X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hercule View Post
    well Balfour Gardiner (uncle of Nazi-sympathiser Rolf and great-uncle of Sir John Eliot Gardiner) was certainly my Dorset farm connection

my clumsy wording of "philosopher's musical first" means a work (premiered in Frankfurt) unmistakeably connected to (German) philosophy, but NOT composed by any of the Frankfurt Group
    I think that gives us "Also sprach Zarathustra" by Richard Strauss, (title from Nietzsche, premiered Frankfurt 1896).

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

Yes, well done Subcontra, correct in all respects, sorry for my vague wording

the G definitely belongs to you

Comment

• subcontrabass
        • Nov 2010

Yes, well done Subcontra, correct in all respects, sorry for my vague wording

the G definitely belongs to you
        What G links a gentleman in the Strand to six cousins of his contemporary?

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

this sounds suspiciously like Mr Handel according to Percy Grainger

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

this sounds suspiciously like Mr Handel according to Percy Grainger
            Good start.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

mmm, unfortunately that Lutheran contemporary of his had more cousins than I've had hot dinners

(they weren't all called George were they?!)

Comment

• subcontrabass
                • Nov 2010

mmm, unfortunately that Lutheran contemporary of his had more cousins than I've had hot dinners

(they weren't all called George were they?!)
                Yes (or rather "Georg"). Sorry, I miscounted them - there are seven, all musicians:

Georg Christoph Bach (b Erfurt, 6 Sept 1642; d Schweinfurt, 27 April 1697)

Georg Friedrich Bach (b Tann, 17 March 1793; d Iserlohn, 2 Oct 1860)

Georg Michael Bach (b Ruhla, 27 Sept 1703; d Halle, 18 Feb 1771)

Johann Christoph Georg Bach (b Ohrdruf, 8 May 1747; d Ohrdruf, 30 Dec 1814)

Johann Georg Bach (b Eisenach, bap. 2 Oct 1751; d Eisenach, 12 April 1797)

Johann Georg Bach (b ?Güstrow, 1786; d Elberfeld, 6 Dec 1874)

Philipp Christian Georg Bach (b Ohrdruf, 6 April 1734; d Wernigshausen, 18 Aug 1809)

Your "H", I think.

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

oh dear, I didn't mean to get it that quick, you were exceptionally kind there

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Seeing as the question(er) was all at sixes and sevens, I reckon you did pretty well.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

'Sorry for my vague wording...'
                      'Sorry I miscounted them...'
                      Get a grip! The questions are difficult enough as it is without having to stop and wonder whether they've been checked by those who set them.

Comment

• Anna

And were all those Georg's clog dancing in The Strand? Only joking Have to log off now.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by hercule
                          Mr Ofcachap, please would you set the next question so that I can see how it should be done

Thank you
                          Now. Now Boys. Play nicely or it'll be the Naughty Step for you!

Edit: I did expect an H to mull on overnight.
                          Last edited by Guest; 20-03-11, 23:30.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Oh dear. The thread appears to have hit another weird fermata. Can anyone tell me what's going on as I have (as was correctly suggested above) been up a Welsh mountain today (the Sugarloaf) and have also just demolished yet another bottle of the Co-Op Rioja. How rapidly have I become stereotyped!

Caliban - I have to say I found your E very intriguing, but I have to agree with Ofca that unless the E stood for something common to all 3, such as Ernest, Eugene or Emmanuel, it falls outside what we vaguely understand to be the 'rules' of this game. No wonder no one could get it, had it not been for all the force feeding...

Now will somebody please set the next question else Mistress Anna will be upon you with her cane!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Welcome back Rubbers. Yes the tumbleweed seems to have blown into town... What seems to have happened is that hercule solved scb's G, but then sought to hand it over to ofca in consequence of the latter having offered some trenchant comments... with the result that nobody's set one.

I'm hoping that hercule is in fact working on an "H" to kick the week off...
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                                Caliban - I have to say I found your E very intriguing, but I have to agree with Ofca that unless the E stood for something common to all 3, such as Ernest, Eugene or Emmanuel, it falls outside what we vaguely understand to be the 'rules' of this game. No wonder no one could get it, had it not been for all the force feeding...

!
                                Yes, I think Ofcachap and Rubber-necker are right here...

Mind you, I wdn't have got Helm anyway, because I'm one of those who still use Wotquenne to find my way around Carl Ph: Emmanuel's works...
                                Last edited by vinteuil; 21-03-11, 07:48.

Comment

Working...
                                X