This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Doubledecker-itis: highly contagious. Interesting twofer puzzle from Lats back then - I remember it now I read it.

Oh well.
    I am stricken! Note how the clues were longer and possibly easier to solve... (and to set!)
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
      After all, he was interviewed on Radio 3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_Bother%3F
      Oh that the Beeb would repeat these gems and the Private Passions episode featuring the 112-year old Viennese percussionist Manfred Sturmer

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Oh that the Beeb would repeat these gems and the Private Passions episode featuring the 112-year old Viennese percussionist Manfred Sturmer
        Oh indeed, Ammy! And Jimmy Disprin http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...y-1082057.html

Please don't be cross with me for the delay. I need a V to connect a Capital proposal, Rob Roy and Eloida *, and an East Asian Jubilamus

* Typo - see below!!
        Last edited by Flay; 07-12-12, 14:01. Reason: Disprin added
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I need a V to connect a Capital proposal, Rob Roy and Elodia, and an East Asian Jubilamus
          Aaaagh - a typo <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

a Capital proposal,
            Should that be a capital Capital proposal?

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
              Should that be a capital Capital proposal?
              Of course....
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

So you seem to be looking for Valletta, nominated to be a European Capital of Culture in 2018, and the birthplace of Alessandro Curmi (composer of operas including Rob Roy and Elodia di Herstall) and of Carmelo Pace (composer of Jubilamus, performed by the Kyoto Symphony Orchestra during Expo '70 in Japan).

Comment

So you seem to be looking for Valletta, nominated to be a European Capital of Culture in 2018, and the birthplace of Alessandro Curmi (composer of operas including Rob Roy and Elodia di Herstall) and of Carmelo Pace (composer of Jubilamus, performed by the Kyoto Symphony Orchestra during Expo '70 in Japan).
                  Brilliant, subby, what an excellent return to AA.

I was Worrying that it was all too obscure.

What can you Worry us With?
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Try a W to link a three-cornered hat, pearl fishers, and a boy's magic horn.

Comment

Cor, Dumbledore: magic!

I wouldn't have got that in a month of Sundays.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Cor, Dumbledore: magic!

I wouldn't have got that in a month of Sundays.
                        ...and if you're like me Cali you'll never get his W in the next month of Sundays without a few more pointers.

Comment

Try a W to link a three-cornered hat, pearl fishers, and a boy's magic horn.
                          We are clearly being directed to find a W link between the works by Falla, Bizet and Mahler respectively... or is that a misdirection?

Taking the puzzle at face value, a common W has eluded me so far. Offline for a bit now though...
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

We are clearly being directed to find a W link between the works by Falla, Bizet and Mahler respectively... or is that a misdirection?

Taking the puzzle at face value, a common W has eluded me so far. Offline for a bit now though...
                            Snap

Comment

[COLOR="#0000FF"]We are clearly being directed to find a W link between the works by Falla, Bizet and Mahler respectively... or is that a misdirection?
                              That is a misdirection. Works NOT by Falla, Bizet and Mahler.

Comment

We are clearly being directed ....

Taking the puzzle at face value...
                                ... surely we know by now that subcontra is the subtlest beast in the field!

Comment

Working...
                                X