X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    I have a U quintet from the fjords and several song cycles with the same U but none of them dead or French - I'm growing to hate this thread- does everyone get like this, this early!?
    anton, there is only one dead Frenchman involved here, a very famous Romantic, this work was premiered in, I believe 1841, the U refers to a word in the title of the three pieces, common to all three. Please don't give up!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      I have a U quintet from the fjords and several song cycles with the same U but none of them dead or French - I'm growing to hate this thread- does everyone get like this, this early!?
      Anton, it goes in waves I find.. When I don't have enough spare brain-cells (due to work etc) I find it frustrating.. Banter about Pink Floyd, Corrie and bargain plonk from the Coop is fun to keep things bubbling.

But when at leisure, it's very easy to become engrossed again.

As for Anna's teensy-weensy clue-ette: all I can say is, what a tease!!! toot toot!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

I think it's down to U Caliban - I have chores I'm told!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

As for Anna's teensy-weensy clue-ette: all I can say is, what a tease!!! toot toot!
          Now Caliban, my little teensy-weensy clue-ette is oft the response of some of us to a lot of these puzzles. There was a bloke, Edward de Bono, who advocated lateral or parellel thinking, he said "You cannot dig a hole in a different place by digging the same hole deeper"

Gosh, that's deep for a Monday night!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Anton, it goes in waves I find.. When I don't have enough spare brain-cells (due to work etc) I find it frustrating.. Banter about Pink Floyd, Corrie and bargain plonk from the Coop is fun to keep things bubbling.

But when at leisure, it's very easy to become engrossed again.
            As dear old Fred Elliott would have said: 'He's not wrong, Anton, I say, he's not wrong!'
            We look forward to many more contributions.

Comment

• subcontrabass
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              anton, there is only one dead Frenchman involved here, a very famous Romantic, this work was premiered in, I believe 1841, the U refers to a word in the title of the three pieces, common to all three. Please don't give up!
              Translating from the French gives me two pieces, but I cannot find the American.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                Translating from the French gives me two pieces, but I cannot find the American.
                You have it in your sights I think but I may have misled with the American, should I have said a person renowned for his songs, and perhaps this is a madrigal song cycle for SATB and chamber orchestra rather than an orchestral piece? Sorry for that. Anyway, go for it subcontra! Further clue. A soldier
                Last edited by Guest; 14-03-11, 19:58.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

From an Unknown Past (Ned Rorem), Quintet Unknown (Rautavaara), The Unknown Island (Berlioz Nuits d'Ete)

Comment

• subcontrabass
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    You have it in your sights I think but I may have misled with the American, should I have said a person renowned for his songs, and perhaps this is a madrigal song cycle for SATB and chamber orchestra rather than an orchestral piece? Sorry for that. Anyway, go for it subcontra!
                    Google gets you there eventually. I will wait a while before answering as I do not want to set another V question.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                      From an Unknown Past (Ned Rorem), Quintet Unknown (Rautavaara), The Unknown Island (Berlioz Nuits d'Ete)
                      Oh Yes! Unknown Heavens Rautavarra!

And the clue was, in relation to this thread "Unknown! Which we all suffer from frequently! Over to you for a V

Comment

• Norfolk Born

'V': What name might lead you to a city in Ohio, The King of Comedy and a 17-year run on the telly?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

'V': What name might lead you to a city in Ohio, The King of Comedy and a 17-year run on the telly?
                          Well I know what the obvious answers (film and TV prog respectively) are to parts 2 & 3 - but danged if I can find a relevant and common 'V' which would lead also to the right town in Ohio...

Comment

• Norfolk Born

It sounds as if you've got the right 'V' for parts 2 and 3. The city in Ohio doesn't begin with 'V', but should lead you to the third answer.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

A clue before bed: the third 'V' was a composer.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

A clue before bed: the third 'V' was a composer.
                                Trouble is, I couldn't even find a 'V' to link the film and the TV programme!!

I'm off abroad on business in the morning till late Wednesday so I'm glad not to have found the solution - I would have to be in dereliction of duty as regards setting a 'W' and monitoring answers...

'V' good luck folks...

Comment

Working...
                                X