• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    No. Sorry.
    I was convinced, Norfs

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Nearly two hours on and I think a little "nudge" may be required.

The "chap" is a clue, and the third "element" refers to possibly his most well-known piece.

Off th watch Michael Wood's Britannia: shall be back in an hour.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Couple of lobsters perhaps? Or, some octopusses? Did anyone see that documentary last night about Billingsgate Fish Market and how, after 400 years, they've done away with licensed fish porters? I thought cloughie might have been interested, being in Cornwall by the sea, with fishermen all around him.
        Actually we had some very tasty pollock from Newlyn this evening, lightly floured and simply fried.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Actually we had some very tasty pollock from Newlyn this evening, lightly floured and simply fried.
          hmmm. I tend to agree with Sam: Wollaston's tv review in Friday's Guardian -

"Thank you, Mark Morris, fish merchant, on The Fish Market: Inside Billingsgate (BBC2). Thank you for standing up and telling it like it is, saying what no one else has the cojones to say: that pollock's bollocks.
          He says it better. A few years ago no one wanted pollock. You couldn't give it away. Then Gordon Ramsay and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall told us we had to eat pollock instead of cod, because it was more sustainable. And because these men were on the television we did what we were told. Now, as well as making more money than cod does, it's going short. Which is daft, says Mark.
          "That's a pollock," he says, holding one up. "Lovely piece of fish, lovely bright colours, that sort of thing. Tastes like shit. Then you get cod [holds up a cod]. That's a fish that's been swimming in the North Atlantic, feeding on the right products, since the day it was born. If that's a human being, that goes to the gym every day, yeah? It eats all the right foods. It probably drives a Porsche, right? [Goes back to the pollock] This – pollock – is sitting at home on the settee, in a tracksuit, watching Jeremy Kyle, eating a burger."
          I'm not sure I'd totally trust Mark on the environmental stuff. But he's dead right about pollock being flabby and rubbish and tasting like shit."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Well, Mr Wood was as good as ever, though I'm not sure why anyone thought that his comments on Bede were best served by drowning them out with a rendition of Over the Rainbow accompanied by a ruddy Marimba, but there we go.

Way past my bedtime, so I'll leave you Fawkes on the night shift to ponder the puzzle.

'Night, all!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              hmmm. I tend to agree with Sam: Wollaston's tv review in Friday's Guardian -

"Thank you, Mark Morris, fish merchant, on The Fish Market: Inside Billingsgate (BBC2). Thank you for standing up and telling it like it is, saying what no one else has the cojones to say: that pollock's bollocks.
              He says it better. A few years ago no one wanted pollock. You couldn't give it away. Then Gordon Ramsay and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall told us we had to eat pollock instead of cod, because it was more sustainable. And because these men were on the television we did what we were told. Now, as well as making more money than cod does, it's going short. Which is daft, says Mark.
              "That's a pollock," he says, holding one up. "Lovely piece of fish, lovely bright colours, that sort of thing. Tastes like shit. Then you get cod [holds up a cod]. That's a fish that's been swimming in the North Atlantic, feeding on the right products, since the day it was born. If that's a human being, that goes to the gym every day, yeah? It eats all the right foods. It probably drives a Porsche, right? [Goes back to the pollock] This – pollock – is sitting at home on the settee, in a tracksuit, watching Jeremy Kyle, eating a burger."
              I'm not sure I'd totally trust Mark on the environmental stuff. But he's dead right about pollock being flabby and rubbish and tasting like shit."
              Sounds like codswallop vs a load of pollocks - you're entitled to your opinion and beliefs - I enjoyed my fish!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Well, Mr Wood was as good as ever, though I'm not sure why anyone thought that his comments on Bede were best served by drowning them out with a rendition of Over the Rainbow accompanied by a ruddy Marimba, but there we go.

Way past my bedtime, so I'll leave you Fawkes on the night shift to ponder the puzzle.

'Night, all!
                Thanks for the clue!
                Barry Guy: Whistle and Flute / After The Rain / Anna

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                  Thanks for the clue!
                  Never heard of him!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

All these Fawkes and Pollocks... Frenchie's robot will be coughing into life on its runway... "Woop woop ACTIVATE "Taste and Decency I" ACTIVATE "Taste and Decency I"
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      All these Fawkes and Pollocks... Frenchie's robot will be coughing into life on its runway... "Woop woop ACTIVATE "Taste and Decency I" ACTIVATE "Taste and Decency I"

Well if you must Associate with these Alpha types, you're bound to land in trouble!
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

That opinion about the merits of cod v pollock by the fish merchant in Billingsgate made me laugh out loud whilst I was watching. I shall always now think pollocks when I see Jeremy Kyle in the tv schedules. I do recommend that people watch whilst it's still on iplayer, it's more of a drama-doc (with a lovely operatic soundtrack) not a straightforward dry documentary, with some lovely, almost Dickensian, characters. (BBC2 24th)
                        Well done to Norfy for (I assume) cracking the puzzle correctly, like cloughie I'd never heard of him but there's been several solutions lately that I can say the same of.
                        Last edited by Guest; 26-05-12, 09:19. Reason: not instead of that

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Barry Guy is a British composer, teacher and double-bass player with wide-ranging interests that include early and contemporary music and jazz. Should my answer prove to be correct, I have an 'H' ready (or indeed even if it isn't! )

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                            Thanks for the clue!

Hover to Hyou!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Never heard of him!
                              That's okay; he's never heard of me!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

That's okay; he's never heard of me!
                                Is he related to the bass-player in The Seekers?

Comment

Working...
                                X