Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
      Great minds, rubbernecker, great minds.

IIMSS

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        Great minds, rubbernecker, great minds.

IIMSS
        Looks like Simon and Rubbers may have similar hobbies...

IIMSS
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
          What A links a composer with regal pretensions, a so-called hunchback, and one who added nothing to a ballet?
          Adam, I think.

No 3 came immediately to mind as a lead on from Z: Adam Zero, the ballet by Arthur Bliss.

No 2 is Adam de la Halle, "dit Le Bossu", a thirteeth century composer and troubadour - cf http://adam-the-hunchback.blogspot.com/

As for No 1, I am presently stumped..... I am assuming Adolphe Adam but don't know why the regal pretensions.

Update: I do know why: his opera Si j'étais roi (1852) - "If I were the King"...
          Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 17-03-11, 16:08. Reason: Regal penny just dropped

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Adam, I think.

No 3 came immediately to mind as a lead on from Z: Adam Zero, the ballet by Arthur Bliss.

No 2 is Adam de la Halle, "dit Le Bossu", a thirteeth century composer and troubadour - cf http://adam-the-hunchback.blogspot.com/

As for No 1, I am presently stumped..... I am assuming Adolphe Adam but don't know why the regal pretensions.

Update: I do know why: his opera Si j'étais roi (1852) - "If I were the King"...
            Oh, bravo, Caliban. Zero led me to Adam, too. Great minds, indeed... And the Adolphe Adam and Adam de la Halle answers are also spot-on.

B, my guest...

Comment

excellent indeed Caliban I was, as often, lost in cyberspace!

Comment

Although I'm not playing at the moment can I express appreciation to rubbernecker our Archiver for updating the answers so far, which I have copied and pasted into a Word document. Most useful.

Comment

Apologies for the delay. Shortly after solving A, the day erupted with meetings etc. I shall endeavour to reassemble a few brain cells and come up with a B during the evening.

Comment

Just before going home, an easy (I think) B which links (among a host of others) the master of the bandoneon with those responsible for musical Voltaire and some unbelievable woodwind playing.
                    Will check back in an hour or so from now.

Comment

Astor Piazolla, Leonard Bernstein (Candide) and Walter Piston (The Incredible Flutist) were all pupils of Nadia Boulanger. She seems to have taught everybody, in fact.

Comment

Astor Piazolla, Leonard Bernstein (Candide) and Walter Piston (The Incredible Flutist) were all pupils of Nadia Boulanger. She seems to have taught everybody, in fact.
                        What a prodigious display of quicksilver mental acuity, rubbers. I haven't even got on the bike yet.

Can you think of a C-word?

Update: I can
                        Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 17-03-11, 20:21. Reason: I thought of a C-word

Comment

What C connects a pianist who had a composer uncle, an imp who was ostracised, and the oldest picture palace in the world?

Comment

What C connects a pianist who had a composer uncle, an imp who was ostracised, and the oldest picture palace in the world?
                            Curzon:

Clifford Curzon: nephew of Albert Ketelbey
                            Frederic Curzon: composer of "Dance of an Ostracised Imp"
                            Curzon Cinema, Clevedon (oldest cinema in continuous use in the world)

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              Curzon:

Clifford Curzon: nephew of Albert Ketelbey
                              Frederic Curzon: composer of "Dance of an Ostracised Imp"
                              Curzon Cinema, Clevedon (oldest cinema in continuous use in the world)

I didn't think that would detain anyone very long.

Looking forward to a D from scb...

EDIT: and of course Clifford Curzon was another pupil of Nadia's

Comment

I didn't think that would detain anyone very long.

Looking forward to a D from scb...

EDIT: and of course Clifford Curzon was another pupil of Nadia's
                                Blimey, it's lightning fast on AA tonight!

Comment

Working...
                                X