This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born

There's an Oxford Hotel in Rome. I'm sure that's got nothing whatever to do with the question - I just like to share these little nuggets that I unearth from time to time.
    (It's got 4 stars, by the way).

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
      There's an Oxford Hotel in Rome. I'm sure that's got nothing whatever to do with the question - I just like to share these little nuggets that I unearth from time to time.
      (It's got 4 stars, by the way).
      And, Ofcachap, it's just by the Via Veneto, as featured in La Dolce Vita by Frederico Fellini! Now, we are both grasping at straws.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

As the late lamented Fred Elliott (from Britain's favourite TV soap) would have said:
        'You're not wrong there, Anna - I say, you're not wrong'.
        Nearly time for supper, thank heavens! Perhaps two episodes of Corrie tonight, plus this afternoon's Countdown (which lasts a mere 25minutes when you fast forward through the adverts and all the waffle between rounds) may cause the proverbial light-bulb to flicker into life....

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
          As the late lamented Fred Elliott (from Britain's favourite TV soap) would have said:
          'You're not wrong there, Anna - I say, you're not wrong'.
          Nearly time for supper, thank heavens! Perhaps two episodes of Corrie tonight, plus this afternoon's Countdown (which lasts a mere 25minutes when you fast forward through the adverts and all the waffle between rounds) may cause the proverbial light-bulb to flicker into life....
          Oh, two episodes of Corrie and then Countdown? Watch it Ofca, this thread has already been accused of going downmarket!!

For myself, iplayer the latest episode of Being Human then 9pm BBC4 programme about the King James Bible.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Well, there are plenty of films with Roman in the title .
            ... and this is one of the most famous of them. A quick google/wiki might then lead you to my oxford something....

Comment

• subcontrabass
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... and this is one of the most famous of them. A quick google/wiki might then lead you to my oxford something....
              Roman Holiday, partly set at the Spanish Steps near Hotel Oxford?

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                Roman Holiday, partly set at the Spanish Steps near Hotel Oxford?
                yes to Roman Holiday. (but not the Oxford Hotel... )

The American rock band 'Deep Blue Something' were inspired for the lyrics of their most famous hit single by Audrey Hepburn's performance in Roman Holiday - but they decided a more interesting title for their song would be Breakfast at Tiffany's ...

congrats to all - and over to subcontra for a stimulating S
                Last edited by vinteuil; 21-02-11, 19:36.

Comment

• Anna

Oh well done, I think Ofca and I were nearly there, but so far away with the fairies and a butcher from Coronation Street. By the way, before we get on to S talking about Cellini, does anyone know the Cellini Cup by the Marrel Freres?

Comment

• Anna

The first one hercule, beautiful I think.
                    Last edited by Guest; 21-02-11, 20:42.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

congrats to all - and over to subcontra for a stimulating S
                      I am not sure about "stimulating", but try this:

What S is musically linked to Margate, Dublin and Sri Lanka?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Anna View Post

Oh, two episodes of Corrie and then Countdown? Watch it Ofca, this thread has already been accused of going downmarket!!
                        In my defence, I did attend concerts on both Friday and Saturday evening and also fitted in a couple of hours at the V&A on Sunday morning ....

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                          I am not sure about "stimulating", but try this:

What S is musically linked to Margate, Dublin and Sri Lanka?

Well, as TS Eliot says in The Wasteland -

"On Margate sands
                          I can connect
                          Nothing with nothing."

Perhaps someone else will be more fortunate...
                          Time for an early night.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... and of course Sri Lanka - or Ceylon - is the location for Bizet's Pearl Fishers...

Comment

• Don Petter

Margate has a famous Shell Grotto, and Dublin Bay prawns come in shells, and the Pearl Fishers were looking for shells. Not sure of the musical connection with the former two, though, unless you count blowing a conch.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                                Margate has a famous Shell Grotto, and Dublin Bay prawns come in shells, and the Pearl Fishers were looking for shells. Not sure of the musical connection with the former two, though, unless you count blowing a conch.
                                Don - I was shellfishly having similar crustacean thoughts - and we remember:

"In Dublin's fair city...
                                ... singing cockles and mussels alive alive o"

and the Ceylon Pearl Fishers

... didn't know abt Margate's Shell Grotto, but I felt sure there wd at least be a whelk stall there ...

- but sadly I don't think any of this is getting us anywhere!

Comment

Working...
                                X