X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicolas Nabokov composed a ballet-oratorio Ode, for Serge Diaghilev's Ballet Russes I think

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Nicolas Nabokov composed a ballet-oratorio Ode, for Serge Diaghilev's Ballet Russes I think
      Correct. Now what about Stravinsky?

Comment

I'll leave it for Northender to finish off, as a young girl I was obsessed with Diaghilev and the Ballet Russes. I suppose everyone wants to be a ballerina at that age!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          I suppose everyone wants to be a ballerina at that age!
          Not I, sweet Anna I wanted to be a Grand Prix driver
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

NN wrote a book, published in 1964, on Stravinsky.

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
              NN wrote a book, published in 1964, on Stravinsky.

And, for the record, the relationship with Vladimir Nabokov?

Comment

First cousin.

Comment

Assuming that the requirements of 'Anna's Law' have been met, I offer the following, the answer to which begins with 'O': Written in the second half of the 19th century, this was the choice of a wartime leader while conferring on a royal vessel. It also appeared in a film set in a later conflict, and in America's longest-running animated program(me).

Comment

First cousin.
                    To summarize:

Nicolas Nabokov composed a ballet-oratorio Ode, for Serge Diaghilev's Ballet Russes; wrote a book, published in 1964, on Stravinsky; and was first cousin to Vladimir Nabokov, author of Lolita.

Comment

Assuming that the requirements of 'Anna's Law' have been met, I offer the following, the answer to which begins with 'O': Written in the second half of the 19th century, this was the choice of a wartime leader while conferring on a royal vessel. It also appeared in a film set in a later conflict, and in America's longest-running animated program(me).
                      Perhaps a little extra information may help....the war leader who chose this work outlived his interlocutor (no translator was necessary) by 20 years.

Comment

Perhaps a little extra information may help....the war leader who chose this work outlived his interlocutor (no translator was necessary) by 20 years.
                        Your clue has made no difference to the fact that I have absolutely no idea about the solution to your puzzle!

Well, one idea - The Simpsons is presumably the US tv show...
                        Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 26-06-12, 14:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Well, one idea - The Simpsons is presumably the US tv show...
                          According to this learned treatise, the only O relevant to classical music on The Simpsons is Orff. http://super-conductor.blogspot.co.u...-simpsons.html

Any good to you?

Comment

The Simpsons is one of many films and TV programmes in which this work has popped up. The warleader who chose the piece died in 1965 - 24 years after the important meeting at which he chose it.

Comment

The warleader who chose the piece died in 1965 - 24 years after the important meeting at which he chose it.
                              So, Churchill (and Roosevelt)?
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                So, Churchill (and Roosevelt)?
                                Quite.

"On Sunday morning, August 10 [1941], Mr. Roosevelt came aboard H.M.S. Prince of Wales and... attended Divine Service on the quarterdeck.

... I chose the hymns myself – “For Those in Peril on the Sea” and “Onward, Christian Soldiers.” We ended with “O God, Our Help in Ages Past”

Winston Churchill – The Second World War, Volume 3: The Grand Alliance

One of the O words above is presumably the one we're after. My money's on Onward, Christian Soldiers.

Comment

Working...
                                X