Clear All
  • rubbernecker

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Yolanda??
    Is that a guess or a deduction?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Cheers, I'll have a large gin martini, dry with a twist, thanks!

:biggin: erm, I mean
      Caliban, glad to see you returned to these shores - and to form...

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Deductionish

Marculescu Bucharest Opera
        Kondonassis Clevland harpist
        And the Thief film of Fred Astaire named after the Battle of Astaire Cleckheaton Moor Coop

By getting the last one wrong do I avoid Z?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Deductionish

Marculescu Bucharest Opera
          Kondonassis Clevland harpist
          And the Thief film of Fred Astaire named after the Battle of Astaire Cleckheaton Moor Coop

By getting the last one wrong do I avoid Z?
          Cheeky boy. Yes, Yolanda Marculescu was the singer, Yolanda Kolonassis the harpist, and the film starring Fred Astaire (nee Fred Austerlitz) was Yolanda and the Thief.

If you don't feel brave enough for Z, we'll let you start off with A again, if you wish, as you're a new boy...

(I've updated the cumulative list of answers, which I'll post tomorrow morning)

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

I'll try a swift Z

What Z links

Waiting For Godot
            Lorenz Hart's stocks
            A Piano Concerto of 1784?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

The silence is I think that of thinkers and busy-fingered googlers... Superficially straightforward, your question Mr Gould - but devilish

Can't get any Z in connection with any of them separately, let alone together...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

I'll try a swift Z

What Z links

Waiting For Godot
                Lorenz Hart's stocks
                A Piano Concerto of 1784?
                I'm toying with Zero.

Zero Mostel played Estragon in W for G;
                Beethoven wrote an early piano concerto dated 1784 sometimes referred to as "0";
                Was Lorenz Hart's stock ever disparagingly described as zero...?

EDIT: The lyrics for "Off the Record" contain this line:
                My speeches on the radio have made me quite a hero
                I only have to say "My friends" and stocks go down to zero

I guess that must be it?
                Last edited by Guest; 17-03-11, 12:13.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

I'd do more than toy - I'm very happy to give it to you - possibly breaking the rules but Mr. Hart in the Nick Clegg inspired song "I'd rather be right" wrote of his stocks go(ing) down to zero! Let the next cycle begin!

Comment

• rubbernecker

I'd do more than toy - I'm very happy to give it to you - possibly breaking the rules but Mr. Hart in the Nick Clegg inspired song "I'd rather be right" wrote of his stocks go(ing) down to zero! Let the next cycle begin!
                    "I'd Rather be Right", indeed. I misread it as "Off the Record" which was the page heading on an LH website. (I would always rather be right - never mind...!)

A on its way. In the meantime...

Comment

• rubbernecker

Alphabet Associations
                      Previous answers – posts #0001 to#3055

A Ave Verum, Argo, Aspen, A (440hz), Alwyn, Amadeus, Adams, African, Antheil
                      B Britten (2), Beach, B flat, Ball/Barber/Bilk, Bechstein, Bayreuth, Burgon
                      C Columbus, Clytemnestra, Copland, Cockaigne, Crumb, Children, Cathedral, Calisto
                      D DG, Doric, Dragon, Demon, Draeseke, Dolly, Dark, Dances
                      E Enigma, Elisabeth, Eric, Ellis, Ellington, Erich, Eccles, Eclogue
                      F Fugue, Fritz, Florence, Ferguson, Fuchs, Fermata, Feux Follets, Faure
                      G Gloria, Gomez, Gabrieli, Gioconda, Goossens, Gayaneh, Gnome, Grace
                      H Hirondelle, Henri, Harold, Hammer, Harty, Henze, Hahn, Harriet
                      I Indian, Invicta,Ian, Iphigenia, Imperial, Inches, Igor, Idyll
                      J Joseph, Juilliard, Jacob, Jacques, Joplin, Jerusalem, Jeremiah, Jenner
                      K Kapellmeister, Kuijken, Kronos, Kreutzer, Koeln, Karl, Knight, Kullervo
                      L Lvov, Lancashire, Lyadov, Landi, Lincoln, Litany, Lombardy, Liverpool
                      M Malibran, Malcolm, Merrie, Martinu, Miller, Metronome, Missa Luba, Mark
                      N Neville Cardus, Nielsen (2), Neptune, Nono, Nyman, Newcastle, Nevers
                      O Orff, Ondine, Orlando, Orpheus, Orange, Oliver, Oramo, Open
                      P Philip, Petrassi, Papa, Pacific 231, Passacaglia, Padstow, Polignac, Primrose
                      Q Quodlibet, Qualiton, Quartets, Quincy, Quint, Quasthoff, Quilter
                      R Reimann, Romania, Rim, Rawsthorne, Rhapsody, Roman, Ripieno, Red Red,
                      S Serpent, Staatskapelle, Stravinsky, Solveig, Schnittke, Shellfish, Sackbut, Sessions
                      T Tamburlaine, Tales, Trittico, Tippett, Thomas, Twins, Turandot, Tango
                      U Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia, Unknown
                      V Viola da Gamba, Vasary, Venusberg, Venice (2), Vanishing Bridegroom, Victor
                      W Waldtaube, Weill, Walkure, Winter, Wilhelm, Walton/Weller/White, Walter
                      X Xaver, Xylophone, Xenia, X (double sharp), Composers ending in X, Xanadu
                      Y Ysaye, Yo Yo Ma, Yellow (2), Yves, Yolanda
                      Z Zeffirelli, Zimmermann, Zappa, Zamiel, Zero

Comment

• rubbernecker

What A links a composer with regal pretensions, a so-called hunchback, and one who added nothing to a ballet?

Comment

• Simon

Very good of you to keep these records, O nosy one.

I can't get in now, because all you polymaths keep on with subjects that I know nowt about! And I haven't time to spend googling at the moment.

Some really excellent conundrums, IIMSS.

Take care all,

Simon

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                            IIMSS
                            what does that one mean?
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Simon

Sorry - it means "if i may say so". Just a sort of courtesy thing, to make clear that you're genuinely being complimentary and not patronising.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                what does that one mean?
                                "if I may say so"

(...without being hectoring, patronising or onanistic about it )

EDIT: Whoops! That was quite a cross-posting...!

Comment

Working...
                                X