This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Erm ... if it's "Farandole" again, this "newbie" (if I'm one of "the two Fs" mentioned above) got it last time!

(Spent most of the evening in the Middle Ages with Robert Bartlett (a man who pronounces "known" as two syllables, almost rhyming with "Owen") and the Siilent Witness repeat.)
    I really do need a break

Yes it's Farandole

Let's move swiftly on...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Robert Bartlett (a man who pronounces "known" as two syllables, almost rhyming with "Owen") and the Siilent Witness repeat.)
      I watched part of one of his programmes once, and I noticed that - I used to work with someone who said "known" in the same way, he was from Essex - I wonder if the Prof is from the same neck of the woods...

Are you working on a G, Mr F ?

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Oh whooops..... I bet the puzzle was similar too...

Maybe the newbies can have a crack: where are Cloughie and the two Fs?
        Cloughie's been out singing, you mean after all you've said about my clues I'm still regarded as a newbie? Takes longer to be accepted on this board than it does in Cornwall!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Cloughie's been out singing, you mean after all you've said about my clues I'm still regarded as a newbie? Takes longer to be accepted on this board than it does in Cornwall!

Arrr!

I was wondering if I shouldn't set a G as penance for my amnesiac F and my temerity in using the 'newbie' word... (Been watching too much 'Scrubs'... ). But I think ferns maybe working on something tremendous...

What were you singing?

Comment

Maybe the newbies can have a crack: where are Cloughie and the two Fs?
            The other F was with the Mrs at a friends' new house for dinner. They had just moved so we had cooked and taken the meal round. So I had been assistant chef and transport chief. Being the driver and with working this morning I was sat miserably sober while they all drank past midnight. I have a busy time ahead, out tonight for son's birthday, then packing ready for a week in Barra and Harris from Friday.
            My main worry is that I might not have internet access on Saturday morning to book my Proms tickets
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Arrr!

I was wondering if I shouldn't set a G as penance for my amnesiac F and my temerity in using the 'newbie' word... (Been watching too much 'Scrubs'... ). But I think ferns maybe working on something tremendous...

What were you singing?
              An entertaining mixture ranging from Pilgrims' Chorus, Jagerchor, The Jolly Roger, Morte Christe, a couple of Handel bits, Les Mis bits, White Rose finishing off with Kalinka. Enterprisingly we sang in German, Italian, Cornish, Russian oh and English. A good MVC mix!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                The other F was with the Mrs at a friends' new house for dinner. They had just moved so we had cooked and taken the meal round. So I had been assistant chef and transport chief. Being the driver and with working this morning I was sat miserably sober while they all drank past midnight. I have a busy time ahead, out tonight for son's birthday, then packing ready for a week in Barra and Harris from Friday.
                My main worry is that I might not have internet access on Saturday morning to book my Proms tickets
                Or set the odd letter!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Or set the odd letter!
                  Well hopefully over the week I will be able to do that (if I can sneak away from Mrs Flay for long enough.... ), but my understanding is that I will need to get on as early as possible on saturday morning if I want to get the requested Prom tickets.
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Flay - Which Proms are you aiming to get tickets for? Also, I'm very envious of you going to the Outer Hebrides, somewhere I have yet to visit, from quick googles it looks very beautiful.

Comment

But I think ferns maybe working on something tremendous...
                      Oh boy!

Henry alludes (via Spenser) to Ben's Essex girl and a wild at heart trio; which G?
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Oh boy!

Henry alludes (via Spenser) to Ben's Essex girl and a wild at heart trio; which G?
                        G-G-G-Gloriana?

Elizabeth I had the operatic hots for Essex; and I discover there is a popular country beat combo named Gloriana with three members and a number called Wild at Heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv3PJ1YSHFs

And the Spenser connection: Gloriana, the "Faerie Queene" herself, she is also sometimes called Tanaquill, which was her name before she became queen.

Comment

G-G-G-Gloriana?

Elizabeth I had the operatic hots for Essex;

and I discover there is a popular country beat combo named Gloriana with three members and a number called Wild at Heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv3PJ1YSHFs
                          - before 11:15 this morning, I'd never heard of them either! AA: so good for one's trivial knowledge, I find!

And the Spenser connection: Gloriana, the "Faerie Queene" herself, she is also sometimes called Tanaquill, which was her name before she became queen.
                          (didn't know the "Tanaquill" bit )

Dick van Dyke after a bath (a clean sweep) to Caliban who retrieves the ball for the H.

Comment

Dick van Dyke after a bath (a clean sweep) to Caliban who retrieves the ball for the H.
                            Chim-chim-cheree! (What did that ever mean?!)

But what was the Henry connection, ferns?

Comment

But what was the Henry connection, ferns?
                              Purcell's The Faerie Queene

Comment

That was a very neat puzzle ferney, well constructed. I'm unable to join in the fun today though.

Comment

Working...
                                X