X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back a few posts Flay said 'The "magic" bit above was an indirect alliterative reference to the person behind the "breakfast" clue' ??? So if Apple is not the Beatles but The Big Apple. "Where might one have breakfast - think apple" Would, possibly, point to Breakfast at Tiffanys but we don't know if we are looking for a river do we? Because if we are then Percy Grainger won't fit the clue either. I think I'm rambling ........

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Well, a bridge to Colonel Bogey might be Bridge over the River Kwai. As it's not Ricketts and the other music is Malcolm Arnold - Are we now possibly looking for Rivers?
      Obviously birds sit on boughs but why should they be sad?
      The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company Performs Gilbert & Sullivan's The Mikado
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Yes, I got that too, from the Mikado and the song fits plus the new costumes were designed by Charles S. Ricketts in 1926 and used until 1982. But Flay said Ricketts (Col. Bogey) wasn't the answer ....... and there are no composers involved by name.
        Last edited by Guest; 28-05-12, 16:37. Reason: forgot info

Comment

"Apples"??

Comment

I think it's River.

Bridge Over the R Kwai;
            Moon R (from Breakfast at Tiffany's);
            On a Tree by a R (the "little Tomtit" who "slapped at his chest as he sat on that bough, singing" ... altogether now! ... because of "blighted affection", Koko presumes).

"Apples" doesn't seem to fit!

EDIT: Oh, must read other posts more carefully! New York = The Big Apple.

"Magic"?

Comment

"Magic"?
              I don't get 'Magic' as an indirect alliteration of the person behind breakfast either but, like you, I'm convinced it must (probably) be River! No doubt Flay will materialise at some stage...

Comment

I think it's River.

Bridge Over the R Kwai;
                Moon R (from Breakfast at Tiffany's);
                On a Tree by a R (the "little Tomtit" who "slapped at his chest as he sat on that bough, singing" ... altogether now! ... because of "blighted affection", Koko presumes).

"Apples" doesn't seem to fit!

EDIT: Oh, must read other posts more carefully! New York = The Big Apple.

"Magic"?
                I've been busy with other things today, but I've got to say River flowed through my mind when I glanced at the card. The term boughing is a strange one however.

Comment

I'm rather hoping nobody gets it right, given the amount of fun we're having.
                  Loved the 'Breakfast/Rodeo' link - wit of a very high order.

Comment

Magic Mirror > William Hurlstone?

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                      Magic Mirror > William Hurlstone?
                      Oh, very clever Norfy - Snow White and the poisoned apple! But did she eat it for breakfast?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Oh, very clever Norfy - Snow White and the poisoned apple! But did she eat it for breakfast?
                        That's suite of you, if I may say so.

Comment

I have finally managed to sort my connection out sorry to break up all the fun. I did try emailing Anna with the answer but she hasn't noticed yet.

Yes it was River:

River - Malcolm Arnold wrote a march for the River Kwai Bridge film which complemented Colonel Bogey whistled by the troops.
                          G&S - titwillow song (sorry about that): on the banks of a river.....
                          Moon River as in Big Apple as in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

The "magic" was the piece "Mancini Magic" which is an arrangement of lots of his tunes. (never mind )

Fron the G&S:
                          He slapped at his chest, as he sat on that bough**
                          Singing "Willow, titwillow, titwillow"
                          And a cold perspiration bespangled his brow
                          Oh, willow, titwillow, titwillow
                          He sobbed and he sighed, and a gurgle he gave
                          Then he plunged himself into the billowy wave
                          And an echo arose from the suicide's grave
                          "Oh, willow, titwillow, titwillow"

Just how I felt today at not being to access this - a right tit

(** I thought everyone knew this song off by heart )
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                            I have finally managed to sort my connection out sorry to break up all the fun. I did try emailing Anna with the answer but she hasn't noticed yet.
                            You may have tried emailing me but I've had no notification here in my PMs ......... Another dodgy connection issue?
                            Ho, Ho!! I'd heard of Titwillow of course, never heard it, only G&S I know is Patience (which is a Virtue) Aha, a PM has just arrived (18:00)
                            Last edited by Guest; 28-05-12, 18:00.

Comment

Yes, very dodgy today. Who wants the torture of an S???
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I have committed it to memory as of now
                                Last edited by mercia; 29-05-12, 05:50.

Comment

Working...
                                X