X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Turner
    No, but why?

PS crashing now, will pick it up in the morning...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      No, but why?

PS crashing now, will pick it up in the morning...
      Just a few wiki links from Monet to Turner, and Hans Christian Anddersen and Tina Turner and some woman with a double-barreled name. Need some other clues but the morning will do!

Comment

well I have at least four composers called Ippolito, also a cardinal who "sponsored" the career of Palestrina
        Hans Christian Lumbye wrote the Copenhagen Steam Railway Galop [train connection]
        just found out that Manet had a close friendship with Chabrier [oops - getting my Monet confused with my Manet]
        EDIT - I can make Tivoli fit in a not very musical way
        Last edited by mercia; 29-05-12, 07:41.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          well I have at least four composers called Ippolito, also a cardinal who "sponsored" the career of Palestrina
          Hans Christian Lumbye wrote the Copenhagen Steam Railway Galop [train connection]
          just found out that Manet had a close friendship with Chabrier [oops - getting my Monet confused with my Manet]
          EDIT - I can make Tivoli fit in a not very musical way
          You mean put your Monet whereyour Manet was.
          I reckoned it was trains or tales and Lumbye Lumbye Lie Ay suggests trains.

Comment

Ippolito... a cardinal
            Hans Christian Lumbye

Tivoli

You have the T for Tivoli and two of the elements, mercs - well done

Can you explain the fit? There isn't a music aspect throughout, it's true.

Comment

not sure I've quite grasped all the facts here, also hampered by not being well-travelled

the Gare Saint-Lazare is on the site of the Paris Tivoli Gardens
              Hans Christian Lumbye was music director of the Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen 1843-1872
              Cardinal Ippolito d'Este, sponsor of Palestrina, commissioned the building of the Villa d'Este which is near Tivoli in Lazio [I think]

Comment

not sure I've quite grasped all the facts here, also hampered by not being well-travelled

Hans Christian Lumbye was music director of the Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen 1843-1872
                Cardinal Ippolito d'Este, sponsor of Palestrina, commissioned the building of the Villa d'Este which is near Tivoli in Lazio [I think]
                You have a perfect grasp of the facts, mercs!

In fact the way I thought of the facts was slightly more musical than that - I started with the Tivoli Symphony Orchestra and thought of the three connections, with the 3 Tivoli gardens in Copenhagen, Paris and Italy respectively.

I eluded another complication, which is that there seems to have been a London Tivoli Orchestra, which Richard Strauss conducted, in "Augmented" form, in a recording of extracts from Rosenkavalier... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Don-Juan-Op-...8278945&sr=1-1 But I haven't found a clear explanation on the internet of what it was, etc. There's no wiki page for example. If anyone finds a useful source, I'd be interested!

Comment

Great stuff, mercs! Consider me seriously impressed.

Comment

I eluded another complication, which is that there seems to have been a London Tivoli Orchestra, which Richard Strauss conducted, in "Augmented" form, in a recording of extracts from Rosenkavalier... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Don-Juan-Op-...8278945&sr=1-1 But I haven't found a clear explanation on the internet of what it was, etc. There's no wiki page for example. If anyone finds a useful source, I'd be interested!
                    This may provide an explanation, it was for a silent film of Der Rosenkavalier
                    Superb award-winning historic classical, jazz and blues recordings restored and remastered to the highest standards. CDs, HD downloads and streaming services.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      This may provide an explanation, it was for a silent film of Der Rosenkavalier
                      http://www.pristineclassical.com/Lar...al/PASC175.php
                      Ah... and that it was the orchestra of the Tivoli Theatre/Cinema... Thanks Anna

Comment

I'm afraid U will have to go unconsidered [by me]
                        and this involves 3 different spellings

V connecting

Brimstone & Treacle single, Mrs Julian and an opus 5

Comment

V connecting

Brimstone & Treacle single, Mrs Julian and an opus 5
                          hope nobody is struggling with this
                          Mrs Julian is an operatic character
                          and I'm away from my computer for 30 mins. now

Comment

I can get the first one, I think, no idea of the other two but am shortly away now, but I'm sure the lunchtime shift will be able to crack it.

Comment

hope nobody is struggling with this
                              Mrs Julian is an operatic character
                              and I'm away from my computer for 30 mins. now
                              Been away from the 'puter myself and shall be most of the day, but at the same time this is a challenging one and no problem with that! Brimstone and Treacle was a TV play by Dennis Potter with music by Sting and the Police - but no Vs involved.

Comment

no Vs involved.
                                even in Sting's B&T single ? [reached no. 16 in pop charts]

Comment

Working...
                                X