X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    BtS, it's odd but like a lot of people I have a great aversion to monkeys, or those of the monkey family. I am sure someone has documented this (Jung? Probably not! David Attenbrough? Probably) but it is the fact that when you look into their eyes they are so human that it is frightening that they are close to you genetically. And they seem to want to talk to you. Which is scary because I don't want to talk to them. That does sound very cruel.
    We are not so different to the other primates. John Gray's "Straw Dogs" indicts Christianity and Humanism in equal measure. It's compelling and convincing stuff to this reader.

J has me flummoxed.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
      OK.

From an area in Italy in 1847 to a fire in London in 1916 to a bassoonist turned singer in 1975. J is common to all.
      OK...think of an area of Italy and those who came from it....perhaps turning into J

or mills on fire in 1916

or the singer who debuted in Fidelio in that year...if I gave his Christian name then Google brings the answer straight out. I had hoped that seeing as how it is a well known operatic role that Google would come up with too many references too soon but, wouldn't you know it, right at the top!

And another devilish composer also composed a piece of work whose title includes J

EDIT: Actually there is another link that has just occurred to me between the devilish composer and the mills on fire.

Comment

• subcontrabass
        • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=BetweenTheStaves;32918

or the singer who debuted in Fidelio in that year...if I gave his Christian name then Google brings the answer straight out. I had hoped that seeing as how it is a well known operatic role that Google would come up with too many references too soon but, wouldn't you know it, right at the top!

[/QUOTE]

Googel throws up Siegfried Jerusalem from that information.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Damn Google! You are spot on. Care to fill in the remaining references?

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

More from Google: Verdi's I Lombardi was renamed Jerusalem for performance in Paris in 1847. Parry's Jerusalem was first performed in London in 1916.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Yes. 100%.

i Lombardi translated means those from Lombardy...Verdi signed the contract with the Paris Opera in 1847 to produce this new opera which was renamed Jerusalem.

The term "dark Satanic Mills", which entered the English language from this poem, is interpreted as referring to the early Industrial Revolution and its destruction of nature and human relationships. This view has been linked to the fate of the Albion Flour Mills, which was the first major factory in London, designed by John Rennie and Samuel Wyatt and built on land purchased by Wyatt in Southwark. This was a rotary steam-powered flour mill by Matthew Boulton and James Watt, with grinding gears by Rennie, producing 6,000 bushels of flour a week.

The factory could have driven independent traditional millers out of business, but it was destroyed, perhaps deliberately, by fire in 1791. London's independent millers celebrated with placards reading, "Success to the mills of ALBION but no Albion Mills." Opponents referred to the factory as satanic, and accused its owners of adulterating flour and using cheap imports at the expense of British producers. An illustration of the fire published at the time shows a devil squatting on the building. The mills were a short distance from Blake's home.

The fourth composer that I threw in was Penderecki who wrote "Seven Gates of Jerusalem". He also wrote "The Devils of Loudon"...which tied in rather neatly, I thought, to "satanic" mills.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                • Nov 2010

To move on:

What K is shared by:

(1) a musician who shares a surname with Wagner's one-time trumpeter;

(2) another musician who share most of his name with a better known theologian;

(3) a string instrument maker and trumpeter who shares a surname with a pair of lexicographers?

Comment

• Anna

I got confused with the last puzzle because it said 'Fire in London 1916' so, of course, I thought it was Jack London d. 1916 and his 'To Build a Fire' or it referred to the 1916 Zeppelin raids but then I see it was a fire in 1791. Confused??

As to K no idea I am afraid.

Comment

• rubbernecker

All very quiet round here...

There should be a bit of a fanfare for the fact that scb has honoured us with his presence after so long. Welcome back scb.

Is this something to do with Karl?

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Sorry Anna...a bit too much alliteration on my part. Like you I am struggling with K.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                        All very quiet round here...

There should be a bit of a fanfare for the fact that scb has honoured us with his presence after so long. Welcome back scb.

Is this something to do with Karl?
                        I have not been away. I just found many of the more cryptic clues beyond me and others outside my range of musical interest/experience.

Would you care to elaborate on Karl?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Hans Richter played the trumpet in the first performance of the Siegfried Idyll on the steps of the Wagner home on Cosima's birthday. The only time...

That leads to Karl Richter.

Karl Bohm - there is a Bohm maker of violins and trumpets.

I'm not quite there with theologians or lexicographers....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

I have been wrestling with Virgin Media's attempts to upgrade my internet to 30 Mbps... A long process involving protracted calls with a polite but ineffectual young gentleman somewhere in India

Back on now... though I doubt if my faster connection will lead to faster conundrum-cracking...

Had no clue about K. Looks as if Rubbers is half-way there anyway...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

well - Karl Barth is quite important as a theologian; scratching my head for lexicographers - Liddel and Scott weren't Karls, not sure about Funk or Wagnall...

Comment

• subcontrabass
                                • Nov 2010

Hans Richter played the trumpet in the first performance of the Siegfried Idyll on the steps of the Wagner home on Cosima's birthday. The only time...

That leads to Karl Richter.

Karl Bohm - there is a Bohm maker of violins and trumpets.

First one correct. The third did not make trumpets, only all sizes of string instruments (displayed at the International Exhibition in London in 1862). The lexicographers are better known for their earlier work collecting (and publishing) folk tales.

Comment

Working...
                                X