X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubbernecker

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
    In theory, a performance of a work written in the early 1930s could have been attended by the composer, whose initials would have been exactly the same as those of the baritone soloist and the conductor.
    Sorry, which performance are you referring to, the first?

EDIT: Or does 'in theory' mean this is a hypothetical performance, or that the composer didn't attend?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-03-11, 14:34.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by hercule
      In so far as there are rules to this game, can the "3 elements to the question" rule be flexible? (he asked having just posted one with only 1 element)
      I think we should maintain the rule that there should be three pointers or three elements. It was an enjoyable puzzle, nonetheless, Hercule

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

In theory, a performance of a work written in the early 1930s could have been attended by the composer, whose initials would have been exactly the same as those of the baritone soloist and the conductor. Who are the three people concerned? (The work in question does not begin with 'W').
        That strikes me as almost the perfect AA question - a real mind expander, elegant and intriguing, not directly googlable, and the sacred three elements snugly integrated.

Now, I wonder what the bloody answer is....

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Damn! Suddenly thought of a Royal Flush of Ws - William Walton, Walter Widdop and Walter Weller ... but Widdop was a tenor and he died too early ...

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Damn! Suddenly thought of a Royal Flush of Ws - William Walton, Walter Widdop and Walter Weller ... but Widdop was a tenor and he died too early ...
            I had the same thought about Belshazzar, but with Willard White... in theory

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Congratulations to Caliban and rubbernecker for identifying, respectively, the composer and conductor, and the baritone. I got the idea for the question from my BBC Music Magazine CD of the work, which features Willard White. I'm not sure who gets to go next - Caliban for getting 2 of the 3? (The unenviable choice of letter - X, Y or Z -or A - to be left, I suggest, to individual discretion....)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Is it literally just the W that is in common, or must there be three identical names e.g. 3 Williams or 3 Walters.... ? I'm assuming not and that e.g. your answer could have worked even through there are 6 different names involved.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Congratulations to Caliban and rubbernecker for identifying, respectively, the composer and conductor, and the baritone. I got the idea for the question from my BBC Music Magazine CD of the work, which features Willard White. I'm not sure who gets to go next - Caliban for getting 2 of the 3?
                  Bloody hell... Cross-posted, egad.

No - rubbers clearly got the full house of Walton, Weller and White.

Knock yourself out, Monsieur Le Cou de Caoutchouc. I must do some work!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Is it literally just the W that is in common, or must there be three identical names e.g. 3 Williams or 3 Walters.... ? I'm assuming not and that e.g. your answer could have worked even through there are 6 different names involved.
                    Perhaps I should set up a new website at: www.wwwwww.cantatacoincidences.org.uk

(By the way, rubbernecker works well in German, too: Gummihals )

Comment

• rubbernecker

[COLOR="blue"]

No - rubbers clearly got the full house of Walton, Weller and White.
                      Actually I only had Walton and White, but was struggling to find the Weller. So the next letter is yours, Caliban, although I am happy to provide as you are evidently busier than me... yawn.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by ofcachap View Post
                        (by the way, rubbernecker works well in german, too: Gummihals )
                        I love it! I want to change it right now!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Actually, 'Gummihals' literally means 'rubber neck'. I've just found the German term for 'rubberneck' (i.e. a person rather than a part of one's anatomy), and it turns out to be ....Gaffer... Please feel free to use either or both.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                            Actually I only had Walton and White, but was struggling to find the Weller. So the next letter is yours, Caliban, although I am happy to provide as you are evidently busier than me... yawn.
                            We each got 2 Ws then - and yes I cede the next letter to you, to amuse you during the long reaches of the mid afternoon....

Go for it, Gummi

Comment

• rubbernecker

All right, me ol' gaffer:

What Z appears in:
                              - an opera, but doesn't sing;
                              - a children's novel based on the same;
                              - the class of the Prince of Wales?

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Would the opera and book be Where the Wild Things Are?

Comment

Working...
                                X