkegaard. All too much for a Thursday afternoon, I know.

Blessed Mercia, save us from perilous L

Comment

• Anna

Ooh I say. Rubbers told me to go with the more famous Barber (of Seville fame I wrongly assumed) so I abandoned poor old Samuel!! However, that was not the K I landed up with!! Although Howard Boatwright's wife was involved!

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

ah sorry it hadn't occured to me there would be three Kierkegaards
                  I'm sure with further toil I would have got there

if vinteuil is around and about would he like to set an L ???

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    Kierkegaard is the Danish for churchyard...
                    See? I didn't even go there!

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Ooh I say. Rubbers told me to go with the more famous Barber (of Seville fame I wrongly assumed) so I abandoned poor old Samuel!!
                      Sorry, I rather assumed you were talking surnames.

Musically, for me at least, Samuel is more significant.

Comment

• Anna

Sorry, I rather assumed you were talking surnames.
                        Yes, I was, because:
                        The K is a surname.
                        Which I was taking to mean: a K surname associated with Samuel Barber.
                        Oh don't mind me, I was probably off again on a stupid tangent!

Comment

• rubbernecker

Which I was taking to mean: a K surname associated with Samuel Barber.
                          Which would have led you straight up the path to salvation and victory.

To be honest, I thought you had already discounted any fictional hairdressers, and Samuel being a more famous bearer of the Barber surname than er... well, I think there was a Jazzman called Chris Barber who had an album called, er... Drat that Frattle Rat, istr

Comment

• Anna

Which would have led you straight up the path to salvation and victory.

To be honest, I thought you had already discounted any fictional hairdressers, and Samuel being a more famous bearer of the Barber surname than er... well, I think there was a Jazzman called Chris Barber who had an album called, er... Drat that Frattle Rat, istr
                            Oh come off it rubbers, I am not so twp as to think that a question where the answer begins with a K surname would result in an answer ............. Oh, you really do think that ............

Comment

• rubbernecker

Oh come off it rubbers, I am not so twp as to think that a question where the answer begins with a K surname would result in an answer ............. Oh, you really do think that ............
                              I don't know what I think, I don't even know what TWP means, but I'm getting the impression you are displeased with me, and, being a sensitive soul, that displeases me

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

wish I could think of an L question to put an end to the postmortem of the K question

but I can't

can anyone else ?

Comment

Working...
                                X