X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey: come on folks!

That's a long enough T break.

A chap who wrote a devilish piece and used a Strad - sorry, Ammy, played - and who was contemporary with Signor Strad... with a link to Dallapiccola...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Blimey: come on folks!

That's a long enough T break.

A chap who wrote a devilish piece and used a Strad - sorry, Ammy, played - and who was contemporary with Signor Strad... with a link to Dallapiccola...
      Are we talking Tartini here? Devil's Trill n all?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Are we talking Tartini here? Devil's Trill n all?
        Coarse we bloody well are!!

Care to fill in?

Comment

Coarse we bloody well are!!

Care to fill in?

Giuseppe Tartini (8 April 1692 – 26 February 1770).Tartini was the first known owner of a violin made by Antonio Stradivari in 1715, which Tartini bestowed upon his student Signor Salvini, who in turn bestowed it to Karol Lipiński upon hearing him perform, from which it derives its moniker, the Lipinski Stradivarius.

Tartini's most famous work is the "Devil's Trill Sonata," a solo violin sonata that requires a number of technically demanding double stop trills and is difficult even by modern standards

Luigi Dallapiccola was spurred to write his Tartiniana seconda, for violin accompanied by either piano or orchestra, by violinist Sandro Materassi; hoping for a sequel to Dallapiccola's well-received first Tartiniana, Materassi came to him with numerous photocopies of Giuseppe Tartini's works to use as source material. In the earlier venture, Dallapiccola had manipulated Tartini's diatonic themes as a serial composer would manipulate tone rows, while managing to preserve both emotional character and instrumental color. Tartiniana seconda was written according to the same plan and achieved a similar level of popular success after it appeared in 1956.

Howzatt?!?
          Last edited by Guest; 06-09-12, 10:09. Reason: highlights

Comment

Giuseppe Tartini (8 April 1692 – 26 February 1770).Tartini was the first known owner of a violin made by Antonio Stradivari in 1715, which Tartini bestowed upon his student Signor Salvini, who in turn bestowed it to Karol Lipiński upon hearing him perform, from which it derives its moniker, the Lipinski Stradivarius.

Tartini's most famous work is the "Devil's Trill Sonata," a solo violin sonata that requires a number of technically demanding double stop trills and is difficult even by modern standards

Luigi Dallapiccola was spurred to write his Tartiniana seconda, for violin accompanied by either piano or orchestra, by violinist Sandro Materassi; hoping for a sequel to Dallapiccola's well-received first Tartiniana, Materassi came to him with numerous photocopies of Giuseppe Tartini's works to use as source material. In the earlier venture, Dallapiccola had manipulated Tartini's diatonic themes as a serial composer would manipulate tone rows, while managing to preserve both emotional character and instrumental color. Tartiniana seconda was written according to the same plan and achieved a similar level of popular success after it appeared in 1956.

Howzatt?!?
            Pretty fine

And the connection with Madame Blavatsky?

Just leaving now - in any event, over to U...

Comment

Pretty fine

And the connection with Madame Blavatsky?

Just leaving now - in any event, over to U...
              Ooops of course!

Tartini is mentioned in Madame Blavatsky's "The Ensouled Violin," a short story included in the collection Nightmare Tales.

Comment

What U, in direct contrast to a British comic opera featuring twenty lovesick maidens, expresses this state through Mr Miller’s carving, etching and sowing, and is number seven on the running order?

Last edited by Guest; 06-09-12, 10:32. Reason: addition

Comment

Just a warning that I'll be out from 13:45 to about 17:30 today so get your thinking caps on

Comment

Best advice - start with the British comic opera's title ...

Which duo is the famous exponent of British comic opera?
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-09-12, 13:34. Reason: colon

Comment

Best advice - start with the British comic opera's title ...

Which duo is the famous exponent of British comic opera? ;winkeye:
                      Sounds like Utopia to me!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Sounds like Utopia to me!
                        Ah The Flowers of Progress!

Right composers, wrong opera - there's a clue in twenty lovesick maidens

Take your time, don't rush it, show some ...

Comment

Ah The Flowers of Progress!

Right composers, wrong opera - there's a clue in twenty lovesick maidens

Take your time, don't rush it, show some ...
                          Sullivan was OK 'til he linked up with Gilbert! Then I lost Patience. Unfortunately for now the garden beckons!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Sullivan was OK 'til he linked up with Gilbert! Then I lost Patience. Unfortunately for now the garden beckons!
                            Patience it is! Bravo cloughie!

So what's the opposite of patience? And not in English - maybe another European language?

Meanwhile Mr Miller - does he ring any bells? Any music about him? - no 7 on the running order? Hmmmm not likely to be a symphony then ... a song-cycle perhaps?

Comment

We assume Mr. Miller is not Jonathan but a regular miller, of grains and such and from your clues, a German song-cycle I would assume (I have no idea, only just looked at question and am talking aloud, the first bit about 20 maidens was easy, Bunthorpe's Bride as has been pointed out)

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                We assume Mr. Miller is not Jonathan but a regular miller, of grains and such and from your clues, a German song-cycle I would assume (I have no idea, only just looked at question and am talking aloud, the first bit about 20 maidens was easy, Bunthorpe's Bride as has been pointed out)
                                You got it, Anna - you

So a song-cycle about a miller, in German ... any thoughts?
                                Last edited by Guest; 06-09-12, 17:05. Reason: clarifier

Comment

Working...
                                X