X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kate, the fiancée of Owen Wingrave, comes to mind. And Madame Butterfly killed herself because she found about about Pinkerton's wife, Kate. Dunno about a dancer's downfall.
    Ah! Might the Devil be involved in the third case?

Comment

Kate Julian is engaged to Owen Wingrave, who dies in the haunted room at the Paramore residence, in Britten's TV opera.
      Madam Butterfly commits suicide on discovering that there is a Mrs (Kate) Pinkerton, in Puccini's opera.
      Kate defies her mother and dances with the devil in Dvorak's opera 'Kate and The Devil'.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        I'm afraid this is turning into one of those Fridays ....... when you can't wait for Saturday to arrive. OK, put together in a bit of a rush but I honestly don't think we've had this K before, I think it's relatively straightfoward, have clues on hand just in case.

Three K characters, three Operas containing in the plots:
        A haunted room leading to death
        A suicide because of another wife
        Dancing was her downfall
        so are we seeking a K person or 3 K persons ie how many K names.

Comment

BINGO!! Very good, totally correct Norfy, Kate it is! I did think of having Taming of the Shrew (thinking it would follow on nicely from Twelfth Night ....) So, the L is yours (although no hurry as we are very down in numbers this afternoon and I need to whizz off in a while) Edit: Whoops cloughie, look above - Norfy has solved it. I'm afraid it was rather straightforward rather than cryptic ....
          Last edited by Guest; 18-05-12, 14:21.

Comment

LOL (Look Out for an L) (some time after lunch)

Comment

Nothing too stressful an 'L' for a Friday afternoon in May.....
              Why might watching Mr Zimmermann's backing group bring to mind Barry Mason and Les Reed, and thereafter John Tavener,
              Jules Massenet, Roger Whittaker and Conrad Salinger?

Comment

Briefly back online, not long enough to tackle L but long enough to express admiration for the J solution (Anna and mercs) which baffled me, and the K which was a blinder, The Lord Norfolk very much back in form!

But I'm with you Anna on the "one of those Fridays" front... roll on Saturday... CD Review... the Corrie Omnibus... AA puzzles... a nice birthday 'do' in the evening!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  But I'm with you Anna on the "one of those Fridays" front... roll on Saturday... CD Review... the Corrie Omnibus... AA puzzles... a nice birthday 'do' in the evening!
                  This week seems to have lasted a fortnight, I feel quite exhausted. It's the Sunday Corrie Omni for me, although it's been a bit doom and gloom and humourless lately, except for Norris and where has Sylvia got to, she normally spreads some light and happiness Also the final of The Bridge to look forward to. Are you like The Queen Cali, do you have two birthdays a year .....
                  Sorry if you thought this was a reply to your puzzle Norfy, I have looked but don't want to get too engrossed in it.

Comment

Oh, I'll survive ....Right now, a cuppa plus 'Countdown' on the PVR, later 'Pointless' ditto, probably with another cuppa, then that Northern soap what's it called now? Over the weekend, there's the footie and 'The Bridge' plus the Delius bio, plus a short stint on Felixstowe Radio, followed immediately by the Mayor's Civic Service. But rest assured, I shall log in from time to time to see what the 'L' you're all up to!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                      Nothing too stressful an 'L' for a Friday afternoon in May.....
                      Why might watching Mr Zimmermann's backing group bring to mind Barry Mason and Les Reed, and thereafter John Tavener,
                      Jules Massenet, Roger Whittaker and Conrad Salinger?
                      leaving, leavin', levon.

Comment

the final of The Bridge to look forward to.
                        Ah YES!!!!! PVR a gogo... Might make it a late-night session, after:

Are you like The Queen Cali, do you have two birthdays a year .....
                        Someone else's birthday, Anna... food'n'ale in an auberge in Maida Vale.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          leaving, leavin', levon.
                          Levon Helm, member of the Band.
                          Reed-Mason wrote Roger Whittaker's Leavin' of Durham Town (even though they had to divert the Tyne in doing so)
                          Salinger - There's a Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon for New York

Comment

Fraid not. The linking 'L' is spelt the same way in all cases. A small clue - I stress 'watching', as against, say, just listening to....

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Levon Helm, member of the Band.
                              Reed-Mason wrote Roger Whittaker's Leavin' of Durham Town (even though they had to divert the Tyne in doing so)
                              Salinger - There's a Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon for New York
                              You're right about The Band, but the Mason-Reed song you're looking for was not written for/recorded by Roger W.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                                You're right about The Band, but the Mason-Reed song you're looking for was not written for/recorded by Roger W.
                                OK I'll go for my second choice - Last.

Comment

Working...
                                X