This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    It wasn't on AA, it was on childrens' stories revisited. I picked Peter Duck up in a charity shop and re-acquainted myself. I liked Swallows & Amazons, although the girls were generally a bit wet.
    I could never get into S&A for some reason. I was a Famous Five child
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      I could never get into S&A for some reason. I was a Famous Five child
      And did you identify yourself with Julian or Dick? I loved George and Timmy. At one stage I begged to have my hair cut short and henceforth be known as George to the family.

Comment

And did you identify yourself with Julian or Dick? I loved George and Timmy. At one stage I begged to have my hair cut short and henceforth be known as George to the family.

I was definitely a Julian!

Woof woof!

Comment

I was definitely a Julian!
          And, was your imaginary friend called Sandy?

Edit: From a website analysis of characters: Julian is the eldest of the five characters, and older brother of Dick and Anne. Naturally he assumes the role of the group leader. He has a resourceful and dependable nature, helping the group through many sticky moments. He is bold, but sensible, knowledgeable and thoughtful. He is held in high regard by his Aunt Fanny.
          I guess that's you to a T!!
          Last edited by Guest; 24-07-12, 15:20.

Comment

I liked the Comic Strip adaptation !

Does anyone remember reading The Secret of Spiggyholes?

Comment

And, was your imaginary friend called Sandy?

Edit: From a website analysis of characters: Julian is the eldest of the five characters, and older brother of Dick and Anne. Naturally he assumes the role of the group leader. He has a resourceful and dependable nature, helping the group through many sticky moments. He is bold, but sensible, knowledgeable and thoughtful. He is held in high regard by his Aunt Fanny.
              I guess that's you to a T!!
              My Aunt Fanny can't say enough about me

Sandy and I no longer speak

Comment

Sandy and I no longer speak
                Yes, I had heard!! Honestly, ain't you got no clientele to attend to, here we are, diverting the thread and now, Resurrection Man pops up with an obscure Enid Blyton that I've never heard of! And cloughie is waiting in the wings with a quizzical Q. Or, a revelationary R.

Comment

Honestly, ain't you got no clientele to attend to, here we are, diverting the thread
                  I'm waiting for all sorts of people to call me back, and profiting from the interlude for some humorous intercourse in the Forum

Never heard of http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Spigg...3141024&sr=1-1

Difficult to take the plots innocently now, isn't it:

Mike, Peggy, Laura and Jack are convinced there’s something odd going on in the deserted monastery next door. And it’s not just the two strange men ...the children see a boy at an upstairs window, signalling. ...why is he being held a prisoner by the strange men?

Answers on a postcard please to Esther Rantzen c/o Childline....

Comment

I liked Swallows & Amazons, although the girls were generally a bit wet.
                    The Swallows girls - Susan and Titty Walker - were a bit wet, yes - but surely not the Amazons - Nancy and Peggy Blackett? They were feisty pirate girls : I had quite a crush on them when I was eight...

I note that for the subsequent film etc adaptations they chose to re-name Titty Walker. I wonder why...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      The Swallows girls - Susan and Titty Walker - were a bit wet, yes - but surely not the Amazons - Nancy and Peggy Blackett? They were feisty pirate girls : I had quite a crush on them when I was eight
                      On Crab Island Nancy wonders why it is my mate's no blessed good with thunder, and when the wind comes Peggy flings herself full length on the sand and hides her head in her arms as it was more than she could bear Peggy is a complete wuss and would rather do the washing up and kow-tow to men. Nancy's far more manly as are George and Timmy. I disliked intensely the boys, I liked the feisty girls as well.

Comment

[I]On Crab Island Nancy wonders why it is my mate's no blessed good
                        Did they rename Crab Island too?

Where is Cloughie?!

Comment

Where is Cloughie?!
                          I bet the answer to the next puzzle is something to do with Enid Blyton!! So, I predict, it's Roger! But not, Roger the cabinboy! An urban myth. biggrin: Now, I am offline.
                          Last episode of twenty-twelve tonight. Has anyone noticed, Jeremy Hunt's eyes? Decidedly weird.

But look vints, my love:
                          Titty shares most of her adventures with Roger, who usually willingly adopts her point of view (typical bloke); in SW it is mentioned that he acts Titty-fashion (oh, he acts in titty fashion) in order to impress her. Together they seek Captain Flint's buried treasure (SA28), discover Swallowdale (SD4), explore the Northwest passage (SW30) and wander across the moor in the fog (SD28), although Titty is always the one to liven things up, and is naturally in charge. Titty finds only one annoying thing about her younger brother his appetite: That was the worst of Roger. He might get hungry at any minute (SD4).
                          Last edited by Guest; 24-07-12, 16:56. Reason: speling

Comment

Now, I am offline
                            ... she said, as a prelude to a multi-faceted cultural disquisition!!

I love that your "off" switch doesn't work, Anna!

Comment

I love that your "off" switch doesn't work, Anna!
                              But, you, know, my on-switch works, big time! All the time

Comment

But, you, know, my on-switch works, big time! All the time
                                It is, beyond question, part of your charm!

Comment

Working...
                                X