This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    Noooooooo, you mustn't give away the answer, Beefy. By all means pop in a hint but don't spill the beans. We come and go. I have just logged on having been side-tracked by BBC4's excellent programme on Pugin. Be patient, I'll 'ave a think
    I was told that I must not leave my laptop until it is finished. I have an empty lemonade bottle next to me, I dare not even pop to the loo.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      I was told that I must not leave my laptop until it is finished. I have an empty lemonade bottle next to me, I dare not even pop to the loo.

my actual words were "The only thing is it's boring if someone sets a question and then sods off for the day..." Sometimes there are a few hours of stillness. Go and replenish / empty whatever you have to.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I dare not even pop to the loo.
        ipads have advantages... We can be patient, don't fret.
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I have been toying with English and Edge but neither fit all three.

The other thing about silence is that it can mean you've set a very nice puzzle indeed and people are busy thinking and googling frenziedly.

Please don't give away the answer! Doesn't matter if we blunder around till the morning! There's an early shift (often our sleuth mercia formerly hercule, who is solving before any small garden bird has even thought of passing wind )

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

The other thing about silence is that it can mean you've set a very nice puzzle indeed and people are busy thinking and googling frenziedly.

Please don't give away the answer! Doesn't matter if we blunder around till the morning! There's an early shift (often our sleuth mercia formerly hercule, who is solving before any small garden bird has even thought of passing wind )
            keep toying!!

Comment

It could be the ENO??
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

A word that begins with E links all three of these.
                I like your style!

Comment

It could be the ENO??
                  Exactly!!!

Phew! Well done.

Now tell us why.

Comment

Exactly!!!

Phew! Well done.

Now tell us why.

Yes, Flay, do! Do!

Comment

Bravo Flay! :boggler::boggler:

Comment

Exactly!!!

Phew! Well done.

Now tell us why.
                        Thomas Beecham (1820–1907), a chemist, was the grandfather of the conductor Sir Thomas Beecham. Born in Oxfordshire, the son of a farm labourer, he enjoyed only a brief formal education before starting work at the age of eight, as a shepherd boy. He noticed that sheep tend to eat certain grasses and started to experiment with and study these herbs, recognising their medicinal properties. Having decided that his future was as a full-time medicine vendor, Beecham moved to Wigan, graduated from working as a market stallholder to owning a shop, and as sales of Beecham's Pills brand of laxative grew, he began to concentrate on manufacturing and national marketing.

His customers were well known for crying "Eeee No!!!" as the laxatives took their effect.

That's the first. Working on the others now
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Thomas Beecham (1820–1907), a chemist, was the grandfather of the conductor Sir Thomas Beecham. Born in Oxfordshire, the so n of a farm labourer, he enjoyed only a brief formal education before starting work at the age of eight, as a shepherd boy. He noticed that sheep tend to eat certain grasses and started to experiment with and study these herbs, recognising their medicinal properties. Having decided that his future was as a full-time medicine vendor, Beecham moved to Wigan, graduated from working as a market stallholder to owning a shop, and as sales of Beecham's Pills brand of laxative grew, he began to concentrate on manufacturing and national marketing.

His customers were well known for crying "Eeee No!!!" as the laxatives took their effect.

Prize for the longest build-up to a gag ever on AA

Comment

Thomas Beecham (1820–1907), a chemist, was the grandfather of the conductor Sir Thomas Beecham. Born in Oxfordshire, the son of a farm labourer, he enjoyed only a brief formal education before starting work at the age of eight, as a shepherd boy. He noticed that sheep tend to eat certain grasses and started to experiment with and study these herbs, recognising their medicinal properties. Having decided that his future was as a full-time medicine vendor, Beecham moved to Wigan, graduated from working as a market stallholder to owning a shop, and as sales of Beecham's Pills brand of laxative grew, he began to concentrate on manufacturing and national marketing.

Comment

That's better than my reason!!!! But it's mine that counts!

Comment

Prize for the longest build-up to a gag ever on AA

Was that quite wise, Calibs with young Beefy taking notes? - he's eager and all too easily influenced, that one

Comment

Working...
                                X