X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies if I have not been clear enough. The answer is not Polignac. However, I suppose there can be no objection against setting the same answer twice although personally I take pains to avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      But surely there is no rule against setting a question which will lead to a 'previous answer' - provided the clues are sufficiently devious and baffling. and unconnected with the previous route to the answer?

I remain, however, baffled as to where we are in the pea-stakes...
      I tend to agree, vinteuil.... but I remember I set Neilsen a second time (unwittingly) which was greeted with a whiff of rubbery disapproval...

I think the mighty task of pulling together all answers to date was prompted in part by a desire to help avoid duplication...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        I remember I set Neilsen a second time (unwittingly) which was greeted with a whiff of rubbery disapproval...
        ...and you still haven't learnt how to spell him. Whiff ! Whiff !

Comment

Originally posted by hercule View Post
          are there any viola players playing this game?
          whilst walking down Hollywood Boulevard?

Comment

Originally posted by hercule View Post
            whilst walking down Hollywood Boulevard?
            Are you actually going to answer, Hercule, or are you just helping me set more clues?

Comment

I was trying to help my colleagues, but I shall henceforth desist

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                Are you actually going to answer, Hercule, or are you just helping me set more clues?
                It seems hercule is a little backwards in coming forwards on this lovely Spring like morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  It seems hercule is a little backwards in coming forwards on this lovely Spring like morning!
                  Indeed. Why so coy, Hercule? I'm sure we'd allow you to Q jump...

Comment

Indeed. Why so coy, Hercule? I'm sure we'd allow you to Q jump...
                    The problem is, as I see it, if you know the answer almost instantly do you jump in and risk looking like a show-off and therefore deprive others of the fun of trying to solve it or do you wait until others have an inkling and then say something?

Comment

... or do you wait until others have an inkling and then say something?
                      Then you'll always look like a Jonny-come-lately. Better to look like a show-off, I would say.

...or refrain from participating at all, secure in the knowledge of your own brilliance

Comment

I have taken that on board. Apologies.

Comment

The problem is, as I see it, if you know the answer almost instantly do you jump in and risk looking like a show-off and therefore deprive others of the fun of trying to solve it or do you wait until others have an inkling and then say something?
                          It is a tricky decision - for example, when I read Anna's "L" my first thought was Liverpool and McCartney's Oratorio of that name... But I had no 'inkling' of the rest so didn't want to spoil it by jumping in with my hunch (as Quasimodo said to Esmerelda). I nearly said something like "Are we on Merseyside?"...

SO what's the verdict - do we prefer people to pitch in asap with a partial, guessed at answer?

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            for example, when I read Anna's "L" my first thought was Liverpool and McCartney's Oratorio
                            Ofca's L, surely? What's the matter with you today, Caliban?

Comment

...and you still haven't learnt how to spell him. Whiff ! Whiff !
                              The rubbery whiff of censoriousness is rather strong this morning. How do you spell the bugger's name, then, Nielsen? Ah yes that looks right. Bums.

Comment

Originally posted by hercule
                                Oh dear. Please don't fall-out chaps. I agree with what rubbers said in #2920 totally. (Wish I hadn't got out of bed this morning)
                                It's all right, Hercule. We're all friends here - especially Caliban and me

Comment

Working...
                                X