• Time
  • Show
Clear All

But .... But ...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      But .... But ...
      Dame Clara Butt Land of Hope and Glory sung by Aber Town Football supporters as 'We all follow the Aber, over land and sea and Bangor! we all follow the Aber, on to victory' But, that doesn't scan and is not a motto!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Dame Clara Butt Land of Hope and Glory sung by Aber Town Football supporters as 'We all follow the Aber, over land and sea and Bangor! we all follow the Aber, on to victory' But, that doesn't scan and is not a motto!!
        You have, if you'll pardon the expression, the wrong "but", Anna.

Comment

Off to cook a curry, but happily I'll be free to pop in intermittently to see what's being suggested.

Comment

You have, if you'll pardon the expression, the wrong "but", Anna.
            Are we into German (as in Joseph Joachim's motto Frei aber einsam)?
            Last edited by subcontrabass; 30-05-12, 16:34.

Comment

Sometimes this board is like drawing teeth, despite a lot of questions hours go by and are we any further forward?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Sometimes this board is like drawing teeth, despite a lot of questions hours go by and are we any further forward?
                Yes we are cloughie. It's Joseph Parry's Aberystwyth and ABBA. All you need now to finish it off is a motto, possibly in German, containing the word 'But' which is 'Aber' in German. Simples! Edit: Which subcontra seems to have solved, although the use of motto is not as we generally use it now I think. Double Edit: It seems F-A-F is Brahms' personal motto as in Frei aber Froh so you could say Brahms Faffed around a lot! Schumann did it with F-A-E it seems
                Last edited by Guest; 30-05-12, 17:09.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                  Are we into German (as in Joseph Joachim's motto Frei aber einsam)?
                  Well, as Anna suggested, I was thinking of Brahms Frei aber Froh (hence my "happily" earlier), but Joachim's gloomier motto gives the correct word so

Potato Salad:
                  Aber;
                  Sounds like ABBA (Benny Andersson's Quartet);
                  First part of Aberystwyth (Joseph Parry's Hymn Tune, later used by the ANC);
                  and the Brahms/Joachim Musical motto Frei Aber Froh/Einsam ("Free but Happy/Lonely")

I've lost track: Anna and subby between them seem to have got to the solution?

Comment

The kettle apologises to his good friend, Pot!

Comment

Well, as Anna suggested, I was thinking of Brahms Frei aber Froh (hence my "happily" earlier), but Joachim's gloomier motto gives the correct word so

Potato Salad:
                      Aber;
                      Sounds like ABBA (Benny Andersson's Quartet);
                      First part of Aberystwyth (Joseph Parry's Hymn Tune, later used by the ANC);
                      and the Brahms/Joachim Musical motto Frei Aber Froh/Einsam ("Free but Happy/Lonely")

I've lost track: Anna and subby between them seem to have got to the solution?
                      Well, without subby and his ABBA and German habit ....... we may not have reached a happy conclusion. But, I did know about the ANC and Clara Butt !! I have an easy, silly B, if 'tis needed but I think subby gets it

Comment

think on, young cloughie

Comment

Comment

Both a fair shade of dark grey methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              think on, young cloughie
                              an observation ammy, not a criticism, after all I'm daft enough to join in!

Comment

Popped through today's posers with much hilarity. You lot are nutters!

Is anyone going to write all this up as a book? It could be a best-seller!
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X