This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Keep yer 'air on Cali - Quite surprised to wake up and find I'm right. As you kindly took on the N when my setting cells were banjanxed. Give us 'arf a mo!
    Hair unruffled!

Morning, Cloughie
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

If anyone is interested, the Oliver I abandoned was his biographer Arthur *: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Benj...ctCurrency=GBP

Edit:- *As ferney points out, I should have witten Michael Oliver <doh>
      Last edited by Flay; 24-11-12, 13:50. Reason: Doh doh doh!
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
        If anyone is interested, the Oliver I abandoned was his biographer Arthur: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Benj...ctCurrency=GBP
        AH... Wherefore did you so, as a matter of interest? It was rather more coherent to have 3 Britten-related 'Olivers', no?

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          AH... Wherefore did you so, as a matter of interest? It was rather more coherent to have 3 Britten-related 'Olivers', no?
          I cannot explain my incoherent actions m'lud, except that it was set at half past midnight when my brain cells were befuddled.
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Not if you like Britten as much as I do - surprise I bothered!

A P which could be spinning and shaking in West Cornwall.

Comment

I cannot explain my incoherent actions m'lud, except that it was set at half past midnight when my brain cells were befuddled.
              I think I'm getting my knickers alliver twist, but what has Dickens' protagonist got to do with Britten? (And who is "Arthur" in 28007??)
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Not if you like Britten as much as I do - surprise I bothered!
                Don't get the connection between that and the previous comment! No matter, just... puzzled!

Meanwhile, back in Cornwall...

Comment

If anyone is interested, the Oliver I abandoned was his biographer Arthur: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Benj...ctCurrency=GBP
                  Or even Michael....

Time to regroup!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    I think I'm getting my knickers alliver twist, but what has Dickens' protagonist got to do with Britten? (And who is "Arthur" in 28007??)
                    The Britten connection was between two of the Os... not young Master Twist, I think.

Comment

Don't get the connection between that and the previous comment! No matter, just... puzzled!

Meanwhile, back in Cornwall...
                      Cali - just that apart from some of his excellent orchestral works and bits like Sea Interludes I am not a big fan of Britten - going back to the Shotakovich 4 thread I could say I've never really 'got' War Requiem or his operas and when it comes to Spring Symphony and Midsummer Night's Dream give me Schumann and Mendelssohn every time. There is also the Marmite factor over Peter Pears voice which many Britten works are built around - I find his tone with excessive vibrato not to my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        It was I who had the knickers twisted. Posting #28007 duly corrected.

As you were, chaps...
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

A P which could be spinning and shaking in West Cornwall.
                          A pasty in a washing machine...

Comment

Cali - just that apart from some of his excellent orchestral works and bits like Sea Interludes I am not a big fan of Britten - going back to the Shotakovich 4 thread I could say I've never really 'got' War Requiem or his operas and when it comes to Spring Symphony and Midsummer Night's Dream give me Schumann and Mendelssohn every time. There is also the Marmite factor over Peter Pears voice which many Britten works are built around - I find his tone with excessive vibrato not to my liking.
                            I was curious to find that the Sea Interludes were paired on disc with Shosty 4 by Previn with the Chicago SO. They seem strange bedfellows.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shostakovich.../dp/B001IKQ7LM
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

A pasty in a washing machine...
                              I would certainly not suggest that with the excellent ones we have here -vat free thanks to our battle.
                              So no its not the oggie.

Comment

I was curious to find that the Sea Interludes were paired on disc with Shosty 4 by Previn with the Chicago SO. They seem strange bedfellows.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shostakovich.../dp/B001IKQ7LM
                                Well I suppose it's all good Previn - great value for money - bu I think I'd have placed the Britten first on the disc.

Comment

Working...
                                X