• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    *my Nain was very keen on a great swift working out, as I've mentioned before - I think she was a Sennakot devotee, mind
    Thought it couldn't be long before ammy's nain made an appearance!!

Can you not be... prevailed upon, Anna? It's been ages, you c...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Northender

What a marvellous puzzle & a great swift working out* by all concerned, especially Anna

AA at its best, I'd say

*my Nain was very keen on a great swift working out, as I've mentioned before - I think she was a Sennakot devotee, mind
      Yes, it was the 'Welsh Wizard What Cracked It' (Yes, I know the Welsh Wizard was Lloyd George - or Tommy Farr - or John Charles - or was it Phil Bennett?) but I think you get my drift...

I've just been reminded by my long-suffering wife that we have to leave shortly for a Chine and Wheeze Party ('Are you playing that silly Alcoholics Anonymous game again?'), so I'll leave you to tease a 'C' out of Anna!
      Last edited by Guest; 23-06-12, 17:59.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Can you not be... prevailed upon, Anna? It's been ages, you c...
        Yes, I know it's been ages Cali (actually it wasn't that long, I did the M and then something else last round?) But, if I post something I'll think of poor Northender, drooping, with his C all ready to go and knowing his internet will be cut off at any moment... I am so tender hearted. OK, give me a mo as Ammy's Nan would say, to work it out (blimey shall ff's tuk-tuk robots be along), but it'll be so simple and solvable, I'm sure. Right, I will return, shortly.

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Yes, I know it's been ages Cali (actually it wasn't that long, I did the M and then something else last round?) But, if I post something I'll think of poor Northender, drooping, with his C all ready to go and knowing his internet will be cut off at any moment... I am so tender hearted. OK, give me a mo as Ammy's Nan would say, to work it out (blimey shall ff's tuk-tuk robots be along), but it'll be so simple and solvable, I'm sure. Right, I will return, shortly.
          Good show! And the internet is fine now - I'll just check:

Ground control to Major Tom ....Ground control to Major Tom ...Ground contr.......

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Like a dose of salts, you mean?

Look forward to your C (I must have missed a couple having been away for a week)

Originally posted by Northender View Post
            I've just been reminded by my long-suffering wife that we have to leave shortly for a Chine and Wheeze Party ('Are you playing that silly Alcoholics Anonymous game again?')
            How very understanding!!

I wonder if she and Mrs Flay know one another....

Where is Mr Flay these days?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Northender View Post
              Good show! And the internet is fine now - I'll just check:
              Ground control to Major Tom ....Ground control to Major Tom ...Ground contr.......
              Err, the rest goes something like, We know Major Tom's a junkie ........ and I don't know more!

OK, this is so feeble, it barely deserves the light of day ...... and should have been put out on Cader Idris at birth for the ravens and rooks. Feel free to pick it apart whilst I, yet again, depart to the kitchen.

What C is this?
              Ian Bostridge being creative
              Danny Boyle ringing out in Telly Tubby Land
              Sibelius

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

What C is this?
                Ian Bostridge being creative
                Danny Boyle ringing out in Telly Tubby Land
                Sibelius
                I feel somewhat involved in this question....

Comment

• Anna

I feel somewhat involved in this question....
                  Indeed you may be Duckie! I nearly posted a mega-clue 'Pork Scratchings' Honestly, I really didn't want to do the puzzle, but, you know, I have to say thanks to my public in accepting the Brian award, and to my Mum and Dad, also my Agent, for all being so understanding and supporting me

Come on Man - spit it out!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Indeed you may be Duckie! I nearly posted a mega-clue 'Pork Scratchings' Honestly, I really didn't want to do the puzzle, but, you know, I have to say thanks to my public in accepting the Brian award, and to my Mum and Dad, also my Agent, for all being so understanding and supporting me

Come on Man - spit it out!!

Okay...

