This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Simpsons"

Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes? (1992)

Music includes:
    •"Onward, Christian Soldiers"(uncredited)
    Music by Arthur Sullivan
    Lyrics by Sabine Baring-Gould
    Performed by 'Nancy Cartwright (I)', Pamela Hayden, Maggie Roswell, and Harry Shearer

Third element of the puzzle: Onward, Christian Soldiers was also used in M*A*S*H - the later conflict (Vietnam)?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Well done, Sir!
      Robert Altman's film was ostensibly about the Korean War but may well have (also) been about events in Vietnam. I think you've provided all the necessary information - the 'royal vessel' was of course HMS Prince of Wales, where Churchill and Roosevelt met in 1941 to discuss the Atlantic Treaty. Your turn for a 'P', I think?

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
        Korean War

Of course!

Comment

A P s'il vous Plaît to connect an indecisive lecher with a passionate feline and a couple of cocks
          Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 26-06-12, 16:37. Reason: Accuracy & alliterative euphony

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            A P s'il vous Plaît to connect an indecisive lecher with a passionate feline and a couple of cocks
            Might well you blush, you'll have frenchie's robot tuk-tuks on full alert and getting out their SatNavs to home in!! Although your alliterative euphony is rather cute.

Does the 'plait' infer a French connection? So far I can only find Prok's Peter and the Wolf with mischievious cat but, he only had one Golden Cockerel so that's no good is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              Might well you blush, you'll have frenchie's robot tuk-tuks on full alert and getting out their SatNavs to home in!!
              Does the 'plait' infer a French connection? So far I can only find Prok's Peter and the Wolf with mischievious cat but, he only had one Golden Cockerel so that's no good is it?

You know I often like the odd French connection....

You are quite correct: nothing to do with Prokofiev.

Comment

Last edited by Caliban; Today at 16:37. Reason: Accuracy & alliterative euphony
                ... if alliterative euphony were the desideratum - why not "passionate pussy"??

<tuk tuk tuk>

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... if alliterative euphony were the desideratum - why not "passionate pussy"??

<tuk tuk tuk>
                  Because that would be misleadingly diminutive....

Like your style though, vinchaud

Comment

Because that would be misleadingly diminutive....

... aha! - a cluette!!

Comment

... aha! - a cluette!!

In fact (and you might be one to upbraid me) I hesitated between feline and felid in the puzzle. The various authorities I looked are slightly contradictory. However that in itself may be a further clue.

Comment

... aha! - a cluette!!
                        You two Classical Scholars sometimes amaze, sometimes dazzle and sometimes think you are talking in code and live in a parallel universe.
                        My only other thought was Les Animaux modèles but I cannot find a passionate puss in that, only a couple of cocks.

Comment

felid .
                          ... so it's not only ocelots you feast with in Bayswater

You might want to learn a little more about the sounds felids make (courtesy of wiki) -

"All felids share a broadly similar set of vocalisations, although there is some variation between species. In particular, the pitch of calls varies, with larger species producing deeper sounds; overall, the frequency of felid calls ranges between 50–10,000 hertz.

All felids are able to spit, hiss, growl, snarl, and mew. The first four of these sounds are all used in an aggressive context. The spitting sound is a sudden burst, typically used when making threats, especially towards other species (such as humans). The hiss is a prolonged, atonal sound used in close range to other members of the species, when the animal is uncertain whether to attack or retreat. Growling is used to indicate a willingness to attack, while the higher pitched snarl is used when adopting a defensive posture.

The mewing sound may be used either as a close-contact call, typically between a mother and kittens, or as a louder, longer distance call, primarily during the mating season. There is some variation in the acoustic properties of the mew between different felid species; extreme examples include the whistling sound made by cougars and the mew-grunt of lions and tigers.

Most felids seem to be able to purr, vibrating the muscles in their larynx to produce a distinctive buzzing sound. In the wild, purring is used while a mother is caring for kittens. Precisely which species of felid are able to purr is a matter of debate, but the sound has been recorded in most of the smaller species, as well as the cheetah and cougar, and may also be found in the big cats.

Other common felid vocalisations include the gurgle, wah-wah, prusten, and roar. The first two sounds are found only among the Felinae (small cats). Gurgling is a quiet sound used during meetings between friendly individuals, as well as during courtship and when nursing kittens. The wah-wah is a short, deep-sounding call used in close contact, and is not found in all species (it is, for example, absent in the domestic cat).

In contrast, prusten and roaring are found only in big cats. Prusten is a short, soft, snorting sound reported in tigers, jaguars, snow leopards, and clouded leopards; it is used during contact between friendly individuals. The roar is an especially loud call with a distinctive pattern that depends on the species. Tigers and jaguars have a very snarly roar, while the roar of leopards and lions is much more throaty. Only lions, leopards, tigers and jaguars are truly able to roar, although the loudest mews of snow leopards have a similar, if less structured, sound."
                          Last edited by vinteuil; 26-06-12, 18:10.

Comment

You two Classical Scholars sometimes amaze, sometimes dazzle and sometimes think you are talking in code and live in a parallel universe.
                            My only other thought was Les Animaux modèles but I cannot find a passionate puss in that, only a couple of cocks.

But my dear Anna, look more closely! No pussy but....

Comment

You two Classical Scholars
                              I imagine vinrouge might think that my inclusion in that phrase is defamatory of him... with good reason!

Comment

The spitting sound is a sudden burst, typically used when making threats, especially towards other species (such as humans). The hiss is a prolonged, atonal sound used in close range to other members of the species, when the animal is uncertain whether to attack or retreat. Growling is used to indicate a willingness to attack, while the higher pitched snarl is used when adopting a defensive posture.
                                If one could hear the 'Tax Avoidance' and other socio-political threads on this Forum, I suspect that they would sound very much like that....

Comment

Working...
                                X