This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Yes. I was ahead of myself. I said Faust and deleted myself and then I thought, book of spells, the third fugue (Bach, coda), then I thought - get thee to the kitchen, Maid, and attend to thy vegetables!

Comment

• amateur51

Ferruccio Busoni wrote an opera Turandot which was also the title of Puccini’s last and uncompleted opera

Busoni wrote Arlecchino the unreliable witness (based on the character in the commedia dell arte, and Doktor Faustus, based on the Faust legend, in which Faust is given a book of black magic spells.

I think mercs has the G

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Ferruccio Busoni wrote an opera Turandot which was also the title of Puccini’s last and uncompleted opera

Busoni wrote Arlecchino the unreliable witness (based on the character in the commedia dell arte, and Doktor Faustus, based on the Faust legend, in which Faust is given a book of black magic spells.
        [/SIZE][/I][/B]
        Phew... that was beyond me...

But what is the 'unreliable witness' connection with Arlecchino, prithee?
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Phew... that was beyond me...

But what is the 'unreliable witness' connection with Arlecchino, prithee?
          According to the wiki entry on Busoni's Arlecchino ..."The opera is in four movements with a corresponding representation of Arlecchino in each of them:[5][6]

I. ARLECCHINO als Schalk [Arlecchino as Rogue] (Allegro molto)
          II. ARLECCHINO als Kriegsmann [Arlecchino as Warrior] (Allegro assai, ma marziale)
          III. ARLECCHINO als Ehemann [Arlecchino as Husband] (Tempo di minuetto sostenuto)
          IV. ARLECCHINO als Sieger [Arlecchino as Conqueror] (Allegretto sostenuto)

The roles in Arlecchino are derived from the Italian commedia dell'arte. It is unusual in that the title role of Arlecchino is primarily a speaking role. The composer has said that Arlecchino "has a tendency to ambiguity and hyperbole in order to place the listener momentarily in a position of slight doubt."

Comment

• Anna

I always thought the unreliable witnesses were Italian fascists. And, now, I must get the meal ready!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              I always thought the unreliable witnesses were Italian fascists. And, now, I must get the meal ready!

Comment

• amateur51

I wonder if Anna is involved in her local Neighbourhood Watch scheme

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  I think mercs has the G

great F question

G connecting

Seymour Egerton, Dushkin and Marteau

Comment

• Anna

Why so the yikes? Is it because of my meal or that I can forgo history, forgive Italians their sins and prepare a cracking meal for myself and friend as we indulge in the Prom? There is mozarella, pancetta and basil in my recipe!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Why so the yikes? Is it because of my meal or that I can forgo history, forgive Italians their sins and prepare a cracking meal for myself and friend as we indulge in the Prom? There is mozarella, pancetta and basil in my recipe!! Now, I have to put the runner beans on ..........
                      Three of my favourite things...

The was at the sudden and unexpected incursion of Italian fascists into your Welsh culinary oasis!

Comment

• Anna

Three of my favourite things...
                        The was at the sudden and unexpected incursion of Italian fascists into your Welsh culinary oasis!
                        Oh Darling, I'm just a girl who likes to have fun, but, OMG, am I preaching to the unconverted?, because, dig a little deeper, and you get to some fascists, which, to be honest, are not terribly nice and hijacked a lot of stuff.
                        And now, my friend has arrived, and we have 25 mins before we bop to John Wilson and so looking forward to Seth MacFarlane!
                        Edit: perhaps I should delete? No. I'll go with it.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-09-12, 19:20.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Oh Darling, I'm just a girl who likes to have fun, but, OMG, am I preaching to the unconverted?, because, dig a little deeper, and you get to some fascists, which, to be honest, are not terribly nice and hijacked a lot of stuff.
                          And now, my friend has arrived, and we have 25 mins before we bop to John Wilson and so looking forward to Seth MacFarlane!
                          Edit: perhaps I should delete? No. I'll go with it.
                          Indeed, no deletions!

Seth is great, and an amazing phenomenon - but I think Julian Ovenden (Inspector Foyle's son from "War") is a better singer and an equally-impressive all-rounder

Have a wild evening!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post

G connecting

Seymour Egerton, Dushkin and Marteau
                            We are talking about some of the works of Bartolomeo Giuseppe Antonio Guarneri "del Gesù" (21 August 1698 – 17 October 1744), violin maker of Cremona.

Seymour John Grey "Sim" Egerton was the 4th Earl of Wilton. (I call on vindetable to provide suitable anecdotes and commentary ). He was a musician and worked with Arthur Sullivan, and owned the 1742 violin which became known as the 'Lord Wilton Guarnerius', later owned and played by Yehudi Menuhin.

Samuel Dushkin was Stravinsky's mate who collaborated with him on his violin writing - he owned a 1742 Guarnerius later played by Pinchas Zuckerman.

Last we have the 1731 Guarnerius owned by French violinist Henri Marteau (d. 1934) and more recently used by Maxim Vengerov.

I imagine mercia to be a-bed by this hour. I'm sure I'm right so may post an Haitch before long....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

What is the H that links the 14th century theologian Eckhart von Hochheim and the 17th century astronomer and mathematician Johannes Kepler with a top New York musical group?

Comment

• Tapiola
                                • Jan 2011

Hair.

I have no idea what I am saying. But, hello to all on this most estimable thread.

Perhaps I am obsessed with hair, or the lack of it, presently.

Comment

Working...
                                X