X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What others are there apart from the Tippett? I'm stumped...

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
      I wouldn't want to deprive you of the chance of setting us an 'E' question. Think of a set of dances from a work by an English composer the title of which evokes the most important day of the year at Stonehenge.

Does the composer begin with D? I've lost track!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        Does the composer begin with D? I've lost track!
        Nope. Message #2632: "(None of the three composers involved begins with 'D')."

Just back online, have no idea other than those already canvassed...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I note the Irish composer Brian Boydell (who?) wrote a Megalithic Ritual Dance but probably nothing to do with Midsummer, and surely too obscure, even for Ofca!

Shades of Spinal Tap... How tall do you want that megalith?

Comment

I expect Purcell wrote something appropriate for midsummer day?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
              I note the Irish composer Brian Boydell (who?) wrote a Megalithic Ritual Dance but probably nothing to do with Midsummer, and surely too obscure, even for Ofca!

Shades of Spinal Tap... How tall do you want that megalith?
              There is also this bloke's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_Aulin Midsummer Dance for violin and piano, Op 18....
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I can't contribute more - I'm in Paignton on Android
                gizmo and about to move out of range of civilization!l

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  There is also this bloke's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_Aulin Midsummer Dance for violin and piano, Op 18....
                  Hello, I'm Tor. Would you like to see my snowscape etchings?

and William Mathias wrote some Summer Dances for brass quintet which are most agreeable

Comment

It's not Vaughan Williams, is it? Job, a Masque for Dancing. No, VW didn't do Druids (I have the VW boxed set with Vernon Handley) just showing me credentials. Totally floundering here.

Oh Caliban now is on board, Let's go loco down in Acapulco Only joking. Well, if you insist. Someone solve it so I can rest easy tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Someone solve it so I can rest easy tonight.
                      I rather suspect Hercule already did in his last post...

I certainly will be sleeping very well after my and Mrs R's three peak grand walk of the Brecon Beacons today

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                        I rather suspect Hercule already did in his last post...

I certainly will be sleeping very well after my and Mrs R's three peak grand walk of the Brecon Beacons today
                        Rubbra, that is a lovely walk isn't, how wonderful we live in such amazing country, how sad people only think of Wales as slagheaps and moth eaten sheep in an Asda carpark in Brynmawr. Oh hercule solved it, thank the Lord, am I off the hook?
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-03-11, 21:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          Rubbra, that is a lovely walk isn't, how wonderful we live in such amazing country, how sad people only think of Wales as slagheaps and moth eaten sheep in an Asda carpark in Brynmawr.
                          There was a slight blemish in the idyll today though. When we got back to the carpark the boys from Brynmawr had evidently had their way with the car next door. The passenger window was smashed and I suspect something left inside had been stolen. Luckily the gang were spotted by another car owner and their car reg no noted. (Although that was probably stolen, too...)

Comment

I hadn't spotted Hercule's edit. The answer is indeed 'Dances': Dances With Wolves, the Courtly Dances from Gloriana and the Ritual Dances from Tippett's Midsummer Marriage. I would say that Anna did most of the work, but I'll leave it up to you to decide between you who sets 'E' - I'm about to log off and watch the last part of 'South Riding'.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                              I hadn't spotted Hercule's edit.

Comment

That's Ok, me E would have been rubbish compared to hercules
                                As me Nan would say, you done good girl, two out of three but she says, Contest the Tippett

Only joking, carry on, all good fun

Comment

Working...
                                X