This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    To be honest, even if you posted a clue I think I would still be clueless about this one!!
    Same here, I suspect, but feel free to drop a hint - or two - once the Six Nations excitement has died down. I doubt if Wales can do it, but let's hope today's third match provides a fitting finale to what's been a pretty exciting series of matches.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
      once the Six Nations excitement has died down. I doubt if Wales can do it, but let's hope today's third match provides a fitting finale to what's been a pretty exciting series of matches.
      But, do England deserve it? And if Wales were to win, it would be by 27 points which is impossible

Ang on a mo, this puzzle is about an E the answer something to do with England?
      Last edited by Guest; 19-03-11, 20:14.

Comment

No Anna - the E isn't "English" as such - although the third individual you're after was English but mainly worked and died in the US. The first two individuals were both German.

Only E2 was and is known solely as a composer, although E1 composed as well. E3 performed.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Another clue for the morning: re No 2, the key word is 'helm'... or rather, 'Helm'. That should allow you to get 2 and hence the rest, I would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            'Helm'.
            apparently C P E Bach's compositions were catalogued by Mr Helm but I don't think that has anything to do with anything

Comment

Originally posted by hercule View Post
              apparently C P E Bach's compositions were catalogued by Mr Helm but I don't think that has anything to do with anything
              Hercule, you are wrong.... that it doesn't have anything to do with anything.

It has something to do with everything.

C P E Bach is the answer to the second limb of the question.

One down, two to go.

Comment

It has something to do with everything.
                I see (actually I don't)

Are you saying that someone with an entry in the Hollywood Walk of Fame knew CPE Bach's father? - surely not

Comment

Originally posted by hercule View Post
                  I see (actually I don't)

Are you saying that someone with an entry in the Hollywood Walk of Fame knew CPE Bach's father? - surely not
                  Indeed not. But look back at the clues I've given - there is another way No 3 could have been familiar with CPE Bach's dad.

And as for "something to do with everything": well if you look at your answer in post 3111, the solution to the whole thing is literally there before you!

Comment

the solution to the whole thing
                    Emanuel?

Comment

Emanuelle? :cool2: Manuel? This is turning into one of those occasions on which I become more confused as more is (apparently) revealed. I dare say all will become clear....

Comment

No ... but I've just discovered that Helm's first name was Eugene...
                        EDIT: And Eugene Ormandy is the recipient of the Hollywood honour?
                        SECOND EDIT: Eugene d'Albert's opera 'Scirocco'?
                        Last edited by Guest; 20-03-11, 12:01.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                          the recipient of the Hollywood honour?
                          according to Caliban this person was English

Comment

We're not back with the Goossens, are we?
                            EDIT: Since I've no idea whether I'm even on the right track, and the sun has put in an appearance, I shall leave this matter in the more- than-capable hands of M.Poirot.
                            Last edited by Guest; 20-03-11, 12:26. Reason: My brain hurts

Comment

I'm afraid I've drawn a complete blank.
                              I bet rubbers is off-stage having done-and-dusted this hours ago

Comment

Sorry to be causing headaches! And to have been offline for a couple of hours.

Yes, No 3 was English, but known for his performing work in the US. In the original question, I used the word 'stopping' deliberately. What instrument does that suggest?

Hercule, when you got CPE Bach, I thought initially that you were doing so well!!

(And yes, that's another clue! )

Comment

Working...
                                X