X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Africaine....?

Comment

Originally posted by hercule
      no I didn't and I'm ashamed to say I don't really know what a Commune is either. Do we have a vague equivalent in the UK?
      Unsure of this, however, the tiny commune of Y is twinned with, you better believe this Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch. the shortest with the longest!! Cute

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Did you know there is a Commune in France which is simply called Y. . . And is twinned with a Welsh village!
        Probably with Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch - just to balance out things.

Anna beat me to it.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Meyerbeer's opera is L'Africaine..

Camille Saint-Saens was an organist in Paris and composed the Caprice arabe, a rhythmically inventive fantasy that pays homage to the music of northern Africa.

Keïta Fodéba belongs to the generation of African intellectuals marked by negritude and eager to stress the value of African music and oral tradition transmitted by the griots (story and praise tellers). His literary contribution consists mainly of a collection of texts titled Poèmes africains (African Poems) (1950) that were republished fifteen years later, slightly modified, under the title Aube africaine (African Dawn) (1965).

I have to go out very shortly and so I'm afraid that B will be a little later on this evening (hopefully)

Comment

Look foward to a B in due course. What a fun thread this is, and so educational

Comment

Flash of inspiration in the shower.

Overrun by rats? Patrick and Peter got booed and as for Dick..some say the jury is still out. Where is B?

Comment

Unsure of this, however, the tiny commune of Y is twinned with, you better believe this Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch. the shortest with the longest!! Cute
                Anna is that absolutely true?!

As far as a 'commune' is concerned, it is the smallest local government subdivision in France - we don't have the same thing here. It's most commonly associated with rural villages but could a larger town or city.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                  Flash of inspiration in the shower.

Overrun by rats? Patrick and Peter got booed and as for Dick..some say the jury is still out. Where is B?
                  Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm ..... Just back from work, can't find anything to which this might relate! Just purely random, BTS, or have I missed a connection (or joke) ?

Comment

According to the official webpage of Y, it isn't twinned with any other town (see under 'Ville jumelée avec Y' here http://www.annuaire-mairie.fr/mairie-y.html ). However there is a tourist book which mentions the alleged LlanfairPG connection - but sounds like it's an urban myth....

Comment

Originally posted by hercule
                      sorry, been away devising

Yves Montand - actor
                      Jean-Yves Tea-for-two - pianist
                      Yves - Commune of the Charente-Maritime Department

(at least I hope that's the answer)
                      Yup, only I was thinking of Yves Nat, though Thibaudet would do just as well.

Sorry, I've been away for a bit - and we are onto B already.

As you were.

Comment

There is also the place called O. From which the Marquis d'O took his name.

"François d’O, marquis d’O, seigneur de Fresnes et de Maillebois, né en 1535 à Paris où il est mort le 24 octobre 1594, est un financier français et mignon du roi Henri III. Fils de Jean d’O, capitaine de la garde écossaise du roi et frère aîné de Jean d'O, sa famille tire son nom du château d'O à Mortrée."

When signing documents he preferred to drop his particule and just sign "O". The rumour that he was illiterate and signed his name with the mark "X" is - sadly - an urban myth...

Comment

There is a River E in Scotland.

Comment

Caliban, no, you've not missed anything...apart from Y and A as we're now onto B and that was my clue.

Comment

Hanna-Barbera? Anyway, got me new Pink Floyd book here, as recommended. I shall immerse myself and see you all sometime tomorrow.

EditL: Caliban, if the Welsh didn't invent urban myths they would have to invent someone called Dylan Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                                Caliban, no, you've not missed anything...apart from Y and A as we're now onto B and that was my clue.
                                Ahh what a dummy I am, it's a clue... ! What chance do I have getting the answers when I can't even recognise the questions?? Too long a day in the office...

And Anna: I have the Floyd book too (thanks Rubbernecker )... Spectacular isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X