This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    To be fair, you mentioned HP this time around! But remarkable stuff Anna ... As I said, an instinctive high-achiever! I think your synapses are linked up differently from the rest of us, enabling you to connect your extensive mental library of facts quite brilliantly!
    Blimey, is Cali saying I am barking with me synapses on the wrong wiring circuit, or is this a marriage proposal? If the latter. I'll think about it .......... briefly.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      it can't be my turn for a question. I done E.
      It happens sometimes... I did D and F...

But perhaps Monsieur Vindechampagne could set a G, concerning matters whereof he taketh due cognisance? It's been far too long since we had a vinous puzzle...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        briefly
        Wounding! Very wounding!!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          By the way, who is this "Harry Potter" people are talking about? I know (from off the tele... ) that there's a barrister/ ex-chaplain doing a series on the Law with this name...
          You do make me laugh Vints, strolling from Shepherds Bush to Notting Hill with your silver topped cane and inhaling a nosegay against the miasmas of the wretched poor whilst still dwelling in the 18th century. So, accept Cali's invitation and set a question ........
          Last edited by Guest; 24-06-12, 15:51. Reason: tupo

Comment

You do make me laugh Vints, strolling from Shepherds Bush to Notting Hill with your silver topped cane and inhaling a nosegay against the miasmas of the wretched poor whilst still dwelling in the 18th century.

Yes come on vinmousseux!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Yes come on vinmousseux!
              Ooh, I do so love a good Fop!!

Comment

Ooh, I do so love a good Fop!!
                ... such Insistence!

o well ...

Why might Mr Carmichael lead us to an underworld river and a song to a tree - and what G connects them?

Comment

... such Insistence!

o well ...

Why might Mr Carmichael lead us to an underworld river and a song to a tree - and what G connects them?

Ah! Excellent

First thought - Ian Carmichaei... playing 'Lord Peter Wimsey' for example... But is Howard Hoagland ("Hoagy") Carmichael more like it...?

I am shortly going to have to betake myself to the South Bank for some Venezuelan percussion and brass action

Comment

Well...plane trees (a plane tree being the 'addressee' of 'Ombra mai fu') were to be found growing along the banks of the Lethe.

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                      Well...plane trees (a plane tree being the 'addressee' of 'Ombra mai fu') were to be found growing along the banks of the Lethe.
                      ... yes to Ombra mai fu - but another underworld river is called for here.

Caliban's second thought was a good one...

Comment

... yes to Ombra mai fu - but another underworld river is called for here.
                        Caliban's second thought was a good one...
                        So, are we looking for a trio of George names? (Sorry, been distracted by England match ... ZZzzzzzzzzzz) Best team won. So is Hoagy Carmichael 'Georgia' (Initially I'd gone down the classical route as well, as Northender did and only came up with Garcia - don't ask!)

Comment

And the State of Georgia has TWO rivers called "Styx"

Comment

Hello Anna! We listened to a very funny play on Radio 3, then tuned into the BBC News Channel for - well, news - and got 15 minutes of waffle from Cairo followed by the penalty shoot-out, which ended predictably. Never mind, Wimbledon starts tomorrow! As for vinteuil's poser ....well, as Scarlett O'Hara so astutely observed, 'Tomorrow is another day'.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              And the State of Georgia has TWO rivers called "Styx"
                              Blimey, Dumbledore's in a good mood - never seen him use a smilie before! Must be all that previous talk about Mr. Potter.

Have we cracked it? Oh, and another Carmichael was 'Lazy River' does that tie in with the Shades of Hades? (I can't remember the question!)

Comment

Have we cracked it?
                                I cannot find a connection between "Ombra mai fu" and Georgia

Comment

Working...
                                X