X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Whilst I attempt to remedy my undoubted failings, might you rustle up a Ramsay-inspired coleslaw, followed by a showstopping, freshly-baked H ?
    You old smoothy! No-one can schmooze like you! Ok, hastily thought of (I had an I in mind before I realised what letter of the alphabet we were on) so, this is so easy.
    What H is:
    Weill and Brecht; Oscar Wilde; and something composed by a woman from Kentucky and pinched by Stravinsky. And, I will throw in Marilyn Monroe!

Edit: I will be erratic for the next couple of hours. OMG, and it's bluddy South Pacific. I am undone. I cannot do cryptic. I can do What is the Capitol of Bogata and assorted stuff and Quinoa. Bugler!
    Last edited by Guest; 23-09-12, 17:37.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      You old smoothy! No-one can schmooze like you!

Edit: I will be erratic for the next couple of hours.

OMG, and it's bluddy South Pacific. I am undone. I cannot do cryptic. I can do What is the Capitol of Bogata and assorted stuff and Quinoa. Bugler!

Well, no Ramsay coleslaw, it seems: here's some Tesco's finest - Baldassare Galuppi: wrote operas to lyrics by Goldoni, was one of the composers recruited by Catherine the Great for her St Petersburg Court, and was the subject of a poem by Browning...

Buona sera a tutti
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Northender

You old smoothy! No-one can schmooze like you! Ok, hastily thought of (I had an I in mind before I realised what letter of the alphabet we were on) so, this is so easy.
        What H is:
        Weill and Brecht; Oscar Wilde; and something composed by a woman from Kentucky and pinched by Stravinsky. And, I will throw in Marilyn Monroe!

Edit: I will be erratic for the next couple of hours. OMG, and it's bluddy South Pacific. I am undone. I cannot do cryptic. I can do What is the Capitol of Bogata and assorted stuff and Quinoa. Bugler!
        Weill/Brecht: Happy End
        Wilde: The Happy Prince
        Remaining clues: Happy Birthday to You (Mr. President)

Comment

• Northender

Patty and Milldred Hill composed 'Happy Birthday to You', which MM famously sang to JFK.
          I have an 'I' ready as soon as Anna gives me the feu vert!

Comment

• Northender

'Night all!

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

Goodnight, Northo. I think Anna's feu has been extinguished by all the rain. If there's one person who could be above Anna's Law, it is Anna herself.

You have some shut-I. We'll keep an I out for your Ideas in the morning
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Sorry about that - major power cut last night! So I got fed up and retreated to bed. Yes, the answer was Happy as so expertly explained by Northo. Chucking it down with rain here but luckily no flood alert yet.

Comment

• Northender

Good morning Anna - hope the weather has relented!
                  An 'I' please, to link:
                  A singer/actor associated with Zululand, Washington DC and Missitucky; a composer/poet associated with Seaton Delaval; and an accident-prone sub-lieutenant.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                    A singer/actor associated with Zululand, Washington DC and Missitucky; a composer/poet associated with Seaton Delaval; and an accident-prone sub-lieutenant.
                    Ivor Emmanuel (1927-2007) played Private Owen in the 1964 film Zulu, leading the singing of Men of Harlech. On stage he played Woody Mahoney in Finian's Rainbow, which is set in the mythical Missitucky. [Not sure at the moment about Washington DC.]

EDIT - he played Joe Hardy in a production of Damn Yankees, which is set in Washington

Ivor Gurney lived in Seaton Delaval approx. 1917-1918 between being invalided out of World War I and his (first ?) breakdown.

Ivor Novello crashed an aeroplane twice whilst serving in the RNAS.
                    Last edited by mercia; 24-09-12, 09:33.

Comment

• Northender

Correct in all particulars! On to 'J'!

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

well thank you so much - I just so happen to have a J at hand

J to connect

- Wednesday's Shir shel yom
                        - a performance of Elijah in a hall where the Strand Palace Hotel now stands
                        - a chromatic grande marche
                        - a collector of netsuke

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          well thank you so much - I just so happen to have a J at hand

J to connect

- Wednesday's Shir shel yom
                          - a performance of Elijah in a hall where the Strand Palace Hotel now stands
                          - a chromatic grande marche
                          - a collector of netsuke
                          Jenny Lind sang in a fundraising performance of Elijah at Exter Hall which stood on the site of Strand Palace Hotel

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Jenny Lind sang in a fundraising performance of Elijah at Exter Hall which stood on the site of Strand Palace Hotel
                            indeed she did [sorry not my J] - who conducted on said occasion ?

Comment

• amateur51

Are we looking for a Julius then?

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Are we looking for a Julius then?

four Juliuseseses

Comment

Working...
                                X