This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    No cloughie, and I don't think a grave in the front room would be a good idea!Caliban, I did watch Silk .... I await Learned Counsel's opinion.
    Ee lass, didst tha' not know - Northern folk only use t'front parlour for special occasions. (Sorry about the cod Northern talk, I recently discovered all 4 series of 'I Didn't Know You Cared' on youtube and am happily working my way through them. Uncle Mort - played by the irreplaceable Robin Bailey - is the epitome of downtrodden male misery!)

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Are we waiting for an amazing response?
      Very good cloughie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
        Ee lass, didst tha' not know - Northern folk only use t'front parlour for special occasions. (Sorry about the cod Northern talk, I recently discovered all 4 series of 'I Didn't Know You Cared' on youtube and am happily working my way through them. Uncle Mort - played by the irreplaceable Robin Bailey - is the epitome of downtrodden male misery!)
        Norfy, someone on another thread posted a YouTube of I didn't know you cared - it's a marvellously funny programme which I'd never heard of before.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Are we waiting for an amazing response?
          just to let you know it won't be coming from me

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            just to let you know it won't be coming from me
            Oh mercia, you are such a little tease! Why not, I'd like to get this done and dusted by around 11.30 .......

Comment

Norfy, someone on another thread posted a YouTube of I didn't know you cared - it's a marvellously funny programme which I'd never heard of before.
              Twas I what dunnit, fair maiden

Very funny but rather sad to see a fine actor such as Stephen Rea reduced to feeding lines.

Surprisingly the late Robin Bailey (Uncle Mort) is the father of Nick Bailey, late of Radio Caroline (where he read the news "B U L O V a spells BULOVA!") and currently of Classic FM (not that I listen to it, you understand )

Comment

Sorry, unadvoidably detained, no lentils were involved, and I had no idea I had been awarded the G. Unfortunately have to retire now until the morning but will leave you with an easy G to ponder overnight.

Which G is:
                Musical notation
                A first at Bayreuth
                and could be held in someone's front room?
                I think we have another outing here for matters covered by our friend rubbernecker towards the end of last month:

So we have Grace Bumbry, the first black singer at Bayreuth (Venus in Tannhauser in 1961) - the answer I got before - and Flay's solutions grace notes and Grace Williams's opera 'The Parlour'...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  I think we have another outing here for matters covered by our friend rubbernecker towards the end of last month:
                  So we have Grace Bumbry, the first black singer at Bayreuth (Venus in Tannhauser in 1961) - the answer I got before - and Flay's solutions grace notes and Grace Williams's opera 'The Parlour'...
                  OMG!! I AM MORTIFIED !!! I don't remember that at all!! But then when I'm busy I don't read everything ... or did I and subconsciously absorb it? Rubbers will give me merry hell for that. Apologies to all, I will now retire. I should have gone with my original thought of Grace Darling and William Wordsworth.

Comment

OMG!! I AM MORTIFIED !!! I don't remember that at all!! But then when I'm busy I don't read everything ... or did I and subconsciously absorb it? Rubbers will give me merry hell for that. Apologies to all, I will now retire. I should have gone with my original thought of Grace Darling and William Wordsworth.
                    Grace under pressure? I wouldn't worry about it, Anna...
                    I have a Lyrita CD of orchestral pieces by Grace Williams, and also a few devoted to Alun Hoddinott and William Mathias. I booked a walking holiday in Sarlat after hearing the latter's 'Lanterne des Morts'.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Twas I what dunnit, fair maiden

Very funny but rather sad to see a fine actor such as Stephen Rea reduced to feeding lines.Surprisingly the late Robin Bailey (Uncle Mort) is the father of Nick Bailey, late of Radio Caroline (where he read the news "B U L O V a spells BULOVA!") and currently of Classic FM (not that I listen to it, you understand )
                      While Robin Bailey will always be Uncle Mort for me, I think that Stephen Thorne is pretty good in Uncle Mort's North Country and the series that succeeded it (regularly repeated on Radio 4 Extra), and Sam Kelly makes a much more interesting and entertaining Carter than Stephen Rea ever did. (Aye ... right ... mm ...aye ... right...mm...)

Comment

It happens to us all!! I think I came up with a re-tread the other week for which rubbers and ammy gave me a light drubbing!! Impossible to remember it all, heartface! And it's really extraordinary if you were sitting it out before and have come up with the same trio as rub-a-dub-dub completely independently! You must be on a very refined set of wavelengths, the two of you!

Do not retire, Anna!! ... oh, maybe you just mean for the morning...

I'm around for about 2 hours, let me crack on with a quick H

Comment

I booked a walking holiday in Sarlat after hearing the latter's 'Lanterne des Morts'.
                          Ha! Don't mention Sarlat to me - the only time in my life I've had food poisoning

Comment

Sorry, been sidetracked.

An H to link a wedding, a serenade and an symphony...

(Off to a funeral shortly after 1... )

Comment

Might we be in 8 movements in one case?

Comment

Might we be in 8 movements in one case?
                                I haff no idea... Please to tell

Comment

Working...
                                X