X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone who can conjure up the obscure Jamming with Edward without the aid of wiki must have had a seriously mis-spent youth!! Welcome back Flay!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Anyone who can conjure up the obscure Jamming with Edward without the aid of wiki must have had a seriously mis-spent youth!! Welcome back Flay!
      Mis-spent it was, but I confess I did use wiki

AL summary:

Eduardo e Cristina - an operatic 'dramma' in two acts by Rossini
      Jamming with Edward! - recorded by three members of The Rolling Stones with Nicky Hopkins and Ry Cooder at London's Olympic Studio during the Let It Bleed sessions of 1969
      Meyerbeer's Coronation March from Le Prophète presumably played at Edward VII's coronation (I cannot find confirmation of this). Mind you I'm surprised it is not used nowadays - not bad for an occasion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFKr39a5_F0

p.s The Coronation Of Edward VII was made as a film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379224/ in 1902 - it was shot before the event:
      "Their Majesties, Royalty, Clergy, and other Distinguished Personages taking part in the Coronation are impersonated by accomplished actors and actresses, every detail as to costumes, robes, regalia, coronation chairs, chair of state, Abbey arrangements, etc., being as faithfully reproduced as possible, in order to convey the scene to the millions who are not privileged to witness the actual proceedings."
      As a means of focusing on the solemnity of the occasion, the cast was chosen for their similarity to the actual figures they portrayed and not their degree of fame or talent. The man who enacted the part of the new King was, in real life, a washroom attendant.
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
        Eduardo e Cristina - an operatic 'dramma' in two acts by Rossini
        Jamming with Edward! - recorded by three members of The Rolling Stones with Nicky Hopkins and Ry Cooder at London's Olympic Studio during the Let It Bleed sessions of 1969
        Meyerbeer's Coronation March from Le Prophète presumably played at Edward VII's coronation (I cannot find confirmation of this).
        Am I alone in thinking that the above was one of the most difficult and twisted AA conundra ever?

It took a man who's been locked into a malt whisky distillery for a week to crack it.

Thank the Lord you're back Flay! Nice knotting, Cloughie!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Is it safe to come out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Am I alone in thinking that the above was one of the most difficult and twisted AA conundra ever?

It took a man who's been locked into a malt whisky distillery for a week to crack it.

Thank the Lord you're back Flay! Nice knotting, Cloughie!
            I think it was already cracked, I just washed it out with the cask strength liquor....

Does anyone remember the one-off Edward's Heave comic from 1972? http://comixjoint.com/6_site_graphic...heave-art2.gif

What have I effin let myself in for?
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

This lovely weather has inspired me to an F

Sung with drumming, but no drum, and not really singing, but another has, Broadly speaking. The third by an Indian riverbank
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                I'll own up - I've got the CD! West Cornwall beautifully warm and sunny today.

Comment

This lovely weather has inspired me to an F

Sung with drumming, but no drum, and not really singing, but another has, Broadly speaking. The third by an Indian riverbank
                  Has nobody lifted the lid on this yet?
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

My chipping away has yielded nothing! I take it "lid" is a clue?

Comment

conundra
                      :wince emoticon:

[ ... charitably, calabresse may have "been having a joke" ]

Comment

After several attempts, I don't even understand the clues, let alone know what to make of them

Comment

[COLOR="#0000FF" I take it "lid" is a clue? [/COLOR]
                          indeed
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Everyone knows that the plural of conundrum is puzzles, surely

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

I love it, vindechampagne relentlessly pursuing his personal agendum ! I find the use of 'conundrum' amusing in any event, and crying out for comedy plurals.

As a matter of interest, if buying more than one octopus, vinrosé, what would you ask the fishmonger for?

Comment

The puzzle has Broadly speaking with a capital B - is there a cricket connection? Lifted the lid - saucepans have lids - the Olympic flame is in Wales - Sospan Fach?

Comment

Working...
                                X