X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read it the other way round that there are three separate A's. But equally at sea. perhaps 3 is arkhiv productions...part of universal music...universe....jupiter...straws..clutching

Comment

Jupiter was father of Mercury, but this was presumably a result of favouring Maia Maiestas (Mercury's mother) rather than Mercury, so that doesn't really fit either?

Comment

I think that 3 is Aquila...To honor the events surrounding Ganymede becoming the new cup bearer and servant of the gods, Jupiter placed the eagle, a shape he assumed when carrying Ganymede to Olympus, into the heavens as the constellation Aquila (eagle), and then immortalized Ganymede by placing him in the heavens as the constellation Aquarius (water bearer).

And that 2 is Alcina as there is a magic ring in it...straws..still clutching.

No idea on 1

Comment

I've clearly broken Simon's rule by having three 'A's, each of which involves the title of an opera. And - with the important addition of a 'possibly' in respect of one - a recording connection too. Number 1 was the easy one.

BTS, you're on the right lines there, though the record label is wrong and the Jupiter connection too (this opera title is in Italian).

Edit: Oops! BTS, I was referring to your first attempt. Second one is No-no.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Well, whilst we get on with this, perhaps the rules need reiterating, as I think they are important in making the exercise doable by those of a narrower general musical knowledge, like me.

Please try to think of it like a circle with a central answer in the middle. Around this answer, all pointing inwards, are the "arrows" of the clues, eache linking in some way to the answer. There can be three or more, depending on the question setter's judgement of the need.

That said, this one of ff's is clearly an interesting one, though I shan't get near it, I fear - and if everyone thinks the rules should be changed, then please say so! Thanks! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Three operatic 'A's, with (possibly) recording associations:

1) An 'A' exclusively tied to one record label.

2) This 'A' is from a lesser known opera by this composer - with a disc to be avoided at all costs.

3) Another record label tie-in, favoured this time by Jupiter.
              I'm happy to withdraw my impossible conundrum but then I shall flounce off in a sulk and not set another one .

1) If I were to say: An 'A' eternally tied to one record label, and invite people to think of a Very Well Known record label which appears in an opera title, tied to an A. Yes?

2) The second A is in the title of a youthful opera by a well-known composer of opera who died young, and his disc is not a CD

3) The third A was a legendary label and the stamping ground of the Italian Jupiter
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

1 Ariadne auf Naxos

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                  1 Ariadne auf Naxos
                  Indeed. The other two are tougher

Comment

For 3: Andromeda is a record label and an opera by Benedetto Ferrari. Jupiter saved Perseus, who later married Andromeda?
                    Last edited by Guest; 28-12-10, 18:42. Reason: Clarification! (and typo)

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                      For 3: Andromeda is a record label and an opera by Benedetto Ferrari. Jupiter saved Perseus, who later married Andromeda?
                      I might have to give you that one, Don. I've never heard of the Andromeda label, but I was playing some Haydn quartets only yesterday (played by the Aeolian Quartet) on the label I was actually thinking of. I can bury this one quietly, though, if you like ... No. 2 left.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        I might have to give you that one, Don. I've never heard of the Andromeda label, but I was playing some Haydn quartets only yesterday (played by the Aeolian Quartet) on the label I was actually thinking of. I can bury this one quietly, though, if you like ... No. 2 left.
                        No, I don't want to win by bending anything, and the stamping ground wasn't really there. Andromeda is in MDTs current list of labels. (As is Amon Ra, who was Jupiter, but no Italians or stamping or opera there, as far as I can see!)

Comment

2. Apollo. Opera Apollo and Hyacinthus by Mozart. Apollo killed Hyacinthus accidentally with a discus that was blown off course.

Comment

A straw of clutchment for number 2:

Mozart wrote an opera called Apollo and Hyacinth. Apollo was the sun, which is a disc, and these days we're supposed to avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                              A straw of clutchment for number 2:

Mozart wrote an opera called Apollo and Hyacinth. Apollo was the sun, which is a disc, and these days we're supposed to avoid it.

Well done scb. We crossed, but you got it all right, I suspect.

Comment

Handel: Jupiter in Argo?

If it is right, I only got it from your Aeolian Quartet clue, so don't feel that clever.

I don't think it can be right now, as the letter would be either 'J' or 'G' (for Giove in Argo).
                                Last edited by Guest; 28-12-10, 19:07. Reason: Addendum

Comment

Working...
                                X