• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
    It's sometimes comforting when you find you wouldn't have known any of the references in the answer.

At least it saves that painful self-kicking.
    No - I'm kicking myself.... Should have known about that Waugh subtitle, and I was a George addict...

But a very good and very elegant question.

(Although were there not only 2 elements - Brideshead and Tinker Tailor - as opposed to the three for which rubbers himself argued? *cue rubbers defence plea* With that provocative little aside I shall go and make a cappuccino before resumng CR Review once the Liszt is out of the way...)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      resumng CR Review once the Liszt is out of the way...)
      Agreed, but Stephen Plaistow

Comment

• Don Petter

No - I'm kicking myself.... Should have known about that Waugh subtitle, and I was a George addict...

It was a good deflection towards Debussy's Danses Sacrée et Profane, I thought.

Comment

• Don Petter

(Although were there not only 2 elements - Brideshead and Tinker Tailor - as opposed to the three for which rubbers himself argued?)
          [really sucking the meat out of your post, Caliban ...]

You're right. I think we should call for a slow motion review by the fourth official. Maybe we could get the question declared null and void. (Oops! That wouldn't go down well with you though? )

Comment

• rubbernecker

Still trying to recover from the horrors of the Liszt bal... What was that all about?

I disagree that my question broke the rule of three: I concede that there were only two TV programmes referenced, Brideshead and Tinker Tailor, but there were three pointers, the Sacred and Profane, the Circus/Smiley and the No.3 for the Nunc Dimittis which is a stand-alone piece in Burgon's output, apart from the two TV scores.

I rest my briefcase...

Comment

• Don Petter

Quite beautiful in slow motion - I can see all three quite clearly now.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

You get the benefit of the doubt, rubbers. The red card has gone back in the ref's pocket...

BAL was a mess, huh? I've recorded it onto the SD card in the old Pure Evoke, I'll listen at some point this weekend because like Don P, I've got a great deal of time for Stephen Plaistow

Comment

• rubbernecker

BAL was a mess, huh? I've recorded it onto the SD card in the old Pure Evoke, I'll listen at some point this weekend because like Don P, I've got a great deal of time for Stephen Plaistow
                  Not a mess, Plaistow tried to put up an interesting case for boring music, but couldn't help sounding bored himself. I think the boredom's infectious... I doubt very much this BAL will be your road to Damascus as far as Liszt is concerned, Caliban.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                    Not a mess, Plaistow tried to put up an interesting case for boring music, but couldn't help sounding bored himself. I think the boredom's infectious... I doubt very much this BAL will be your road to Damascus as far as Liszt is concerned, Caliban.
                    Understood. I'm expecting no revelations.

Just name-checked you on your vulgar music thread, and indeed as a result am currently listening again to your v kind gift of the Jarvi "Mass". One of the great things about that performance is that the Celebrant is a proper singer, not a Yank giving it the horrible crossover American-accent sub-Sondheim schmaltz.

Love the way they do the First Introit (Rondo) - yes, derivative (very) of Shostakovich theatre music. But it hits the spot....

Nice one rubbers

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                      David Platt's response to his mother's use of the phrase 'pushing the boat out'.
                      ... "that's an unfortunate phrase, innit..?"

Just caught it on the omnibus... And I see who Maria is now - such a bland dipstick, I'd never clocked her name before...

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Sorry to be so late in reposing. I had an initial idea ...

'Soloist sounds uncaring or American state adds pound to dieting girl' but decided it was too crossword-cryptic (but you are welcome to solve it ...it is an easy one)

so trying feebly to rise to the tenor of the last excellent clue I offer this for C

By Jove, maybe published by an ex-New York mayor or shall I change the weather?"

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Callisto?
                          Reasons:
                          Callisto is a satellite of Jupiter (By Jove).
                          Is there also a satellite called Callisto that's been sent up to explore weather patterns and climate change?
                          Callas (Callous)to sounds like Callisto.
                          Cal (ifornia) + l (pound) .....
                          That's as far as I've got.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

You're well on the way. It's not the satellite that I was thinking about. The moon Calisto is correct...Callas ...too easy, wasn't it!

Comment

• Anna

Wasn't there some guy called Callis who predicted climate change? No idea about New York Mayors or did he write to book mentioned by hercule above?

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

None of the above, I'm afraid, hercule and Anna. And climate change is not the weather!

Just to close off on Callas....Ofcachap was spot on with sounds uncaring ...ie Callous aka Callas. CA is the abbreviation for California, adds pound ...that's L in cryptic crossword land, and dieting girl is LASs...the dieting implies the truncation.

Have to confess I'm disappointed with the ease that Ofcachap came up with the Jupiter moon...thought I'd maybe put in some misdirection and that you'd all go off on a wild goose chase with Gods...

Comment

Working...
                                X