This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BetweenTheStaves

I don't think the rules allow anyone to pass! If we did then who would set the next? I think we can wait a bit!

I got thrown by 'issue' being children. And by assuming that the translation for old-timer had to start with a Y. Too literal, that's me.

After Z...What's wrong with going round again just starting at A?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by hercule
      sorry to be a pain - can I pass on setting the question? my last effort was somewhat pathetic and I don't really have time for research.

(couldn't have got Y without your clue)
      OK. Perhaps you can do another one later by proxy. Don't recall anything wrong with your last, but I know what it's like balancing this sort of thing with the domestic scene.

I hadn't been thinking about Z, knowing for a day or so that it's the one I wouldn't need! So give me a bit of thinking space, folks ...

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
        I don't think the rules allow anyone to pass! If we did then who would set the next? I think we can wait a bit!

I got thrown by 'issue' being children. And by assuming that the translation for old-timer had to start with a Y. Too literal, that's me.

After Z...What's wrong with going round again just starting at A?

Sorry, bts, we crossed. I'm quite happy to give Hercule as long as he wants - was just fitting in with his wishes, so back to him for further comment. Agree that A will come after Z (don't worry about my earlier flights of fancy).

Comment

• Don Petter

bts,

This sort of feedback is interesting. 'Issue' was a deliberate attempt to throw people slightly off the scent, without strictly being wrong. What about my suggestion of thinking of, or finding, a list of composers, since Y is so rare?

I think from the first I said that the required eight were Y and the seven others mentioned, so, by maths, Y and the old-timer had to be different people.

Comment

• Don Petter

BTS - I am more than happy for you (or Don or whoever) to set the Z question - this is my generous Christmas gift to you
            Sounds like Hercule has other commitments. Do you want to do Z, bts?

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

No...I'll let you do Z!

Not quite sure where I went off the rails. I took you up on your hint re the translation and did pick out old-timer as the most likely candidate. But then I got locked into a loop thinking it must start with a Y...nothing at all to do with thinking old-timer and Y were one and the same. I did find a translation that began with a y or to be precise the anglicised equivalent of the russian Y. Yelovek is an old-timer in Russian. Then after not being able to find anyone called Yelovek...I went off on a wild goose chase with Yevgeniy, Eugene ...which shares the same y in the russian alphabet as far as I could see.

But the big mis-route was, as I mentioned, focussing on children....that was a nice touch....issue.

Comment

• Don Petter

OK. Probably too easy (but I always say that).

Which Z had nominal success with lovers but still no Osca, even with Tosca?

Comment

• Don Petter

Great question!! - I think I have the answer but not wanting the necessary obligations I shall let others claim the prize.
                  You could PM me for confirmation if you like - I suspect you are right.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Would it be Zerbinetta?

Comment

• Don Petter

Would it be Zerbinetta?
                      No. Afraid not. Now you've got me interested in who Zerbinetta is. Must look it up.

(Hercule has guessed Z correctly, but is sitting out for a bit, so he doesn't get the cake, which is still up for grabs.)

Comment

• Don Petter

I've got to go out for a while shortly, but I'll check in when I get back later this evening.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Not Zeffirelli? He had a Oscar nomination for Romeo and Juliet. Is the point that he's never won an Oscar? But his Tosca wasn't a film, was it? (In fact I think he's done several opera house Toscas.)
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Not Zeffirelli? He had a Oscar nomination for Romeo and Juliet. Is the point that he's never won an Oscar? But his Tosca wasn't a film, was it? (In fact I think he's done several opera house Toscas.)
                            Zeffirelli is correct, and perhaps I was slightly misleading for effect. He was Stage Director for three films of live Met productions:- Boheme (1982), Tosca (1985) and Don Giovanni (1990), and my second point was indeed that he never won an Oscar for any film. Hercule guessed it quite quickly, but is not competing for the prize, which you have won. How appropriate that you are to cut the tape, so to speak, for the second round, by giving us a question for letter 'A', if you would.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Three operatic 'A's, with (possibly) recording associations:

1) An 'A' exclusively tied to one record label.

2) This 'A' is from a lesser known opera by this composer - with a disc to be avoided at all costs.

3) Another record label tie-in, favoured this time by Jupiter.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Simon

I'm a bit at sea here! There should be one answer, beginning with A, relating to the three clues. Does that mean that the answer is the name of a composer, as might be inferred from clue 2? I can think of 5 "A" opera composers ... but none fits the other clues as yet, at least without any research.
                                Last edited by Guest; 28-12-10, 02:41.

Comment

Working...
                                X