X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have looked, but unsuccessfully, and must now devote the rest of my morning to regulations governing pesticides and their proper use, storage etc. I'll pop back later and see if anybody else has found some early French terrae. (possibly accompanied by some coeli) ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      think Antoine (Brumel)
      mercia as ever was early with some truth...

I expect this is going to be a slow day as the sun is out everywhere and Anna will be gallivanting in her lacy summery garb and others too perhaps
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Anna will be gallivanting in her lacy summery garb
        let me just think about that ...............................

meanwhile, for T I have

Antoine Brumel (1416 - 1512) - Missa et ecce terrae motus - "Earthquake Mass" (in 12 parts I think)
        J-J de Mondonville (1711 - 1772 - he of the rosy cheeks and blue wig) - Regna, terrae, Cantate Deo
        Finzi - et in terra pax
        Last edited by mercia; 22-05-12, 13:02.

Comment

meanwhile, for T I have

Antoine Brumel - Missa et ecce terrae motus (I think I may have copied that down wrong)
          J-J de Mondonville (he of the rosy cheeks and blue wig) - Regna, terrae, Cantate Deo
          Finzi - et in terra pax
          Looks like U got it!

Comment

Anna will be gallivanting in her lacy summery garb and others too perhaps
            Please feel free to discuss my wardrobe at any time - at least it's not a tee-shirt! And I am not gallivanting, I'm working hard but in fact was just about to post Regna terrae!! In fact, I can only look in from time to time today so it's just as well mercia beat me to it.

Comment

meanwhile, for T I have

Antoine Brumel (1416 - 1512) - Missa et ecce terrae motus - "Earthquake Mass" (in 12 parts I think)
              J-J de Mondonville (1711 - 1772 - he of the rosy cheeks and blue wig) - Regna, terrae, Cantate Deo
              Finzi - et in terra pax
              Impeccable, my dear mercia, impeccable!

Over to... U?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Please feel free to discuss my wardrobe at any time - at least it's not a tee-shirt! And I am not gallivanting, I'm working hard but in fact was just about to post Regna terrae!!
                I hope you have found a seasonal alternative to the Sarah Lund jumper? (I was picking up fag ends from the Stormy Weather thread, which put me on a wardrobe-based train of enquiry... or rather, imagination )

Good luck with the work!

Comment

Impeccable
                  like a hen with no beak [btw why was that earthquake mass so-called ? ]

my U

debuted as Beppe, auditioned for Cosima, and lost his voice in Tristan & Isolde

all one geezer
                  Last edited by mercia; 22-05-12, 15:26.

Comment

my U

debuted as Beppe, auditioned for Cosima, and lost his voice in Tristan & Isolde

all one geezer

One Jacques Urlus (1867-1935) made his début in Amsterdam, as Beppe in Pagliacci on September 20, 1894; was invited by Siegfried Wagner to Bayreuth in 1898; and in 1912 made his début as Tristan at the Met.

No mention of Cosima or losing his voice though...

Tree? The? Barking? Wrong? Up?

Comment

I regard your beak as very sharp when it comes to winkling out solutions, Mr M!

As regards the Mass, the names usually come from the fact that they are based on the melody associated with a passage in the bible (or a popular song sometimes). So perhaps there was a psalm talking about earthquakes, and the Mass is based on a chant for those words...

Comment

One Jacques Urlus (1867-1935)
                        the very man, you may stop barking

apparently auditioned for Cosima Wagner in circa 1898 but was not invited to Bayreuth for another 13 years.
                        his Met debut in Tristan was apparently a bit of a disaster because he lost his voice in Act Two, but his Siegfried the following week "restored his reputation". "one of the best Wagner singers of all time" says wiki. and here he is in a hat

verily, it is your turn

Comment

As regards the Mass, the names usually come from the fact that they are based on the melody associated with a passage in the bible (or a popular song sometimes). So perhaps there was a psalm talking about earthquakes, and the Mass is based on a chant for those words...
                          More specifically, this Mass is built on a cantus firmus derived from the beginning of the Easter plainsong Antiphon at Lauds : "Et ecce terrae motus... "
                          Last edited by vinteuil; 22-05-12, 16:20.

Comment

the very man, you may stop barking

apparently auditioned for Cosima Wagner in circa 1898 but was not invited to Bayreuth for another 13 years.
                            his Met debut in Tristan was apparently a bit of a disaster because he lost his voice in Act Two, but his Siegfried the following week "restored his reputation". "one of the best Wagner singers of all time" says wiki. and here he is in a hat

verily, it is your turn

Good lord.

About to be tied up with French people (no, not a kinky European version of 'Twister', Flay) so there will be an unavoidable intermission. Anyone with a burning V should not hesitate to jump in

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              More specifically, this Mass is built on a cantus firmus derived from the beginning of the Easter plainsong Antiphon at Lauds : "Et ecce terrae motus... "
                              I love the way M. Vinteuil suddenly pops up to Instruct and Impart Knowledge to us ragamuffins!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                I knew I didn't even have to type the words "Now if vindemesse were here....." !!

Comment

Working...
                                X