• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
    Finished a bit early...sunshine out....pint of Owd Bull in the sun...bliss.

Thinking of doing the same with a pint of Shepherd Neame 'Spitfire'....
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Your'e making good progress! Would you care to name the Debussy* and Schumann works and corresponding cathedrals before discovering the third? (* The BBC broadcast Ken Russell's 'The Debussy Film' as part of the 'Monitor' series in 1965).

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
        Your'e making good progress! Would you care to name the Debussy* and Schumann works and corresponding cathedrals before discovering the third? (* The BBC broadcast Ken Russell's 'The Debussy Film' as part of the 'Monitor' series in 1965).
        Debussy Cathedrale Engloutie and Schumann's 3rd 'Rhenish' symphony inspired by a visit to Cologne Cathedral. But there weren't any coronation ceremonies there, other than possibly imagined by Schumann, which is why I discounted this earlier on.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
          Darn it - I just independently got as far as Claude Debussy (played on Monitor by Oliver Reed!! ) and Cathédrales englouties...

Schumann's Rhenish and the Cologne cathedral connection featured in the last round didn't they?

And I have no knowledge of north London bands and U.S. No 1s.. so time for that pint I think.....
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Norfolk Born

That'll teach me to take CD liner notes on trust! It appears that the Archbishop of Cologne may have been involved in such ceremonies, but not in Cologne Cathedral. As an act of repentance, I offer a clue to the third cathedral: it is closer to home - well, my home - than the other two.
            The group in question also recorded a song - that I could have used in my recent 'U' question, but didn't - the title of which is a London Underground station.
            Last edited by Guest; 24-02-11, 18:05.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Well, the Kinks sang about Waterloo and Victoria, but not about cathedrals...?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Hang on, an intensive search has just revealed the New Vaudeville Band with an album called Winchester Cathedral, featuring the novelty song of that name and another called Finchley Central. Maybe this is what gets 'em all going in Felixstowe...?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

We here in Suffolk are but simple folk with simple pleasures....
                  Well done, you've found all three Cathedrals.
                  'Winchester Cathedral'* was one of those UK singles that was a much bigger hit in the US than 'back home'. Another example was Hermann's Hermits' recording of 'Mrs. Brown, You've Got A Lovely Daughter'.
                  Debussy's Cathedral was, legend has it, submerged off the coast of the island of Ys.
                  Schumann's evocation of Cologne Cathedral is said to include a depiction of the sunlight shining through the windows.
                  Over to rubbernecker for 'D'.
                  (*I'm sure Anna can recite the words from memory )
                  Last edited by Guest; 24-02-11, 19:00.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Excellent clue, Ofcachap. I enjoyed that one!

Comment

• rubbernecker

In what D might you find a lady, dancing, and a central park?

Comment

• Don Petter

Dark?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                          Dark?
                          Well, don't leave us in the dark, Don. Pray, elucidate...

Comment

• Don Petter

Dancing in the D (popular pre-war song)
                            Central Park in the D (Ives)
                            D Lady (?) Shakespeare's in the Sonnets is the obvious one, but that isn't musical.

Bit stuck on 3!

Comment

• Don Petter

I've just googled Cher. (Not for the first time.)

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                                Dancing in the D (popular pre-war song)
                                Central Park in the D (Ives)
                                D Lady (?) Shakespeare's in the Sonnets is the obvious one, but that isn't musical.

Bit stuck on 3!
                                Just stick to the same formula as with the other two and it will be revealed!

Comment

Working...
                                X