... well it's C for... ... Caliban

- Ian B created the role in Tom Adès's "Tempest"

- Caliban's quote appearing hereinunder is on the bell at Boyle's rural Olympic opening Event (just saw the bloody bell's being made in Holland!! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...n-Holland.html )

- Sibelius wrote incidental music to The Tempest, inc. No. 13, Caliban's Song

Comment

• Anna

Okay...
                      ... well it's C for... ... Caliban
                      - Ian B created the role in Tom Adès's "Tempest"
                      - Caliban's quote appearing hereinunder is on the bell at Boyle's rural Olympic opening Event (just saw the bloody bell's being made in Holland!! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...n-Holland.html )
                      - Sibelius wrote incidental music to The Tempest, inc. No. 13, Caliban's Song
                      I don't understand, it said on launch of Olympic opening ceremony the Bell was cast at the Whitechapel Foundry, now you say it's Dutch?? I need to look into this!

But yes, the answer was Caliban Because we all love you (and do not get ideas above your station) So, Thank the Lord, I can now return to the kitchen whilst Cali sets a D. And I have embarassed him, I know
                      Last edited by Guest; 23-06-12, 19:16.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        wot was the get to work in 6 seconds bit please ?
                        Said liver salts used to be advertized as "gets to work in six seconds", which is informative if more prosaic than "Plink! Plink! Fizz!"

EDIT: as Norths pointed out a couple of answers later! I really should check these things first!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna
                          What is it with blokes, fart jokes and bowel movements? Cali started a thread 'what are the books in your lavatory' Only blokes responded. It makes you wonder what they do in there with back numbers of The Tatler.
                          The isle is full of noises... Sounds, and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not
                          What a strange idea, that a fascination with bowel movements etc is an exclusively male preserve.

It was my very female Nain who generated my interest therein, with her charcoal biscuits, sennakots, little rhymes about belching and farting.

Comment

• Anna

What a strange idea, that a fascination with bowel movements etc is an exclusively male preserve.
                            It was my very female Nain who generated my interest therein, with her charcoal biscuits, sennakots, little rhymes about belching and farting.
                            But, ahem, you have an interest in belching and fartrng? Should we know more? I think not!

What is the D puzzle by Cali? I haven't checked, is tonight football free zone, are we free to frolic?

Probably not. I usually land up in bed by ten thirty. If not, I go home! Oh, come on! Otherwise this shrinking violet has to go!! (Only joking of course) I'll give him 20 mins
                            Last edited by Guest; 23-06-12, 19:57. Reason: typros

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

But, ahem, you have an interest in belching and fartrng? Should we know more? I think not!

What is the D puzzle by Cali? I haven't checked, is tonight football free zone, are we free to frolic?
                              I am working on a D! Just had a lengthy phone call, which has D-layed me.

The exchange on the subject of movements (non-symphonic... well, in most cases anyway - save in the case of a charcoal biscuit overdose ) has made me laugh!

Glad my thread about loo-reading has had a shout-out (preserved in quotes, Anna, you've deleted the post itself I think...) - I thought it was fun and it led me to Diary of a Country Parson, a joyous discovery thanks to vinblanc

Football-free?! Noooo ducks - Spain v France, a heavyweight affair!

Back soon - D-pend upon it!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

I don't understand, it said on launch of Olympic opening ceremony the Bell was cast at the Whitechapel Foundry, now you say it's Dutch?? I need to look into this!
                                Have a look at that link! The Whitechapel gang got the contract but don't have the resources to cast that size bell, so sub-contracted it to a Dutch firm!! You couldn't make it up!! The writers of 'Yes, Minister!' couldn't make it up!! And there's a perfectly good bell foundry in Leicestershire which was passed over, it seems

But yes, the answer was Caliban Because we all love you (and do not get ideas above your station) So, Thank the Lord, I can now return to the kitchen whilst Cali sets a D. And I have embarassed him, I know
                                No you haven't

I usually land up in bed by ten thirty. If not, I go home!
                                Now you have!!!

PS Not really It's like that old one: Be good! But if you can't be good, take pictures!
                                Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 23-06-12, 20:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X